Discuss A diagnosis please... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tocacar

Please see the attached photos of a leak in a pipe next to my hot water tank. Can this be fixed with a simple drop of sealant (or other DIY method), or does it require professional attention?

I would very much appreciate any qualified plumber's opinions. If it requires profession attention (i.e., it cannot be properly fixed by DIY methods), please let me know what would need to be done and how much you think it would cost (ball park estimate).

Thank you very much.

Attachments

• IMG00088-20101101-2240.jpg
    IMG00088-20101101-2240.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG00091-20101101-2242.jpg
    IMG00091-20101101-2242.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 69
good luck to anybody willing to try and repair this, it looks like the pipework and fittings are very corroded and rotten, personally i would drain the system, remove pump and valves, replace valves on either side of pump. visually inspect connecting pipework and replace accordingly, re-fit pump, fill and vent system, as good as new, Price, £120+ materials on second glance at the pictures it may require a new pump?

Thank you so-solar. About how much would materials cost (approximately)?

i am with so solar but i would not attempt to remove the pump it would be a new one

i agree,
take 2 asprins and have a good nights sleep see if syptoms persist in the morning.

if so, it requires re-pipe, new valves, and more than likely a new pump (the innards of this pimp is proberbly corroded).

those valves are the worst type, the ball inside corrodes and dissapears into the water ways very often, replace with gate type.

i am for the £120+ parts too.
pump £70.
valves £12.

Bit of a wire brush up and some new wall paper,maybe a bit of milli put,jobs a good un
:):)

see pressurised system,so draining not a big problem,as said new valves and pump,get sorted for the winter snap !

agree with both puddle and redsaw, if unvented no draining needed, well relief of pressure, (only time me and airlocks agree), straight forward enough if boxes fit new valves if not PRV/TRV might need moved but unlikely. 120+ seems fair

£200 all in is most likely.

99% of leaks are beyond the skill of a basic DIYer anyway . . .

Dont believe those adverts for 'magic plmbers tape/sealant' that goes outside of the pipe and the like - these simply do not work!

If they did, plumbers would use them wouldn't they?

Last edited:
The pump body looks corroded too, god knows what the rest of the system looks like internaly, Id charge you a day + parts £260.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to A diagnosis please... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back