Search the forum,

Discuss £700 for repairs to Ariston mincrogenus boiler and still not fixed... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treefan

Hi
Im going crazy over my Ariston Mircogenus 24 boiler (6 years old).

Its not heating water properly and you only get some hot water to the nearest bathroom as the water pressure has to be lowered. The ensuite gets no hot water at all!

So far I (well, my plumber) has

1. Replaced PCB board (£250).
2. Replaced secondary water exchanger (£190)
3. Replaces hot water sensor (ditto)
4. Desludged system (£250)

Water is still not heating properly!
Im tearing my hair out....what else can I don to get this boiler working????

Hi
Im going crazy over my Ariston Mircogenus 24 boiler (6 years old).

Its not heating water properly and you only get some hot water to the nearest bathroom as the water pressure has to be lowered. The ensuite gets no hot water at all!

So far I (well, my plumber) has

1. Replaced PCB board (£250).
2. Replaced secondary water exchanger (£190)
3. Replaces hot water sensor (ditto)
4. Desludged system (£250)

Water is still not heating properly!
Im tearing my hair out....what else can I don to get this boiler working????
find a cheaper gas engineer unless your in london those prices are absurd

find a cheaper gas engineer unless your in london those prices are absurd

Get a new engineer who knows what they are doing.
Where do you live?

Option 2 is to get a new boiler fitted.

Last edited:
Not everyone has the money to replace their boiler every 6 years.
What so throw away £700 plus I would hazard a guess a few days off work, seen it all before, crap boiler would have advised to replace with anything with a 5 or 7 year warranty or left with custard to get another engineer who "thinks" he can do a cheap repair........ hindsight is a wonderful thing, but a good substitute is real world experience

Its had £700 thrown at it, and it's still not right. So they probably havent assessed the problem properly. £250 to desludge the system, isn't money spent on the appliance.

I repaired a boiler last week. £700 repair! I advised a change might be order of the day, but they didn't have a couple of grand to replace it. Like I said, not everyone does.

I agree with what you're saying in priciple, but like I say, not everyone can afford to heed your advise.

700 quid??? Was it this man.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 161
yep I feel like this...

and yes, a new boiler would have been the answer but I dont have the cash for this

post your location up in the need a plumber/gas engineer section there are loads of knowledgeable folk on here who can fix this for you

post your location up in the need a plumber/gas engineer section there are loads of knowledgeable folk on here who can fix this for you
As above get a better engineer to check, divertor valve is not passing or faulty dhw flow switch can't be much else?

Just a thought could it possible be that the diverter valve is letting by? Thoughts anyone?

As above get a better engineer to check, divertor valve is not passing or faulty dhw flow switch can't be much else?
i bet if the plate heats been replaced and a powerflush done some rubbish has gone in the dv bottom safety spring and is holding it open

I suppose the obvious question is with the CH off, does the heating circuit get hot on hot water only demand?

i bet if the plate heats been replaced and a powerflush done some rubbish has gone in the dv bottom safety spring and is holding it open
Yep a good chance, I could, as we all could.....say how to test for this, but I think it's best the OP gets a recommended RGI in!

have you got a mixer shower or tap turn off cold to boiler and open a hot tap there should be no flow if you have flow then a mixer is passing worth a check

have you got a mixer shower or tap turn off cold to boiler and open a hot tap there should be no flow if you have flow then a mixer is passing worth a check
That's awesome advice, once had this on my sisters WB, they had unknown to me hot and cold outside taps both joined by a y piece to wash the dog, trigger off on hose, both taps left open you can guess the rest, cold diluting the hot! Nrv's now fitted

your obviously listening and getting good at this game buckley,your turning into a outstanding engineer

That's awesome advice, once had this on my sisters WB, they had unknown to me hot and cold outside taps both joined by a y piece to wash the dog, trigger off on hose, both taps left open you can guess the rest, cold diluting the hot! Nrv's now fitted

caught me out last wk fitted a gloworm betacom a 4 months ago and hw got worse over time spent ages checking boiler the burner would modulate up and down but only 29 degree water . called glow worm out who found problem and made me feel like a fool :-(

your obviously listening and getting good at this game buckley,your turning into a outstanding engineer

Its called experience. Most learning comes from the university of life whatever your profession or interests .

caught me out last wk fitted a gloworm betacom a 4 months ago and hw got worse over time spent ages checking boiler the burner would modulate up and down but only 29 degree water . called glow worm out who found problem and made me feel like a fool :-(
Lol pal, you mean Gloworm turned off the cold mains boiler isolation valve, to change some bits and got wet through!

not that good mate that baxi 105 e i pm you on got the better of me thought i fixed it but 2 days on and gone again . dont like things beating me and feel like a failure when cant sort some things but hey i am not a manufacturer and dont carry a van of bits to try if all else fails .

Lol pal, you mean Gloworm turned off the cold mains boiler isolation valve, to change some bits and got wet through!

no mate first thing he did was isolate cold to check for mixer passing said he had 6 like this in past 3 months .

Getting more common with cheap showers and brassware no doubt!

definatley - had a megaflow that kept loosing its air bubble and dripping on exp relif valve. only found after changing the exp relif and pres reducer and still did the same .

definatley - had a megaflow that kept loosing its air bubble and dripping on exp relif valve. only found after changing the exp relif and pres reducer and still did the same .
Yep had this also, too many outlets it could have been, so put a 3 bar PRV above mains stopcock so all outlets and showers where balanced, on the megaflo you can do this on install as long as you record where the PRV is fitted etc, if a complete new build obviously everything would go via the PRV's balanced port.

Yep had this also, too many outlets it could have been, so put a 3 bar PRV above mains stopcock so all outlets and showers where balanced, on the megaflo you can do this on install as long as you record where the PRV is fitted etc, if a complete new build obviously everything would go via the PRV's balanced port.

they used to come with a seperate press reducer and cold exp relif but now seem to be combined

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to £700 for repairs to Ariston mincrogenus boiler and still not fixed... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock