Search the forum,

Discuss Am I a mug working for this amount? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
You on the books with the council or you subbing to them? I got a relative high up in my local council and if it’s the same rates I may ask.

You on the books with the council or you subbing to them? I got a relative high up in my local council and if it’s the same rates I may ask.
yeah salary so all the benefits, and it being shift work I get a lot of time to do my own stuff. not sure how Carmarthen do it but most of our installs etc are contracted out. so we are basically just a maintainance team....mind numbing but pays a half decent wage into my home.

Same with Carmarthenshire, they even sub some of the maintenance out because I done work for the sub contractor the other day. It’s probably better than what I’m on now so may just ask about tomorrow.

Really would love to work on a cruise though, seen what some of the boys were having and it’s mental pay wise, work hard though.

Hi,

Send me a PM letting me know what area of Carmarthenshire you are in and if you have your own tools and van. I may be interested in subbing some work out if you are interested? I often get calls for oil boiler repairs and bathrooms which I dont do, I am GAS SAFE and a qualified Electrician so it may be a good fit.

John, you are being underpaid . But talk of 2 or 3 times your current rate for employed is nonsense. Twice is achievable, but most cards in jobs are not £40K plus.

Self-employed CAN earn a lot more but you have to be good, quick and well organised. Plus have cash to get going.

It may be that your boss is poor at running a business, and may not actually be able to as afford the proper rate, but that is his problem.

As you are young and responsibility free, now is the time, perhaps, to go SE. Don't go straight into a new expensive van. Keep costs under control. Work out your overheads, and charge fees that will give you a decent return.
Get paid straight away before leaving the house, and remember that a 4 hour day at £40 per hour is better than 8 at £20. But insert your own figures.

To be honest with you I just don’t have the cash to get myself SE. I have a van (which is off road at the moment) not GS either which I’ll have to pay for so it’s rather difficult to go self employed. Plus I have no idea how to run a business and what to charge etc. So much to learn on the business side of things. That’s why I want to work away to build up cash. I’m still living at home which is embarrassing so I’d love to get a mortgage first, but that’s another thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Am I a mug working for this amount? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock