Search the forum,

Discuss Bathroom smells like urine (need help) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

solvas

Hello, i live in a shared house, it a fairly big 7 bedroom house, we have 2 showers and 3 toilets. One of our shower rooms with a toilet (its the oldest one) other shower room is fairly new
Any way... our oldest shower / bathroom smells like old urine and i have no idea why or where exactly smell is coming from. Smell comes and goes it dont smell 24/7 its weird it will smell really bad for some hours then its completely fine for some hours then it comes back again, smell spreads into the staircase and pretty much around the house. Closing door to the toilet makes it even worth since there no fresh air coming into the house from bathroom open window

Any idea what it could be ?

First thought is people are weeing all over the floor and the back of the toilet as its a shared house and everyone thinks someone else will clean up?

i doubt it, there only 3 people use that toilet, 2 guys including me and a girl. I am pretty much the only person that cleans it, i rarely clean it at the back and floor tho so thats a good idea i will give it a proper clean. But its weird that smell comes and goes, if it was dirty at the back and floor the smell would have probably stayed 24/7 right ?

the bath it self was blocked at one point, landlord said he pored down something down the drains and unblocked it,(as i though thats what was causing the smell) but smell still there

Check any joints on the toilet outlet with dry tissue paper.
Check floor around the toilet pan is dry.
Stick a pencil down the bath outlet and see if it comes out wet or dry when the smell is present. If it come out dry then the water trap has been sucked out creating an open vent to the drains.

Wow, not cleaning the toilet properly and neither the floor, that's odd though ... it's like a bacterial party at the back and bottom of the toilet. Come on guys, you don't need to be told that when you take a wee in a standing up position that it will sprinkle all over the place.

no i do clean it just not as often as i clean bath,toilet and sink. unfortunately its only me that cleans anything in there =/

no i do clean it just not as often as i clean bath,toilet and sink. unfortunately its only me that cleans anything in there =/

I definitely would do it in turns. Everybody has to clean ones a week if that's a shared house, that's my opinion.

Check any joints on the toilet outlet with dry tissue paper.
Check floor around the toilet pan is dry.
Stick a pencil down the bath outlet and see if it comes out wet or dry when the smell is present. If it come out dry then the water trap has been sucked out creating an open vent to the drains.
Good point raised by RPM there to check the bath trap.

is there a gurgling noise from sink/bath etc when you empty one or the other?

Just gonna put this out there..........I had a customer years ago with same problem.turned out it was a fishy burning smell from where her shower was wired into the meter......worth a check? Esp as you mentioned under the stairs.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bathroom smells like urine (need help) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, We live in an 18 year old town house on three floors and have lived here from new. We changed the downstairs cloakroom and the family bathroom on the middle floor. Since then there has been a terrible smell of sewer gas in the house. This is not localised to the bathroom alone, it...
Replies
Views
Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built downstairs shower room. Recently he had this downstairs shower room re-fitted/decorated. Quite a simple set up consisting of a sink, toilet and shower...
Replies
Views
L
Hello so we have just recently remodeled and I cannot remember if we were experiencing this before in our bathroom upstairs but, there’s a strong gasoline/cigarette smell coming from the pipes I think. It is not there all the time, in fact it went away for 4 days and now it has returned...
Replies
Views
LeAnn Trigg
L
Hello I have a mystery, my bathroom has a sewage smell appears to get far worse 5pm-9pm. I have plugged my bathroom/sink with plugs and its 100% coming from the toilet. Tried Lugi worlds best plunger, that air gun blaster and 50 buckets of hot water down the toilet for 2-3 days and no joy, the...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I have an issue and hoping someone could shed some light on the problem. We have been getting a smell coming up in the bathroom, initially thought it was the toilet, but after smelling the bath tub plug hole it appears to be coming from here. I removed the P trap and very little...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock