Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Are DFE's still legal ? in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

A property dealer friend has bought a raft of new rentals and asked me about DFE's We used to fit them years ago into heritage fireplaces in Bath. I dont think they are suitable for rented properties and have told him to take them out. While he is there I told him to get rid of gas in the smaller ones. Is this the correct advice ?

2. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR

They are still legal but in all honesty not really suitable for a rental property and as a heat source not very efficient my advise get em stripped out I would stick with gas and put a combi in the smaller ones . Cheers kop

• Like Like x 1
  3. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR

As above. If they're safe they're legal.
    Not very efficient granted but it's the landlords decision whether to keep them or not.
    You need to check ventilation though. I know they may be below 7 Kw but if they're true DFE's, then unless the manufacturers instructions say otherwise, they need it.

4. hammers4spanner

hammers4spanner Plumber GSR

Every rented property I go tgat has a gas fire I recommend they disconnect them .
    Nearly all the landlords follow that advice.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

TBH I don't think rentals should have a gas fire

• Like Like x 4
  6. Gasmk1

Gasmk1 GSR

thats what i used to tell landlords as little as possible in gas Boiler yes maybe hob but better if electric also cooker better if electric, made my job easier and same price

• Like Like x 2
  7. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

And less risk to the landlord

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

You mean permanently open air vent not hit and miss plus oxy deep sensor
    It’s best pull them out as everbody agrees

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR

Pull them out if you like. If something is safe, it is up to the responsible person, not us. You can only give advise based on your own knowledge and experience and allow them the freedom of choice in my opinion.
    I do mean permanent purpose made, non close-able ventilation of the correct size, with the cavity (if it is there) bridged and no fly screen.

I realise that some do not like these things but I have never had an issue with them, apart from the fact that they are a waste of Gas more often than not.