Search the forum,

Discuss £££ though it was a locomotive lol. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

REDSAW

exclusive customers mansion i found this, the top is foot level with the first floor airing cupboard,
the rest is in a wall above the aga (breast)with a 2x2 service hatch. how the hell am i going to get it out as its weeping around those top bolts:skep:
the house is at least 1920's or older so suspect cylinder is too, tam?

i recon theres asbestos lagging down the pipes too!!

IMG_1455.jpg

wont be cheap to get out but should be easyish and very old i would say early than that, and it could be ab on lagging

wont be cheap to get out but should be easyish and very old i would say early than that, and it could be ab on lagging

8 beds 5 baths and 10000 rads!! i wont be doing it. told him to wait until it lets go and put a claim in as my insurance is only £1.5m

8 beds 5 baths and 10000 rads!! i wont be doing it. told him to wait until it lets go and put a claim in as my insurance is only £1.5m

10,000 radiators ? think of the scrap

reminds me of a story the old man told me about erddig hall

ground floor rooms sizes didnt add up, there was 8 foot missing out of one small room, turns out there had been a door plastered up before the war as like a safe (all the posh china and silver in there)

opened the door to the room up (had to take the old lathe and plaster off etc), there were boxes and boxes of posh china (top notch) and this cylinder sitting in the corner it was riveted together with half your fist size rivets and about 8 foot tall and 2 foot dia and about half an inch thick copper

some how the builders removed it without taking the wall down and no hot works :D

Thats fibre insulation. Yer safe enough.
As for getting it out just take the hammer to it. Not your problem and anything can be fixed

never seen any cylinders that old, is the brass tube a thermometer?

never seen any cylinders that old, is the brass tube a thermometer?

yes it has what looks like mercury in it, and it still works!
the whole cylinder is sited in a 2&1/2 foot sq shaft at floor board level. beneath is a 2x2' panel that comes off above the aga.
it must have been lowered into the hole and connected downstairs befor airing cupboard was built.

That may not be as old as you think
It looks like a Manchester Calorifiers unit with the bolted top with steel rings.
There's a gasket (neoprene) under the lid, they go hard and crack.

Here's the lid of a 1200ltr one we took out a couple of years ago, fitted in the 80's

DSC_0579.jpg

That may not be as old as you think
It looks like a Manchester Calorifiers unit with the bolted top with steel rings.
There's a gasket (neoprene) under the lid, they go hard and crack.

Here's the lid of a 1200ltr one we took out a couple of years ago, fitted in the 80's

View attachment 27183
bet those bolts dont come out & can u get a gasket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to £££ though it was a locomotive lol. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, some professional advice would be greatly appreciated, We are having an Unvented Cylinder installed into our 2 bedroom ground floor flat. I have had a few quotes and been given lots of differing advice, this always makes me wary, especially having suffered a history of poor quality work by...
Replies
Views
Hi PlumbersForums. I've been having some issues with my central heating system in a 4 year old new build property for over a year now. I have some mental health issues with anxiety so this might be exaggerating the problem somewhat but please bear with me. My issues start with Plumber A doing...
Replies
Views
A
Hi, Sorry for the long post, but I think detailed information will help you in providing maximum input! I live in a 3 bedroom end terraced house, which has a low pressure, gravity fed water system, whereby the water tanks are in the loft on the top floor, and the bathroom is on the same floor...
Replies
Views
Associate
A
D
TL;DR version Getting new combi to replace vented conventional system Q 1) thoughts and opinions of weather compensating programmers? Q 2) Most of my CH pipe is 15mm will a chunk of this need to be replaced with 22mm? Q 3) Condensing boilers need a return of 55c or under to be most efficient...
Replies
Views
S
Hello! I am renovating a cottage and am starting from scratch with the heating system because the original boiler consisted a massive iron tank with 5 immersion heaters in it, which cost a fortune to run and wasn't all that effective, and the radiator circuit is very very old and needs to be...
Replies
Views
Simon1
S
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock