Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Bathroom extractor in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. robj20

robj20 Member

Bathroom is 1.8m x 1.7m, 2.4m height. Currently have one of these waste of space through wall extractors that does absolutely nothing to combat condensation.

So will a Manrose MF150 with about 127liters/sec be better are there any calculators that spec fans that are up to the job and not just to meet the regulations.

2. Darren Jackson

Darren Jackson Plumber GSR

That will be more than enough to do the job, in fact it is a bit over kill, it is a six inch fan pulling approx 300m/phr. it will pull all the heat out of the room as well. I find the Xpelair premier CF20 range is a great unit that can be wall or ceiling mounted and the premier CF20T has a built in timer and humidity control.

3. oz-plumber

oz-plumber Plumber

It may not be a problem with the fan or extraction system.
    For the extraction system to work properly, it has to be able to have enough air to replenish the air extracted.

So if there is no ventilation into the bathroom, there will be minimal extraction.
    Make sure there is 10mm - 15mm of open air space under the bathroom door for the extraction system to work correctly before you go and install a new system.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. robj20

robj20 Member

Plenty of gaps below the bathroom door. Usually leave the door open a crack anyway.

5. robj20

robj20 Member

Plenty of gaps below the bathroom door. Usually leave the door open a crack anyway.

6. oz-plumber

oz-plumber Plumber

Leaving the door open may hinder the efficiency of the exhaust system.
    The idea is to pull the replenishing air from low level so it takes the condensation with it.
    Leaving the door open, the fan will pull the air with least resistance, so it will be drawing air from the top of the door and not gathering as much condensation as it would if the gap was under the door

7. hammers4spanner

hammers4spanner Plumber GSR

Can't see the point in them .
    The one I had in my own bathroom was pathetic.
    When we done it out I removed it and went back to opening a window.
    Much better in our bathroom now

8. robj20

robj20 Member

That's the reason I want to put an inline one in the loft, powerful enough so steam gets sucked straight out.

9. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Active Member

FYI extracts, as oz indicates, are a science.
    To be effective they must be sized & positioned correctly. Ideally you have the grill in the far corner of the shower enclosure and keep the shwr enc door open so air is drawn through the enc. this, via the venturi effect, takes the moisture laden air with it.
    My own rule of thumb on a 100mm system is if a sheet of a4 paper isnt 'grabbed' then its not worth having.
    Most decent fans have two speeds so i always start on the lowest.
    Shame air movement of this nature isnt taught to young plumbers in UK when it obv is in Australia

10. robj20

robj20 Member

It's going to be a shower over bath, with the extractor sited in the opposite end of the bath from the shower, which leaves the extractor in the furthest corner from the door. I have a 1cm gap under the door.

11. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Active Member

As an adult it is your choice.
    You have the information, tis your prerogative to ignore it.