Search the forum,

Discuss Advice re cooker installation please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ALH

Hello all - just registered hoping someone can help me with a bit of a quandary. I'm not a tradesman nor do I wish to DIY anything connected with gas/plumbing/electrics.

My wife and I are in the process of looking for a new cooker. The present one is electric but we are probably going for gas this time. Some issues though:

There is no gas in the kitchen, but the gas meter is in the dining room next door. There is a doorway(!) between the dividing wall of the two rooms and no real way of running the gas pipe inside. Is it feasible to run the pipe through the outside wall at the meter and past the doorway at ground level?

Another question if I may. The bottom of the electric cooker control switch is about 590 mm above the cooker hob height and about 100 mm of its width is actually above the cooker. The tiles behind the cooker rise to 500 mm above the cooker hob. The wall above the tiles is painted wallpaper. Would any of these issues prevent a gas safe fitter installing a gas cooker and issuing a safety certificate?

I feel a bit cheeky asking for free advice but the only advice I've had so far is from Currys/Comet sales people!

Thanks very much

Al

your better off getting a gas safe registered engineer there to give you a quote/idea on what's involved it can sometimes be difficult to give advice with out looking at the job as you are a house holder and a gas engineer would be looking at different issues as i am sure you appreciate

Hello all - just registered hoping someone can help me with a bit of a quandary. I'm not a tradesman nor do I wish to DIY anything connected with gas/plumbing/electrics.

My wife and I are in the process of looking for a new cooker. The present one is electric but we are probably going for gas this time. Some issues though:

There is no gas in the kitchen, but the gas meter is in the dining room next door. There is a doorway(!) between the dividing wall of the two rooms and no real way of running the gas pipe inside. Is it feasible to run the pipe through the outside wall at the meter and past the doorway at ground level?
If it were me i would either run T off from the main pipe coming out from the meter in 15 mm pip and either go thru the wall into the kitchen or i would go thru the exterior wall and run the gas pipe outside until i could bring it in at a suitable point!

Another question if I may. The bottom of the electric cooker control switch is about 590 mm above the cooker hob height and about 100 mm of its width is actually above the cooker. The tiles behind the cooker rise to 500 mm above the cooker hob. The wall above the tiles is painted wallpaper. Would any of these issues prevent a gas safe fitter installing a gas cooker and issuing a safety certificate?
I would not feel comfortable with wallpaper being 500mm away from such a high powered heat source! Change it!
I feel a bit cheeky asking for free advice but the only advice I've had so far is from Currys/Comet sales people!

Thanks very much

Al

Hope this helps

Thanks very much for your reply. Yes, you are right. I've left 'phone messages for a number of local gas and electrical tradesmen over the past week but none have got back to me yet. The main bugbear is the control switch on the wall. I've been told that it will have to be moved away from its current position because of the risk of scalding/burning when turning the switch off. Silly really since all the knobs for our current cooker are placed at the back of the cooker above the hob half way up to the offending wall switch..... If we change to gas I don't think the switch will be an issue, but I just want confirmation on that before actually buying the cooker.

Al

Thanks TC - your reply arrived whilst I was answering ther Gasman.

Al

Thanks very much

Al

we are not very clever on here, so a wee sketch of the proposed gas run would help, your description/my understanding/bit of both isnt 100% clear,
re the electrical switch, it will need to be moved (unless it is 100% non combustible, even if it is it isnt a great idea to have it in the hot zone, a spark will confirm if a metal switch is allowed) you cant have any combustible material within 760mm zone above the hot plate,
or 610mm above a high level grill.

Img_09431.jpgImg_09421.jpgImg_09441.jpg

Here are some pics. The pipe would come out of the wall to the left of the door, cross the doorway at ground level as tight to the step as possible, theen go vertically to the 'drip' and continue horizontally around the corner and in through the kitchen wall. I would have to think of something to protect the pipe where it passes the step. Would this be OK? There's no way the pipe can be run internally.

Regarding the cooker switch. If we go gas I can get rid of that and either cover the hole with a 'pretty'(!) blanking plate or something. Wallpaper can be removed from the wall, no problem.

Thanks,
Al

Last edited by a moderator:
the pipe can go over the step but as you say would need 100% robust protection, depending on the size and volume the boxing in may require ventilated, TBH if you keep it to an absolute minimum it wont (ie less than 0.01m2 cross sectional area (100mm x 100mm) and 0.01m3 volume which it will be under

Thanks for that. I'm not sure what you mean by running the pipe over the step. I was thinking of something like this.

AlImg_094411.jpg

Hello again all. I've had a quote for doing the job mentioned above, which involves a new pipe run for a gas cooker.

Approx 8 metres of pipe, 6 elbows, drill two holes in walls, connect to meter and fit gas cooker bayonet connection, cut approx 50mm off side of worktop (new cooker is wider), supply and fit cooker hose and chain, connect cooker.

Additionally, change the fuse in CU to 20 amps, remove existing cooker control unit, fit junction box, blank off and fit one 13 amp socket. This electrical work I feel quite able to do myself.

He has quoted ÂŁ445 (South Wales not London!). Does this sound right?
No VAT added BTW!

Thanks,
Al

Hello again all. I've had a quote for doing the job mentioned above, which involves a new pipe run for a gas cooker.

Approx 8 metres of pipe, 6 elbows, drill two holes in walls, connect to meter and fit gas cooker bayonet connection, cut approx 50mm off side of worktop (new cooker is wider), supply and fit cooker hose and chain, connect cooker.

Additionally, change the fuse in CU to 20 amps, remove existing cooker control unit, fit junction box, blank off and fit one 13 amp socket. This electrical work I feel quite able to do myself.

He has quoted ÂŁ445 (South Wales not London!). Does this sound right?
No VAT added BTW!

Thanks,
Al

ÂŁ445, i could fly down from Glasgow and still make a fortune on that price, i try not to get too involved in what people charge but this is seriously taking the P, what about covering the pipe at the step is that extra :-(

Thanks very much - that's what I thought to be honest. Forgot to mention that there would be a steel pipe protecting the gas pipe in front of the step.

Al

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice re cooker installation please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock