1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Dismiss Notice

Couple of important things to note. 1. We use Cookies, deal with it. Every website does. 2. Nobody but a currently-registered Gas Engineer should be touching gas or gas appliances. Don't mess with gas at all. 

Discuss 28mm copper pipe instalation?? Commercial plumbing in the Commercial Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Ecoplumbing

Ecoplumbing New Member

Can anyone help??!!!
    Been asked to carry out a cold water mains installation to serve a fire hose from an existing copper pipe in a factory. The pipework will need to run 16m horizontally then drop 8m vertically. The pipe will be 28mm copper. my issue is will this length of pipework be affected with expansion, ie does it matter if compression fittings are used?
    Also what is the best way of clamping the pipe to a steel support beam ?

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

is the fire hose on a separate fire circuit ? or is it just on the water main?

3. Chalked

Chalked Plumber GSR

Why compression????
    Solder fittings much more reliable. Or hire a copper press fit gun and do it in press fit. Would be cheaper than compression. Even adding in the hire cost.

4. ShaunCorbs

im guessing no hot works

5. Ecoplumbing

Ecoplumbing New Member

It's mains fed as far as I'm aware

6. Ecoplumbing

Ecoplumbing New Member

It's in a paper mill, hot works can be done but there'll be a lot of risk assessments to fill in!

7. ShaunCorbs

right couple of pointers

get approval from the water supplier / board first as sometimes they class fire reels as cat 5

but what are you doing about backflow prevention ? if its class as 3/4

i wouldn't worry about expansion at that length its not going to be much 25mm at most (more like 10mm)

you have a few options depending on what steel beam you have

M10 Vertical Flange (1-5mm) Threaded Rod Hanger

Flange Clamps Lindapter & BTS

Heavy Duty Beam Clamp ( Pair)

25-30mm Surefix XL Rubber Lined Pipe Clamp -

i would press fit tbh

geberit 28mm press fit fittings

Copper | Pipekit

and you can hire the tool for about £150 a week (£ 40 a day) roughly

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Ecoplumbing

Ecoplumbing New Member

9. Ecoplumbing

Ecoplumbing New Member

Thanks. I'll look into it. I was going to put a double check valve on as close to the hose as possible. Press fit sounds like a good option , I've not done much commercial work before and certainly not installed a 16m run so was unsure about the expansion. Think that's helped me out a lot anyway

10. ShaunCorbs

double check would be ok if the water board classed it as cat 3

cat 4 would need a rpz valve

or 5 a break tank

tbh i think they would class it as cat 4

but what ever they decide get it in writing

11. Ecoplumbing

Ecoplumbing New Member

There's 3 other hoses already on the system that have check valves on so was just going to copy those. I'll definitely look into what cat they are though so nothing comes back on me. Thanks again

12. ShaunCorbs

fair enough there not on there own circuit are they ?

also dont forget to lag it

either foil insulation or armaflex

Armaflex Insulation, Knauf Pipe Insulation and Rockwool Pipe Lagging PipeLagging.com

13. Ecoplumbing

Ecoplumbing New Member

No, they're all on the same system, the customer just wants another hose connection adding to it . Definitely be lagging it though

14. Gareth Harris

Gareth Harris New Member

Don't just copy what's there as you may fall foul as pointed out by @ShaunCorbs@ShaunCorbs

Another good point raised is that this work needs to be notified to the Water Supplier, and they will also assist in identifying the correct backflow prevention to install.

You also need to consider stagnation in the pipe to the shower hose, so may also require a single check valve where it tees off the main.

good luck!

15. Ecoplumbing

Ecoplumbing New Member

I'm still awaiting for the job to be accepted so I'll definitely be in touch with the water board if I get the job . Thanks for all your advice

16. Gareth Harris

Gareth Harris New Member

No Problem. You need to speak to the Water Regs department. as you haven't stated who the water supplier is contact details for all can be found here: WRAS Water Company Contacts

Better to do it once and get it right than have to go back!

17. Ecoplumbing

Ecoplumbing New Member

Yes, I don't fancy going back once it's done . Most of the pipework is suspended 8m high so I don't fancy paying for access twice !