Search the forum,

Discuss 0800 number in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Just asking for opinions..

Do you think it looks better/more professional (especially if trying to get estate agent contracts) to have a freephone 0800 number than a mobile number?

Personally I think it does but just seeing what you lot think.

I'm gonna be getting my van signed and think it looks better with a freephone number as I think it looks professional.

Or use yay.com.

I got a number via them, which uses VoIP which is an 0330 number. Use it mainly for customers phoning as looks so much better.

Or use yay.com.

I got a number via them, which uses VoIP which is an 0330 number. Use it mainly for customers phoning as looks so much better.

I've just registered with SwtchboardFREE - has some great features!

When I'm hiring a professional I avoid 0800 numbers.
An area code tells me that the guy actually lives in my area, which is a must for me incase of callbacks, aftercare etc.
I also think that the overheads for a company with an 0800 must be higher and that must inflate the price.
I also avoid companies that try to sound bigger than they are. There's a one man band handyman advertising in my area at the moment, his advert says something like:
Plumbing division.
Electrical division.
Plastering division.
Carpentry division.
Planning division.
- it goes on but you get the idea.
I know a few tradesmen too who are one man bands and their adverts say 'we' and things like 'one of the team'. It's dishonesty from the start in my book and puts me right off.

how much a month and for what a new number and voicemail

half the people i find dont like leaving voice-mails rather send you a text or ring you back

When I'm hiring a professional I avoid 0800 numbers.
An area code tells me that the guy actually lives in my area, which is a must for me incase of callbacks, aftercare etc.
I also think that the overheads for a company with an 0800 must be higher and that must inflate the price.
I also avoid companies that try to sound bigger than they are. There's a one man band handyman advertising in my area at the moment, his advert says something like:
Plumbing division.
Electrical division.
Plastering division.
Carpentry division.
Planning division.
- it goes on but you get the idea.
I know a few tradesmen too who are one man bands and their adverts say 'we' and things like 'one of the team'. It's dishonesty from the start in my book and puts me right off.

Yeah I hear you. I don't plan on doing things like that in terms of trying to look bigger than I am. But I do want to make myself look professional. Thing is with an area code, I'm stuffed if me and the Mrs move up north. So I figure a freephone number is pretty universal and not area specific so I wouldn't have to mess around with a number change.

how much a month and for what a new number and voicemail

half the people i find dont like leaving voice-mails rather send you a text or ring you back

It's just a divert service to my mobile but I get voicemail, it tells me if I've had a missed call and the number, it also tries my number first and up to 4 other numbers if I'm unavailable or unreachable if no service etc (so I can get the Mrs to answer calls too), when I answer it tells me it's a call from my 0800 number before it connects it so I know to answer it in a certain manner. I can also program the line to only be open at certain times - say between 7am and 10pm so I don't get calls at stupid times, and i can set a separate voice message for out of hours callers.

It's £19 a month with 400 minutes included which I don't see me ever reaching.

Yeah I hear you. I don't plan on doing things like that in terms of trying to look bigger than I am. But I do want to make myself look professional. Thing is with an area code, I'm stuffed if me and the Mrs move up north. So I figure a freephone number is pretty universal and not area specific so I wouldn't have to mess around with a number change.

If you move up North, would you want a London number?! In my experience, most people will phone the mobile as they have inclusive minutes or will text you. Only seems to be elderly customers phone my landline as they still think a mobile call will cost them 2 soveriegns!
An 0800 number is just another expense on top of everything else and something else to set up and manage

I have an 0800 number. When I set up I didn't have a landline number I could use and didn't want just a mobile number as I thought it may put people off. I just divert it to my mobile anyway, but I find a lot of people try that number first and then the mobile second.

I have an 0800 number. When I set up I didn't have a landline number I could use and didn't want just a mobile number as I thought it may put people off. I just divert it to my mobile anyway, but I find a lot of people try that number first and then the mobile second.

So do you put your mobile along side the freephone?

Way I see it ....

Companies have 0800 and independents have their mobile numbers on their van. Some people don`t like calling 0800 numbers and some old timers don`t like calling a mobile.

Thing is with an area code, I'm stuffed if me and the Mrs move up north. So I figure a freephone number is pretty universal and not area specific so I wouldn't have to mess around with a number change.

That's largely irrelevant Jay. If your worry is keeping the same number so people don't have to learn a new number, you'll no longer be covering the same area so everybody will have to learn a new number for you anyway as a new business in the area.

If your concern is changing your business stationery, you'll have to change address on your letterheads anyway. Only really your business cards that you'd have to bin.

I did a fair amount of research into this when I started out - surveys etc. What I learned was not to underestimate the power of "local". A surprising number of people distrust firms with only a mobile no. They feel that 0800 numbers mean the company is big and faceless. Hotmail/gmail address makes people doubt the firm's solidity and authenticity - anyone can set one up.

People do trust landline numbers with local area codes because until fairly recently you had to show ID, proof of address etc. to get a landline. Most people aren't really up to speed with how easily available virtual landlines and VOIP are. A mate of mine has got something like 12 separate landlines, to cover all the local dialling codes, eg:

020 8521 1234
020 8524 1234
020 8527 1234

The number of people who say "Oh, your just round the corner!" is huge, and it makes him seem more trustworthy. It really is a big thing for people to think that you're very local. It's comforting. These lines all tap into one main line, diverted to his mobile or any other number, and cost about £2 each.

If I were you I'd spend my money on that rather than 0800. Bear in mind also that many younger people nowadays don't have landlines, only mobiles, and not all providers give free calls to 0800 from mobiles, but everyone gives free landline minutes. Add a mobile number for texts and you're golden...

Last edited by a moderator:
That's largely irrelevant Jay. If your worry is keeping the same number so people don't have to learn a new number, you'll no longer be covering the same area so everybody will have to learn a new number for you anyway as a new business in the area.

If your concern is changing your business stationery, you'll have to change address on your letterheads anyway. Only really your business cards that you'd have to bin.

I did a fair amount of research into this when I started out - surveys etc. What I learned was not to underestimate the power of "local". A surprising number of people distrust firms with only a mobile no. They feel that 0800 numbers mean the company is big and faceless. Hotmail/gmail address makes people doubt the firm's solidity and authenticity - anyone can set one up.

People do trust landline numbers with local area codes because until fairly recently you had to show ID, proof of address etc. to get a landline. Most people aren't really up to speed with how easily available virtual landlines and VOIP are. A mate of mine has got something like 12 separate landlines, to cover all the local dialling codes, eg:

020 8521 1234
020 8524 1234
020 8527 1234

The number of people who say "Oh, your just round the corner!" is huge, and it makes him seem more trustworthy. It really is a big thing for people to think that you're very local. It's comforting. These lines all tap into one main line, diverted to his mobile or any other number, and cost about £2 each.

If I were you I'd spend my money on that rather than 0800. Bear in mind also that many younger people nowadays don't have landlines, only mobiles, and not all providers give free calls to 0800 from mobiles, but everyone gives free landline minutes. Add a mobile number for texts and you're golden...

Totally see your point. I'll look into it. Cheers mate

I've taken everyone's advice and have gone for an 0203 number!

Cheers everyone, much appreciated for the advice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 0800 number in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Fitted unvented hotwater cylinder building control looking forms signed it off job was in england i am qualified northern ireland send out a form to fill in what do u need to sign off in england as building control said they dont give out forms like they do in northern ireland
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock