Search the forum,

Discuss Acceptable workmanship? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
29128763-9EA7-4D29-8DC0-D3C9FFD2BF82.jpeg
7651EC6E-6596-4EEE-B751-6C2E6F95C11A.jpeg
20CB3CDD-500F-4ECA-BC08-37DBE98C142C.jpeg
2E844EEF-E9C2-4837-B96F-04D76C0B5F46.jpeg
2E844EEF-E9C2-4837-B96F-04D76C0B5F46.jpeg
70c3b358-0c59-4f53-8f7c-7f9780dc326f-jpeg.31512
86fe05cd-1ac9-47b4-b589-44b466f5a534-jpeg.31513
fbf75560-6b6f-426c-b0bf-b1662d5c1982-jpeg.31514
Hi. Still chasing our house builders regarding snagging. We have had a leak through the attic from condensation from the soil pipe. Can anyone tell me if this is acceptable workmanship? The house is one year old. Duct tape holding it together!

Last edited:
Hi
Pics are not working

Use he upload file button below the message box.

It's not the best but that's builders for you

I bet it’s not even held in properly at the top? Mine wasn’t when I moved into a new build. Fitted a giant jubilee clip to it myself in the end.

So why not just go straight up though the roof , is this connected to a ridge vent ?

Thanks for feedback. The home builder is sending an inspector out to examine but I wanted some advice beforehand as they have a habit of trying to assure us that their work is valid. Just waiting on the excuse for this one. I take it the duct tape for this use is not acceptable? It certainly doesn’t look very professional! Is the flexi pipe the correct piping?
Thanks again for all your feedback.

Duct tape not acceptable as not considered a permanant fixing. Ask him if the vent has been air pressure tested to industry standard - 38mbar for 3 minutes - and you'll probably have him confused.

They did this where I used to work only the ducting was around 6 metres long. It filled up with water and then leaked through the ceiling. I removed it and fitted a durgo valve.

Thanks for all this info. Very useful and just what I was looking for. I took some photos today when I was up emptying the water tray AGAIN. This is how it is attached to the roof

Please remember peeps it's rarely the fault of the individual doing the work...

By the time it's subbed out 27 times, the person who ends up doing the work is forced to do it for peanuts a) because there is no money left and b) cos they are desperate to earn and feed their families. This means they'll do what's necessary (take dreadful, in our eyes, shortcuts) to make a small profit.

The real culprits here are the 'system' where no sod takes responsibility but loads & loads take the money and run...

Please remember peeps it's rarely the fault of the individual doing the work...

The real culprits here are the 'system' where no sod takes responsibility but loads & loads take the money and run...

The system is not the culprit...it's the new home owner who is the culprit.
Time and time again we have visitors who have had shoddy work done on new homes - you can't completely blame the system, you have to blame the unskilled, untrained, uncaring, underling that did the work.

How about that person a month or so ago with his bathroom install.
Incorrect falls on drain, incorrect fittings, incorrect alignment of drain junction - and this bloke thought he was a plumber.
We all thought the home owner had done the work himself.

Its harder to do a job wrong then it is to do it right ..this should be taught across all the construction trades . People who take pride in their work do it right first time from what I see in the trades when people hate their job they dont care whats right or wrong just do what they can get away with to cover themselves lready told a few moaning apprentices if they dont like plumbing do something else had some great lads also willing and eager to learn everything from the trade

Totally disagree if you can't do the job properly then move on at the end of the day it's not always down to price there are standards we all need to adhere to and if you can't/don't then you shouldn't be doing this job .There is absolutely no excuse for inferior and shoddy workmanship...ever....brum

I take your point. Doing a bad job lowers the industry standard and is a bit like sawing off the branch on which you're sitting.

Many valid points but the fault in my eyes lies with the inspectors / Nhbc who pass these properties. If they did their job correctly like people buying new properties are led to believe, then the crap workmanship could be eliminated. I carry out works in loads of new properties and from the design in terms of accessibility of serviceable items to the actual workmanship it's a disgrace. On the plus side, it gives me loads of work repairing the faults.

Agree. Abbey Fields estate in Colchester: all new build and, having worked on a couple, I wouldn't buy one myself. Found a 1.5" waste unclipped and shared by bath and basin in new build and running uphill to SVP - need I say more? The other trades seem to have worked to a similar 'high' standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Acceptable workmanship? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock