Search the forum,

Discuss A little bit of everything in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starky

Gas Engineer
Hi all.

Firstly sorry if this is in the wrong section, but the title suggests it is a little bit of everything.

Right, I've been asked to help a good friend with a loft conversion on his fist floor two bed massioante. The work I have been asked to do is to rip out the old heat only boiler and change it for a combie. Along with the plumbing for the loft which consist of a toilet
Shower and basin. (just for info) There is also an existing bathroom which has a shower, bath, basin and toilet.

I've measured the incoming main pressure (static) at 2.1 bar and a flow rate of 12l/m. The mains coming out of the floor at the ground floor level is only 15mm. I was hoping for more as I would need to provide hot water to two bathrooms. Along with converting all the cold outlets to mains which appear to be run in 15mm copper. I can see this being a pottenial issue.

So the questions are is there a way to increase the flow rate? Which would then enable me to put in a bigger Combie. He's not up for digging a new main, so I've been looking into accumulators but don't know enough about them.

Would I also need to up the cold water pipes sizeing to the out lets? Would it make any difference? as I will now have the whole property on the mains and many different outlets competing with one another.

Thanks.

Hi Starky,

In my opinion best option would be to upgrade the mains in coming water pipe ( if not done yet ) to mdpe 25mm that should solve the issue with more flow rate.

I guess that would be the best way of solving the issue. I just had it done few days ago. I have got another customer where I have to upgrade too.

Especially with 2 bathrooms , you definitely need to upgrade. I don't know much about the accumulators so I can't help you but perhaps @ShaunCorbs or @Chalked

Once you've got the mains upgrade it you should be fine with 15mm unless long runs

Stuart Turner

That would be your best bet

Accumulators only keep the flow when more than one outlet is open at the same time they don't really increase the flow that much

Best if you can repipe from the mains stop tap (new) in 22mm and don't reduce it until your close to the outlets

Another thing that helps is full flow ISO / lever valves, don't install the cheap ISOs as they restrict the flow even more

Thank you both for your replies.

Funnily enough I've been in contact with Stuart turner today, they subsequently put me on to there sister company TWS. I spoke with a nice chap called Martin who took down all the relevant information to give me a quote.

He advised that an accumulator would give me the 17l/m I need for a big combie. But also stated that to increase pressure I could retro fit a pump on to help.

Any other thoughts or opinions welcome.

Check my link would get around 20lpm with my link

Or tws mains boost plus

Tws are very good and Martin will sort you out

You won't boost your flow past 20lpm as the waterboard don't like you if you do

Hi shauncorbs.

I was under the impression that the accumulator would help the flow rate to any given outlet and only needing one open.

I'm not very clued up on these units. The one you suggested looks good as it appears to be able to fit into a cupboard. I will only need 17l/m for the combie required.

If you have the time could you elaborate on how the accumulator works?

By my little understanding the accumulator stores water at let's say 2bar, then delivers the water to your out let's. My sticking point is how does it increase the flow rate just by simply storing the water? Or does it increase the dynamic pressure?

With the unit that also has a pump it will increase the stored pressure to lets say 3bar and in turn if the pipe sizing is correct will increase the flow rate. Does this sound right?

Thnaks.

It won't help that much if you open one outlet but if you open two they won't drop to 5lpm would stay around 10lpm / full dynamic pressure and flow

It's exactly like an expansion vessel normally pre charged about .5-1 bar higher than your incoming main

It's a stored vessel of 100-500l (depending on model / needs ) and forces that water out think of a super soaker ish

And it's stabilises your dynamic pressure when multiable outlets are open

The pump one will boost your incoming water pressure and flow to 3 bar and 20lpm

Sizing of the accumulator is crucial if your using it for both hot and cold half the capacity of the unit so a 100l one could supply 50l cold 50 hot

With two outlets this will drop to 25l each

As a rough estimate

So Better to have more than you need than not enough

It's nice for people to share their own experiences and pass on knowledge, so thank you for the insightful exsplanation.

I will wait for a reply from Martin at TWS before I go any further.

Why also do you say water company's don't like you to have more than 20lpm? I'm just curious as I've seen other threads with people suggesting they have inexess of 30lpm.

It's nice for people to share their own experiences and pass on knowledge, so thank you for the insightful exsplanation.

I will wait for a reply from Martin at TWS before I go any further.

Why also do you say water company's don't like you to have more than 20lpm? I'm just curious as I've seen other threads with people suggesting they have inexess of 30lpm.

When you start sucking more than 20lpm you could rob someone else's supply / more demand than the system can supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to A little bit of everything in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Size of bathroom 230cm x 210cm Height 230cm Birmingham Area Initial problem Burst pipe underground in bathroom, concrete. Have had this dug up & made safe for now, have had affected pipe cut & put end caps on. Work required Full bathroom remove old tiles walls and floor. Renew tiling. New...
Replies
Views
Hi Could I ask for some help with a water flow rate problem. I have good mains water pressure on the ground floor. There is no tank in the loft but an unvented cylinder in the upstairs airing cupboard. A gas heat only boiler. Upstairs I have two en suite rooms. One with a shower and one with...
Replies
Views
The Water Board have just replaced the main water supply to our property. We have a ground floor combi boiler. The central heating system for the whole house is working as normal. Hot water is working as normal on the ground floor. However, there is no hot water to the first floor bathroom. This...
Replies
Views
M
I have a viessman vitodens 222F combi storage boiler on the ground floor. It has 100l capacity inbuilt cylinder which is delivered on mains pressure. I bought it hoping I could have two showers across floors running with hot water even if it’s a short while, while avoiding an unvented...
Replies
Views
Max Hill
M
Hello, I have quite low flow rate for my electric shower (a piddling 5L/min), and would like some tips or advice about how to solve or find the cause. I would like a flow rate of about 12L/min. Here is my set-up: Standard gas boiler (not a combi) in the kitchen, have cold water tanks in the...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock