Search the forum,

Discuss Advice needed - Unvented cylinder - Normal or not normal? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jimi

Hello,

Having recently bought a new property which has an unvented hot water system installed, I'm just trying to understand what's normal and what's not so normal having had no experience of an unvented system in any of my previous properties.

My intrigue/concern really comes from when the boiler should be off, I.E. according to how I've programmed the timings on the boiler control unit there should be nothing calling for heat; thermostat's (one upstairs one down stairs) set to 15c and the hot water should not be on.

However, when this is the case, I'm experiencing the Wilo Yonos Para pump located on the cylinder start up every 5 minutes or so. When this happens I can see the LED on the pump control is a continuous green and I can hear the pump whirring away. This will continue for a minute or so after which the pump will turn itself off (LED is then un-lit and no noise). In conjunction with this, every 10 - 15 minutes the boiler will also ignite, even though there should be nothing calling for heat.

Is this normal operation for the boiler/cylinder to act in this way or not?

many thanks,

Depends is any of the programs on when this happens hot water or heating

Sounds like something is calling for heat

Hi
Sounds like you have a thermal store..
Could you pop a picture on here?

Hi
Sounds like you have a thermal store..
Could you pop a picture on here?

Pic attached.

There should be nothing calling for heat. Water heating should be off and thermostats set well below actual room temps

IMG_4714.JPG

So none of the 3 zones on the timer are on / calling for heat ?

So none of the 3 zones on the timer are on / calling for heat ?

No. None of the 3 zones should be calling for heat when this is occurring. Timer control unit is set to switch the system to "off" at 11pm and at the same time each of the two thermostats set themselves to 15c.

From my understanding there should be nothing calling for heat until 6am the next morning when the timer control unit is set to switch the system back on and the two thermostats set themselves at 20c.

However, as said above, at this point (post 11pm) I can hear the pump on the cylinder continuing to operate every 5 minutes or so with the boiler igniting every 10 minutes or so continuously throughout the night.

Same things happens if I override the timer programs and manually switch the timer control unit to "off".

sounds like you need a heating engy just to check a few things might be wired wrong as, if your certain everything is off

upstairs zone
downstairs zone
and hot water

its not suppose to run, you might have a bad time clock also

sounds like you need a heating engy just to check a few things might be wired wrong as, if your certain everything is off

upstairs zone
downstairs zone
and hot water

its not suppose to run, you might have a bad time clock also

Thanks for info. It's a new build property so I'll report it to the house builder for their engineer/electrician to look in to

you might have a sticky motorised valve ,

if it is a new build someone doesnt know there white from their grey wires by the sounds of things

if it is a new build someone doesnt know there white from their grey wires by the sounds of things

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to be honest. We've had other issues where circuits have been wired incorrectly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice needed - Unvented cylinder - Normal or not normal? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock