Search the forum,

Discuss Am I being underpaid? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Hi gents.

I'm currently studying my level 3 NVQ and I'm working for a one man band. In work I do a lot of the work and on a average day it's 9 hours but this does go on sometimes in to silly hours. Ive just passed my OFTEC which the boss paid for so I don't want to leave if I can help it and I do enjoy working with the guy, but the pay is grinding me down at the minute.

My pay at the moment is 40 a day and he does cut it when we finish early to 25.

He's happy with my work and even said that I do a better job than him.

Any advice? I feel stuck because I don't want to jeopardise my NVQ by causing a argument over pay.

Thanks for reading.

Hi gents.

I'm currently studying my level 3 NVQ and I'm working for a one man band. In work I do a lot of the work and on a average day it's 9 hours but this does go on sometimes in to silly hours. Ive just passed my OFTEC which the boss paid for so I don't want to leave if I can help it and I do enjoy working with the guy, but the pay is grinding me down at the minute.

Any advice? I feel stuck because I don't want to jeopardise my NVQ by causing a argument over pay.

Thanks for reading.

nope about right i would say but depending on where you live

All good so long as he pays more when you go over 9 hours as well as cuts it for half day.

Perhaps a conversation asking him politely what you could do to increase your wage to say £60.

Nvq3 so you must be nearly there now. Bite your tongue you're nearly at the finish line now.

The pay is poor but the experience is priceless. He's allowing you to do the work, not just bring equipment from the van and clean up after him. He's also shown commitment to your technical training. Complete your NVQ3 before you have hard words.

Yeah this is why o love working there as I'm doing the job and getting vital experience from it. Plus me and the guy have become quite close from working together and the banter is great.

Yeah this is why o love working there as I'm doing the job and getting vital experience from it. Plus me and the guy have become quite close from working together and the banter is great.

The money will come mate honestly. I know it feels like forever at the moment but make the most of this learning stage.

Holy cow! I pay labourers more than that. But as Adam said, hang in there, and when your qualified give him both barrels.

Ps, I can't believe I'm agreeing with Adam.

Haha great to see people in same boat!

Started on £100 a week!! here. What helped me loads is changing employers when going from lvl 2 to 3. As much as I felt grateful to my first boss he would ever only see me as a helper and pay accordingly. Finishing off my NVQ3 on £60 with new employer who uses me as an actual plumber!

Apprentice pay just stinks my girlfriend's 18 year old brother earns double laboring, other contract plumbers earn 3 times more doing exactly the same work! Its an absolute joke, any other job you come in 0 experience they train you AND pay full wage. What makes me laugh is people actually WANT to do this! Id never go through it again.

Stop moaning!

When I was an apprentice in '95 I was on a solid £15 a day!

Don't listen to your mates saying they earn X amount, blokes always lie about how much they earn.

Haha great to see people in same boat!

Started on £100 a week!! here. What helped me loads is changing employers when going from lvl 2 to 3. As much as I felt grateful to my first boss he would ever only see me as a helper and pay accordingly. Finishing off my NVQ3 on £60 with new employer who uses me as an actual plumber!

Apprentice pay just stinks my girlfriend's 18 year old brother earns double laboring, other contract plumbers earn 3 times more doing exactly the same work! Its an absolute joke, any other job you come in 0 experience they train you AND pay full wage. What makes me laugh is people actually WANT to do this! Id never go through it again.

same here my first company kept me 40 a day minus tax and ni for 2 years and i already had 2 years experience prior to that but no certificates, but was always "the apprentice". changing employers for lvl 3 i got £10 p/h and got to do real plumbing

Hi gents.

Thanks for reading.

I think what would make a big difference is if you worked on your own? Or do you always work together? There's a big difference between doing things for yourself under the safety of someone else or actually being trusted to head out and complete work start to finish!! Everyone wants to earn what there worth but you first have to make money for your company before they start paying you more.

of course you are being underpaid...........welcome to the trade.....

My training wages started as £35/wk first year, £40/wk second year, £70/wk 3rd yr then lost my apprenticeship and ended up finishing my time on £60/wk. That was 1989-93. But there wasn't minimum wage back then.

My training wages started as £35/wk first year, £40/wk second year, £70/wk 3rd yr then lost my apprenticeship and ended up finishing my time on £60/wk. That was 1989-93. But there wasn't minimum wage back then.

and what point are we making here..you were paid right,wrong or what :arabia:

all those saying how little they earned twenty years ago don't forget to double it to adjust for inflation

Sorry my point was even with carp wages, it's gaining the experience that counts and the better money comes later. It would be interesting to know how old the OP is as if hes more mature then I think his boss is taking a bit of a lend!

Are you making your boss money to cover your wages or are you making a lot of mistakes/slow working speed costing him money?

Hi all, When I started I took home £3-19s-1p for a 40 hour week and it was hard work.

Come on ball valve, you've obviously got years of experience and stories to share mate. Post a bit more and let us know.

Back in 1957 I got 1.17.06 pounds for a 56hour week, after a year I got 10 shillings a week rise,enjoyed every moment.loved the job till 50 when back and knees gave out, retired to lovely Spain. may the euro keep dropping soon 1.50 to a pound.

Don't think short term .... trust me, I'm 39.. and just finished my c&g 2... i got long way to go, but when i was 18 all my mates were apprentices , i used to take the mick out of there crap wages whilst i was earning proper money ... now they are laughing at me!!! stick with it honestly mate.

Holy cow! I pay labourers more than that. But as Adam said, hang in there, and when your qualified give him both barrels.

Ps, I can't believe I'm agreeing with Adam.

Get to the hospital before it's too late :eek:

Back in 1957 I got 1.17.06 pounds for a 56hour week, after a year I got 10 shillings a week rise,enjoyed every moment.loved the job till 50 when back and knees gave out, retired to lovely Spain. may the euro keep dropping soon 1.50 to a pound.

Back in 1957 1 pound was probably enough to buy a house :D

The beauty of plumbing is, that with a loyal customer base , you can choose your hours, choose your jobs and continue past a time when others have retired.
PS. I intended to retire a millionaire at 50 but still waiting for 8 draws on my coupon.

Morning to all, My first job was on a building site I made the tea, also I had to go to the shop for all the trades on site. When a lorry turned up with a load of bricks unload it by hand.

Morning to all, My first job was on a building site I made the tea, also I had to go to the shop for all the trades on site. When a lorry turned up with a load of bricks unload it by hand.

What year would that of been? And what area are you in bv?

£18.5 per week for 18 months, at 42 when I did my apprenticeship, with a nine month old baby and living in one room after 23 years at sea.

It's alright saying labourers earn double that but there money will never go up. You are learning a skilled trade. Once you qualify your money will at least treble, if not more. Typical apprentice getting greedy before they even qualify. The amount of apprentices over the years that make out as if they are hard done by and earn peanuts lol. Stop ya moaning and get and make the tea!!
In all seriousness, get your NVQ under your belt - become a plumber - then you can consider asking for more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Am I being underpaid? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I’m finding it hard breaking into the industry. I’m a trainee plumber living in London Hello, I'm a trainee plumber who lives in London who's found it challenging trying to find a place to work, or gain experience in order to obtain my nvq level 2 even though I've passed my level 2 diploma 2...
Replies
Views
R
Hello Everyone. I humbly come to post needing your advice on a rather urgent issue I have regarding my cold water tank in the loft. Basically, a few days ago I noticed a patch of yellow in my bedroom ceiling. I then went up in my loft to find that the water tank was leaking. I called a plumber...
Replies
Views
Another newbie in the forums. I’m a 33 year old and after having worked in the Graphic/Web Design industry for around 8 years, I worked a few positions, did a bit of freelance and was continually working late hours and evenings unpaid as well as every weekend. I ended up getting burnout and...
Replies
Views
J
Hello, hoping someone can advise me. My boiler stopped working - no hot water or central heating. Called out a company who came and assessed the problem as being that the hot water element in the immersion tank needed replacing. (I don't know exactly what it is called as the company has still...
Replies
Views
J
Hello, hoping someone can advise me. My boiler stopped working - no hot water or central heating. Called out a company who came and assessed the problem as being that the hot water element in the immersion tank needed replacing. (I don't know exactly what it is called as the company has still...
Replies
Views
Johnno1966
J
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock