Discuss Ancient room thermostat needs to be replaced- in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Westbury155

Westbury155
Hi everybody,

Im new to this forum and would like to say thanks in advance for helping me with my situation-

My tenant mailed me yesterday to say that the central heating was not switching on, however there was hot water.

The boiler is a Vaillant turbomax pro E28.

As there was hot water I assumed that the boiler was fine and the issue was a control one. To determine this I removed both wires from T3 and 4 in the boiler termination strip and put a link in- the central heating fired up straight away- so a result there- the naffed room controller is a vintage Proscon Type PBF/PBG 10 11 30.

I assume my fault finding is correct!

My dilema is how to wire in a replacement el cheapo dial type room thermostat- the rented property is due a complete overhaul next year so I will then spend money to get the home modernised.

Wiring of Proscon.
--------------------
The earth wire went to the earth terminal, the black wire to neutral terminal, the red wire to line, and a separate red to heating.
---------------------

With the above set up, how do I connect these wires into a Drayton RTS8? if this thermostat is not suitable could you please advise of an alternative and how to wire that up.

As it stands at the moment the tenant is having to control his heating on the boiler rotary dial -hes giving me ear ache already-

Your sharing of your expertise would be very much appreciated

Thanks

At a guess, and it is only a guess, what you have is a three wire stat. Probably black is neutral and one of the reds is a live and the other is a live switched by the thermostat?

No idea about the RST8, but there will be a wiring diagram somewhere, usually this sort of thing comes with one.

If you want my experience, get an electrician in because otherwise this will end up with tenants using your (technically illegal) DIY work as grounds for complaint that although you got it working, it wasn't done by a qualified person and should have been. And, in fairness, when you are taking money for rent, you have to be seen to be very professional.

Rather than an electrician get a gsr with part p to do the job. It is illegal for a non competent person to remove the case of that boiler.

For future reference, DON'T DO IT AGAIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ancient room thermostat needs to be replaced- in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back