Search the forum,

Discuss 1/2" bottom entry fill valve not sealing well in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I fitted a Fluidmaster 1/2" bottom entry fill valve in a toilet about 4 years ago, and it's all been problem-free until last week, when the seal against the cistern began to leak.

Looking at again, I'm not entirely convinced about the sizes of the fittings:
the water pipe fitting underneath the cistern is 1/2", the hole in the bottom cistern is 3/4". Looking at how the valve mounts to the base of the cistern, there's a rubber seal on the inside, but I'm not convinced that it's sitting well in the 3/4" hole. On the outside, there was only a wimpy plastic nut which barely covers the 3/4", hole with no seal that side.

I've tried refitting it, and adding a 3/4" poly washer (from a previous siphon-repair adventure) on the outside, but it's still not sealing that well.

So, some hopefully quick questions for you experts:
  1. Am I using an appropriate valve?
  2. Is it right that there's only one rubber seal on one side of the cistern mounting?
  3. Can you recommend anything to clean around inside of the cistern around the hole before refitting a seal? There's a small amount of limescale there which is hard to get to, and may well causing sealing issues. I'm resisting using citric acid or Viakal or equivalent to dissolve the limescale in case traces are left behind and attack the rubber seal.
Thanks!

As above and sometimes you can use a tap back nut they have a bigger flange area

Thanks very much for the quick replies. Really helpful to know I've not got it totally wrong. Yep, flanged backnut looks like a much better idea for the outside.

Or you could use a ballvalve back nut - type that has a shoulder to centre the valve in the cistern hole.
Need to check though that the nuts shoulder does fit the hole.

• Agree
Reactions: rpm
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 1/2" bottom entry fill valve not sealing well in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock