Search the forum,

Discuss Any commercial gas engineers? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mfairbairn23

Hello,

I am just looking for some advice on commercial gas work, I've worked on domestic systems for a few years but have recently started servicing commercial plaque heaters for the company I work for. I've done my commercial tickets, boosters, t&p 1, t&p 1A, commercial changeover, radiant tube htrs, direct and indirect WA etc and I understand the theory of purging pipework and all the calculations needed to complete the units but it's the practical side I do not have experience of and need a few pointers.

A few basic questions I had:

When purging with a vent stack, does the gas need to be lit and if not, when would it require lighting, and when would it be ok not to?

Is it alright to purge a gas pipe with air using a compressor rather than nitrogen? I dont see how this could be as surely you're introducing an explosive mixture of gas into the pipework.

Say you have a length of pipe with an ECV at the beginning of it and an ECV at the end, if there are no test points, how would you introduce air or nitrogen to purge the gas? The only thing I can think would be to tap one into the pipe but then surely this could be dangerous as it's full on gas!

Thanks for any pointers anyone can give me, as I say I'm mainly doing servicing of heaters which is straightforward but I'm interested in learning about working on pipework and I think the company may have some bits of pipework for me to work on in the future.

You need to go back to colledge mate. IMHO no offence intended. TC

If you don't know when or where to flare I think you need a few more lessons or just read your books a bit more

You need to go back to colledge mate. IMHO no offence intended. TC

I did a domestic gas apprenticeship, if I was in a position to do more training on the commercial side of things at the moment I would. Obviously this was covered on the commercial assessment and training I did but it was only a week to cover all of the units and I'm left with a few questions.

If you don't know when or where to flare I think you need a few more lessons or just read your books a bit more

I have IGE UP 1 + 1A booklets in the office and Gas Installation Technology by Treloar. I will reread 1 + 1A to see if the flaring question is covered as I cannot remember, could you recommend any other books which cover the practical side of commercial gas work more indepth? I understand people may be reluctant to answer questions such as these but at the end of the day I'm not new to gas and would never work in a way I wasn't 100% sure was the correct procedure, I just lack the practical experience of purging/venting commercial pipework and I'm trying to fill in the blanks.

Look bud, your original post scared me. Being in the gas trade you obviously know your limit as I do. To ask the question of purging with nitrogen instead of oxygen speaks volumes. Not telling how to suck eggs, but you should know. Maybe I should go back to coledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Any commercial gas engineers? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock