Search the forum,

Discuss £170 down the swanny in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Fitting en suite at the moment and the Mira Flight 1000mm shower wide shower tray just fitted tight in the alcove, it was so tight i had to fit the Aquapanel down onto it and then tile all three sides.

After I grouted I removed the dust sheets that had been there all week and then removed the blue protective wrapping to reveal a huge thumb shaped dent right in the middle like it had been wacked hard with a hammer. :sweatdrop:

My heart sank like a stone as i new taking the tray out and swapping it was not an option as it would mean pulling the walls down. How the dent got there is a mystery as i had two thick dust sheets down as i tiled and i certainly didn't drop anything on it. Its about three times worse than if you dropped a tile on the corner. It either must have been there on delivery or the sparky did it when he came when I wasn't there and didn't say anything.

Anyway I called plastic surgeon and they came and did a spot repair, for more money than the tray itself cost and to be honest you can still see the repair as its far from invisibe but 90% better than it was.

Next time blue wrapper comes off before I fit it and plywood over bubble wrap aswell.

Gutted.

That's a real pity mate. The joys of plumbing sometimes. At least you fixed it, some I know would have walked away and ignored it.

It's a real catch this one.

Chap I work with insists we remove coverings before starting so we can check for damage. I prefer to removing covering at the end so it minimizes any risk of scratches (which are more likely to happen from dropped tiles, grit under the dust sheet, etc).

I've learned the hard way also. Few years ago had the same thing with a Mira Flight tray. Not dented but large scratch, and that was under the blue wrap so came from factory like that. Was a 4 upstand and was tiled as well. Just had to remove tiles & replace tray. Lesson was learned so always check before fitting & put a solid floor on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to £170 down the swanny in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock