Search the forum,

Discuss Advice please soldering to old pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've added a couple of additional rad's to a room at he back of my house (all within the boiler capacity) and I'm in the process of upgrading feed and returns from 15mm to 22mm to cope with the extra demand.

The pipe work is ok except where I'm joining to the existing old pipe. I'm using capillary slip fittings as there is insufficient lateral movement to use a straight connector. However, I'm struggling like hell to get a leak free joint. The pipe seems slightly loose on the fitting and I'm not getting a decent capillary joint. Its not a huge amount smaller - probably 0.25 mm, but seems enough to prevent a good joint. I'd appreciate any advice anyone. I'm on my third attempt.

Alternatively, I'm thinking I might have to use compression although as its under floor boards I'd rather not.

Hope someone can help.

Terry

Was the sysem installed before 1975 ish? If so will be imperial copper 3/4. You can get solder ring, or end feed fittings fir this. Normally called 1m's ( imperial to metric) adaptors.
Most will pact as a slip coupling too, as the fitting will slide fully onto the old copper.

Thanks for the reply.

Not sure when it was installed - but I suspect it was later. I think I might be being a bit daft. I was thinking that 3/4 pipe was the outside diameter of the pipe (as is the case with 22mm) which is why I thought 3/4 would be too small. But I guess 3/4 is the bore in which case I think you've sussed it.

Thanks,

Terry

as above is coupling is loose is eg can wiggle its 3/4 pipe

http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/solder-ring-imperial-metric-adaptors-22mm-x-2-pack/74038

Imperial pipe was around to about 1973 I think.
One tip if using a 3/4" x 22 solder connector is that they usually will act as a slip connector on the 3/4" side because the 22mm end is bigger. Be careful to push the fitting full back onto the 22mm pipe until it hits hard.

Thanks everyone, your help is really appreciated. Clearly I was being a d**k with regards 3/4" pipe sizing!

Terry

Thanks everyone, your help is really appreciated. Clearly I was being a d**k with regards 3/4" pipe sizing!

Terry

Nope you just didn't know, get a couple of I/M sockets and away you go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice please soldering to old pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock