Search the forum,

Discuss 22, 15 & 10mm Rad Pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.

I just wanted to know what effect, if any, it will have on my combi heating system replacing some of the 10mm pipes to my rads with 15mm?

Its a bungalow and the boiler is piped up to span most of the loft in 22mm. This is then stepped to 15mm and then to 10mm for the drops down to the rads.

Previous owner buried the 10mm copper pipe in the plaster with no plastic protective wrap so I am keen to remove them asap as we are having most rooms replastered anyway.

There are two rads in the living room and one in the hall with buried 10mm plastic pipe which will not be replaced. Also there are three more in trunking mounted 10mm copper that will stay.

I want to replace some of the 10mm drops with 15mm chrome surface mounted as i have already done in the kitchen. All heating is working fine at the moment with the kitchen in 15mm but i wanted to double check if replacing more of the 10mm with 15mm wether or not it would effect the performance of the rest of the system that is still 10mm? I hope this makes sense.

Cheers

Last edited:
The loft space is pretty tight at 4ft max at the apex hence why 10mm has been used previously to make it easier to feed up/down deep in the eaves.

Last edited:
You will reduce the frictional resistance in the sections of your heating system which will be fed by the new 15mm pipes.

You may find that these sections can rob the 10mm sections of water/flow rate, and reduce the performance of those 10mm sections.

You should be able to check down the lock shield side of the rads of the 15mm sections in order to re-balance the system.

However, it is not always that straight forward and I would advise you to get a Heating Engineer to look over it.

I was wondering if i would need to get into balancing.:(

Thanks for the quick reply. Maybe a rethink then although i will still need to get out and replace the 10mm from the plaster before it pin holes and leaks.

10mm pipe can only be run short distances to each radiator.
Drops can be just about okay as they are probably only about 6metres long (flow and return combined). But any greater length will make the rads slow at heating and perhaps not perform properly the colder the weather gets.
I prefer the 15mm pipes, but as Last Plumber warns, the easier flow on 15mm pipes will rob flow to the 10mm pipes unless the system is balanced.

10mm pipe can only be run short distances to each radiator.
Drops can be just about okay as they are probably only about 6metres long (flow and return combined). But any greater length will make the rads slow at heating and perhaps not perform properly the colder the weather gets.
I prefer the 15mm pipes, but as Last Plumber warns, the easier flow on 15mm pipes will rob flow to the 10mm pipes unless the system is balanced.

Each 10mm leg in the converted garage is about 9m long, no wonder its always the slowest to heat up then.

Leave the 10mm, they will be fine. Don't stress, balancing the system isn't too difficult. Just open all lock shields and TRVs and warm heating system from cold. Go around and feel which radiators get warm first. Turn the lock shield on the 'first warm' radiator all the way down and then back open 1/4 turn. Next warm rad lock shield all the way down and back open 1/2 turn. Next 3/4 turn and so on. Usually doing 3 or 4 rads is enough to get adequate balance. There is a more technical and precise way to balance heating systems but this is usually adequate.

I have to replace pipework to a few rads as the 10mm is buried in the plaster which I dont want to have skimmed over and then wait for it to pin hole. Also they are fed up through the eaves too so i dont fancy waiting for them to freeze.

I wanted to replace the 10mm where i could in 15mm by repositioning rads and rerouting pipework to a more central position in the loft. Its a fairly shallow pitched roof so the easier it is to access the pipes the better.

Its just as long as the system can be balanced with 10mm & 15mm pipes really.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 22, 15 & 10mm Rad Pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi thank you for letting me join this forum . We have an air to water heat pump but the bungalow is piped in micro bore 10mm pipe which doesn’t look well piped , kinky in pipes in some places ,some of the rad don’t heat up too well , probably because of the badly piped system, the pipe is all...
Replies
Views
I have Honeywell Valencia TRVs 10mm pipe size, I’m making mods to accommodate larger rads and it looks like the 10mm compression insert is special to Honeywell as all available inserts are 15mm to 10mm which do not fit as the compression nut has a 10mm hole, not a 15mm. Anyone know if you can...
Replies
Views
Hi All I'm planning on replacing a couple of rads soon as they are far too small for the size of the room causing the room to take an age to heat up but they are all connected via what I assume is Hep2O nothing is labled on the pipes that route behind the rad just on the flap behind the rad...
Replies
Views
I am told I need to replace my boiler. I am considering a system boiler so I can lose the tank in the loft and feed it direct from the mains water. My rads are fed by 10mm plastic pipe. Is there much of a pressure increase with a system boiler and will the plastic pipe joints (e.g. John Guest...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a leak on the live side of one of my rads, in the GF loo. Its a condensing combi system, the house is only 5 years old, so fairly new. The leak is at the bottom compression fitting on the lockshield rad valve. The rad is a chromed steel towel rail, and the valve is brass/copper, the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock