Search the forum,

Discuss £12 an hour Agency??!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mcgoo's

Honestly thinking of changing career at this rate, is this the rate across the board??!!
By the time tax, fuel costs, van insurance/tax and tool money is taken out, what have i got left, sweet naff all. I just returned from Oz where i was on £30phr, so why do we get treated like this here??
Whats more is that i'm on the same rate as these 12 week plumbers who don't know their arse from their elbow (vents sloping the wrong way, tees sloping in the wrong direction etc), how can you become a plumber in 12 weeks??!! Sorry if I sound like a negetive nancy but somethings gotta give!!

stck to the rules or else.!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Many of the competition we're up against haven't even done as much as a 12 week course!

They need to make a much more thorough skill competencey scheme, as it CHEESes me off acting as a supervisor and not getting paid for it. They let any numptey with a nvq 2 and a spanner on site!!

last warning!!!!

They need to make a much more thorough skill competencey scheme, as it ****es me off acting as a supervisor and not getting paid for it. They let any numptey with a nvq 2 and a spanner on site!!

Now I know where I'm going wrong - must remember to buy a spanner tomorrow!

Honestly thinking of changing career at this rate, is this the rate across the board??!!
By the time tax, fuel costs, van insurance/tax and tool money is taken out, what have i got left, sweet f@#k all. I just returned from Oz where i was on £30phr, so why do we get treated like ****e here??
Whats more is that i'm on the same rate as these 12 week plumbers who don't know their arse from their elbow (vents sloping the wrong way, tees sloping in the wrong direction etc), how can you become a plumber in 12 weeks??!! Sorry if I sound like a negetive nancy but somethings gotta give!!

From NI to Aus to England and still moaning about everyone else's ability

Plumbings no good in Aus but being paid double, no jobs in NI, try England next, if, thats not bad enough no-ones as good as I am....

Stop moaning and get on with it, if your that unhappy change careers. Certainly not an easy choice but certainly do-able OR are you going to become bitter and twisted and blame everyone else.

Where will you be happy....

By the time tax, fuel costs, van insurance/tax and tool money is taken out, what have i got left, sweet naff all. I just returned from Oz where i was on £30phr, so why do we get treated like this here??

stck to the rules or else.!!!!!![/QUOTE

welcome home mate where about in OZ was you workin

Money, or no money, great thing about being self employed is you can choose the jobs you want to do and those you want to leave, you can (within reason) work when you want and take an hour or two or day(s) off at short notice.

Obviously, the busier you are the more difficult this is, but then if you're that busy you're likely to be on much more than £12 an hour.

I fully appreciate the problems our plumbing fraternity face but and i say this with a heavy heart we have no one to blame but ourselves,normally what would happen is a contractor would employ plumbers full time and pay them union rate maybe slightly more pay there stamp etc etc,however the building trade boomed and suddenly all these plumbers thought all they had to do was by a van put there name on it and they had there on business,return to the contractor make more money hey presto this is the best move we ever made.
Sorry then comes the recession these plumbers with the van and there presumed own business suddenly have no work because they still want to earn big money that doesn,t exist so they look for work and are still expecting big money sorry union rate.
The guys who have there proper own business continue making good money because they still have there clients ie private work,contracts and sustainable work based on service etc bearing in mind most of these guys dont even have there name on there van try years not months.

I was on £12.20 and a 48 hour week which was £576 top line and £460 after tax and admin fee, still a decent wage

yes i agree go to work easy shift back home 4.30 these guys have had it to easy earning £1000 per week we are plumbers not brain surgeons you can still earn £1000 per week over 80 hrs

unfortunately there are to many plumbers about supply and demand

There are too many people masquerading as plumbers I would say Mr. Leaky. The number of vans I see driving around that I have never seen before is unbelievable, then I never see them again, so I can only assume they find it too hard going & wrap up.

There is a big housing development starting around here soon, 5000 houses, so hopefully a lot of plumbers will go back to site work.

I was speaking to an old mate in the pub yesterday, a spark with 40 years experience. Last time i had seen him he had been laid off so i asked if he had got another job. £7.20/hr on a months work. He knows they are ripping the knitting but has little choice as he has bills to pay so he took it.
What a sorry state this country is becoming.

£12ish is the norm up here for advanced plumbers on site, at the moment I'm subbing and getting £475 a heating system or £100 for a day rate, just got another contract with SSE which has better money so will be going for an induction next week(which will be payed for they say) so hopefully this turns out as good as they are making it out to be as it will be mostly boiler changes(i hate full heating systems!!)

We were at their offices on friday and we were interviewed and had to sit a written test on questions from CCN1(questions mostly on open flued appliances) the questions caught all of us out, and I'd imagine some people failed but don't know who yet, I don't think I got 100% anyway

"£12ish is the norm up here for advanced plumbers on site" I was going to continue and do gas but it seems like there is little point. By the time you insure the van, pay for your training, replace tools that are worn out you may as well have taken a job in tesco on the night shift stacking shelves. its easy to see why people leave the uk and go to oz and places like that.

I'm talking about £12 for working on sites where u get travel expenses and maybe a company vehicle

Get a contract with a local council. Loads of steady maintenance work, set hours, home by 4.30pm and 1.30pm on Fridays and the money is good, also considering that a van, material, diesel and work wear is supplied free of charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to £12 an hour Agency??!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock