Search the forum,

Discuss advice needed on new pipework on boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I am doing some work in newly bought house and the plumber had looked at the Valiant boiler and said it was very dangerous and needed piping inc few other bits of work but wanted to know how much that would cost as he quoted me £1600. he said the boiler is a good one and its fine just the pipework and other bit.

I am situated in London as i know London pricing can be different.

so currently the boiler is located in the kitchen and the kitchen is stripped down to bare bones as the new units have not been fitted yet.

Job
replace 15mm inlet gas pipe with 22mm pipe all the way to meter and earth the meter regulation standard
new flute which will be fully sealed (current one not sealed)
run a new gas feed from boiler to new hob (see diagram)
run new pipes for kitchen sink (see diagram)
redo whole piping under the boiler joining onto existing pipes located on left of boiler (check pictures)
this includes relocating the pipes to the bottom that go into the cloakroom toilet
redoing the two exit pipes outside
replace magaflow filter
powerflush (tank in loft disconnected now)
Gas mark safe certificate
replace sink and toilet in cloakroom toilet (which I have supplied)

he goes he charges £150 @ day and will take him 5 days to complete the work and the rest is materials.

so overall £1600 for the whole work.

is the above a good price or overpriced for the work needed?

any advice is appreciated.

20170821_205040.jpg

20170821_205047.jpg

View attachment 30684

View attachment 30685

View attachment 30686

layout.jpg

20170821_205057.jpg

Last edited:
How old is the boiler ?

Get more than one estimate and make sure all the work to be done is in copper.

Edit: Take a pic of the boiler, someone will have an idea what it is.

If it's 8 years old it's coming to the end of its life span realistically 10-12 years max

If he's charging £150 / day in London make absolutely sure he's qualified to work on gas, and qualified in his own name. Being qualified in his employer's name is not good enough unless you are paying his employer for the work. Have a look at Pimlico Plumbers price list for a comparison!

He must be gas safe registered to work on the flue and gas pipes.

It is a mess and for london rates its about the right price just check they are gas safe registered cheers kop.

also the gas looks like its on the right in 28mm ????

Hi,

Thanks for all the advice.

The boiler looks like the one attached (its not a picture of my actual boiler)

External Pipe connections
C.H Flow (IN) / D.H.W Outlet (IN) / GAS Supply (OUT) / Cold Water Feed (OUT) / C.H Return (OUT)

76129238.jpg

74996185.jpg

The gas looks like 22 mm at least up to to the tee which then goes up and the 15 mm branch feeds the boiler ask him to check properly because the final connection on vaillants this age is 15 mm for the gas

Photo of flue would be nice (Not sealed) To be honest 8 t0 10 year old boiler now is the time to replace it B4 new kitchen is fitted, Lots on the market with up to 10 year warranty, sod's law short time after kitchen is completed something major will go wrong with boiler They don't like the London hard water.

Hi,

The boiler is a ecotec plus 618 as per sticker and underneath it says ecotec Pro 28 r2.

I will upload the pic of the flue when I am on the computer next as it does not work on the phone.

Thanks

Picture of Flue and exit pipes on side of house.

He said will replace the whole Flue and redo the exit pipe so it goes to the drain as its dangerous as one will spill out hot water and the second (white) is mixture of Cabon monoxide and water.

20170823_204721.jpg

20170824_002934.jpg

Yep they need sorting also something he didn't pick up on you need to check the rain down spout goes to main drainage and not a soak away

IMG_0050.PNG
IMG_0051.PNG
Hi
It's always surprising how quick time goes and how young customers think there boiler is. I think you will find that model ceased manufacture in 2000! So it's a minimum of 17 year old.
It was a good boiler. If it's still in good health, it should see a few more years. Start saving a few quid for a new one.

View attachment 30723 View attachment 30724 Hi
It's always surprising how quick time goes and how young customers think there boiler is. I think you will find that model ceased manufacture in 2000! So it's a minimum of 17 year old.
It was a good boiler. If it's still in good health, it should see a few more years. Start saving a few quid for a new one.

New vaillint flue compatible??

How on earth people get away with installations like this is beyond me!!! Boiler is atleast 10 year old? if he could get a compatible flue it would cost best part of £80. Gas pipe looks like it branches off 28mm with short run of 15mm. Probably satifactory.
In all honestly best to bite the bullet and replace the boiler, and all that god awful pipework!

View attachment 30723 View attachment 30724 Hi
Think thats the wrong boiler as the one your quoting is non condensing. think heres is an ecotec pro early model...got revamped in 2008 i think??

It is a mess and for london rates its about the right price just check they are gas safe registered cheers kop.

They've quoted £150 a day and that's about the right price for London? Recently I've been told on this forum that I should be charging at least £180 a day in Colchester (Essex/Suffolk border). Now I'm confused...

EDIT - I now see location is no longer under name as on the old forums, but Colchester is hardly a low-price area, compared with most of UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to advice needed on new pipework on boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock