Search the forum,

Discuss Bedding a WC pan down in cement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
I know this works - best used as a last resort - but not sure why..

I was thinking it might be less to do with adhesive properties as it is to do with creating a solid lump inside stopping the pan moving left/right/forward/back.

Is that right? Because often when you come to remove a pan that is cemented in you can just sort of topple it, implying it's less about it's adhesive qualities ..

Its not done much these days is it?

I mean in the '60's there was no silicone or sds drills just cement and putty.

I know this works - best used as a last resort - but not sure why..

Sometimes the cement can discolour the pot and it will show through the glaze like a shadow. This is because the pot is very porous on the inside.

It was done for one of two reasons, -

(1) Pan being installed on very uneven/or not level concrete floor. Common on a rough job, like an outside loo.

(2) A handy lazy way to just bed pan in sand and cement to save the trouble of accurate drilling, particularly if pan can be left not in use to give time to set.

I had to install some toilet pans using same method because the old pan had been done that way and there was a hole made in concrete floor for the original cement to grip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bedding a WC pan down in cement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock