Search the forum,

Discuss Baxi solo Pilot light stays on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Inverness

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
hi guys went to see a boiler today.. I got the pilot light staying on but when you turn the thermostat up to get high fire it stays in pilot light.Any advise would be great?

I'm. Just qualified as gas safe. It is a baxi solo manual ignition pilot light. Room seal flue. I'm not the best with multi meters.. the thermostat doesn't do anything when the pilot light is on.

I'm. Just qualified as gas safe. It is a baxi solo manual ignition pilot light. Room seal flue. I'm not the best with multi meters.. the thermostat doesn't do anything when the pilot light is on.
Have you turned the Gas Valve knob to the right place after you lit the pilot flame?

Grey knob button that you turn and push in while press the ignition button?
No not if it's a grey knob Honeywell. There are a few Baxi Solo Boilers. There are different Gas Valves too. That's why I asked which Solo. Some of the Gas valves have a pilot and main burner position so you would light the pilot and then turn the knob to main flame. If it's the Honeywell Grey knob, turning it will put the pilot out.

I the pilot is lit and the system is calling for heat (so you'd expect it to light the Boiler), you need to test the valve with a multi-meter.
Was it a 240V valve or don't you know?

I didn't test it. There was no click sound from the thermostat when I rotated it around. Old boiler I've not had much experience in them. I'm planning to buy a multimeter any recommendations? I don't want to spend too much? Have you seen the automatic multimeters any good?

I didn't test it. There was no click sound from the thermostat when I rotated it around. Old boiler I've not had much experience in them. I'm planning to buy a multimeter any recommendations? I don't want to spend too much? Have you seen the automatic multimeters any good?
Go for something simple to begin with. With one dial and not that many settings until more experienced mate. But I have an all singing and dancing 6 year old fluke.

Most fault finding with boilers are tested with multimeters. I've never been show either in college only few and between if there lucky to get training from there boss or learn yourself through you tube channels.

Most fault finding with boilers are tested with multimeters. I've never been show either in college only few and between if there lucky to get training from there boss or learn yourself through you tube channels.
Wouldn’t watch you tube. Book yourself on a mornings course somewhere. It will make a massive difference. Or speak to your employer.

Baxi 3 day multi meter course if you can

If you plan on sticking at this game I would recommend the Fluke 116. It's damned expensive but perfect for the job and easy to use. There are many others that will do and over the years I have had lots of them from ÂŁ10 to this one which was ÂŁ140.
If it breaks I will not hesitate to buy another.

Last edited:
@Inverness
It must be very daunting trying to gain experience by yourself as you seem to be doing.
I hope you stick at it.
There are lots of qualified and potentially good Engineers out there who are keen to work but fall by the wayside through the frustration caused by a lack of experience and the pressure of being alone in that position.
Can you not work alongside an experienced Engineer for a while?

If you plan on sticking at this game I would recommend the Fluke 116. It's damned expensive but perfect for the job and easy to use. There are many others that will do and over the years I have had lots of them from ÂŁ10 to this one which was ÂŁ140.
If it breaks I will not hesitate to buy another.
That’s what I have

Baxi do a one day multimeter course , no idea where your closest one would be.
Most of my multimeter training was self thought , we hardy covered it in college.

I have you guys!,, no I'm leaving the company in a week to start out on my own. Svq3 plumbing ticket,gas safe and oftec. Only on ÂŁ8.50 hour with this company. I'm doing maintance eg breakdowns and I'm expected to know since I've got my gas ticket and I'm suppose to be a wizard in using a multimeter since I did the Worcester training day. Which I didn't learn that much. In the company's eyes I have the ticket so they won't let me shadow another experience gas guy considering there's only two out of 12. Joke

TBH, you cannot repair boilers without understanding how to sort this. No disrespect intended, we all have to start somewhere. But it is as basic as it gets.

If there is is no click when the boiler stat is turned on, the valve is nit lifting. As said, the button can stick, but the click would still be there.
If there is no click on either HW or CH, then likely fault is solenoid or (less often) boiler stat.

My genuine advice is to go to the Baxi 3 day course. It will cost about ÂŁ200, but is excellent, especially for newbies. It is nto product orientated, and you get a nice lunch and, normally, some ÂŁ20'ish freebies :)
Boiler diagnostics

Re the multimeter: You can buy one from Argos for about ÂŁ25, but I would suggest an auto ranging one. If you did the Baxi course, you should take a MM, and they will help you use it.

Start with something like this for circa ÂŁ50 inc delivery. You may wish to upgrade as experience and finances improve:

Compact Auto Ranging Digital Multimeter 1000v

Good luck

The company I work for don't care they think because I hold a gas ticket I should be able to fault find and be able to use a multimeter. This is like another trade on its own if you've never had the experience all I've ever did was install new boilers. I did the Worcester training day for 1 day even then you need more days

The company I work for don't care they think because I hold a gas ticket I should be able to fault find and be able to use a multimeter. This is like another trade on its own if you've never had the experience all I've ever did was install new boilers. I did the Worcester training day for 1 day even then you need more days

Being gas safe registered basically means your able to install different appliances safely...I agree at what your saying as in fault finding I class as being a gas engineer.... didn't learn anything about a multimeter in college. Ended up self teaching myself and a lot of phonecalls to technical and my fault finding game has improved 10 fold. Stick at it.

I'll try but it's a trade on its own personally speaking. It's an expensive trade if you get it wrong. Cheers for your advise

This is the reason I think we should go back to the old methods of teaching trades.
The new ideas of individual courses doesn't work. There are too many areas in this trade where different aspects of it cross over and knowledge is needed of the whole subject not just a part.

I'll try but it's a trade on its own personally speaking. It's an expensive trade if you get it wrong. Cheers for your advise

As last Plumber intimates, in the old days, we learned the full range of activities. I started with the old Gas Board in'76. I did electronics (PCB's were starting to be introduced to gas appliances, pipework, cookers, fault finding on CH and boilers, wall heaters. We were trained on everything gas, including small commercial package burners.
Even BG now do not train their guys in anything except boiler fitting and fault finding, and even then i understand that they are one or the other.

What is your company's core activity? I am guessing it is not plumbing or gas fitting? Your boss is a dick if he expects a new guy to understand everything. He is clearly lacking in understanding himself.

Maybe you should look for another firm? You are getting paid peanuts, so you may find someone local to take you on at similar rates, and allow you to develop.

Do some reading, and get old boilers and parts and strip them to understand what is going on. Look for another site (google my username) which has a massive wealth of information.
Meanwhile:
Boiler Servicing Procedure for Heating Engineers and Plumbers

Central Heating Fault Finding and Fault Repair for DIY Enthusiasts | DIY Doctor (scroll down a bit)

Try and get your boss to stump up ÂŁ200 for the Baxi course. If he is reluctant to appreciate its value, tell him to google,and he will find a LOT of guys recommending it, and maybe he could talk to the Baxi trainers.

TBH, if he will not allow you to develop, and you do not move, you will end up leaving the industry, which will be a shame

Wow! You must have loads of experience in a good way. I've handed my notice in I've only been with this company for 5 months. There's only 2 of us who do gas work. I'm starting up on my own and take jobs that I know I can do. The company is a Rubbish they don't know them selfs when it comes to gas and oil. I guess that's why this forum site has its advantages like guys like you experience you can't buy!

Reply to Baxi solo Pilot light stays on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a portable gas fire which keeps switching off. The pilot light lifts for 10 seconds, critically above the thermocouple and then the gas cuts out. It i smore noticeable when I walk past it and stir a slight breeze. I have blown out the pilot light assembly and it worked for an entire day...
Replies
Views
Hi, I turned my central heating on for the first time today this year and it started to bang and the flame inside looked a bit erratic. Upon looking in the pilot light viewer it looks like there is debris/embers burning resting on the bottom. I turned everything off and switched it back on to...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys, Got a problem with a Baxi Solo 3 PFL50 The "pilot on" light is on permanently It was intermittent, but is now permanent When this happened, the boiler would not go through the normal start-up sequence Turn on the control and the 'boiler on' light comes on, but goes no further I...
Replies
Views
C
Hi all I have an old Baxi solo 2 40 boiler. the other night that there was a metal sounding twang and the pilot light went out now the boiler will not work. You can light the pilot and that stays lit, but as soon as a load is asked of it it fires up for about 30 seconds and then it just cuts...
Replies
Views
I had a new Grandfos UPS3 pump fitted today, and am trying to set it up. I want it on 2nd setting, but having problems. The green light is on setting 1 and there is a yellow light on setting 2. If I press the arrow the green light stays on 1 and I then have yellow lights on settings 2 and 3. If...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock