Search the forum,

Discuss Beginner's dripping tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 96738

Hi,
My first post so don't know anyone I can start a conversation wiyh - so, as you welcomed me...
My bathroom sink tap is dripping (photos attached). Normally I would undo the large nut at bottom of the tap and replace the washer. However The nut doesn't seem to budge and I'm afraid that I'll break something off (perhaps it's not meant to be turned and there's some other way of getting at the washer). As the tap is old I'm also considering, if I can't fix the drip, of putting in a new tap - however (photos attached) the flexible pipe fitting is larger than I experienced before and a plumber (not a good one!) who looked at it said the fittings didn't match. So I'm unsure how to proceed. Should I (1) use all my strength to loosen the lower nut and hope for the best (2) undo the flexible pipe at the bottom and remove the tap and pipe and replace a new one (hoping the new flexible pipe will fit into the existing lower pipe) (3) get a proper plumber in - last option because I'm only a very tight budget at the moment.
Any advice very welcome!
cheers

IMG_0199.JPG

IMG_0204.JPG

IMG_6148.JPG

Hello. Just get the 1/2" washer replaced inside the tap.
Just needs the spout held well and the works removed using an appropriate spanner.
You could wrap a piece of cloth or leather around the spout and slide a piece of plastic pipe of at least 300mm long to give you leverage to prevent the tap body turning. Make sure your adjustable spanner is fully tight or else use a parallel jaw spanner that actually fits tighter to the nut as you put pressure on it. It is the large nut and anti-clockwise to loosen.
That tap is not old. It has the better old design works and looks decent. Plumbing not fantastic though with that flexi.

I should have added the suggestion that a proper method of attempting to slacken the works on that tap is to tighten the wrench onto the tap at approximately a 7 o'clock position (if you take the spout as 6 o'clock)
Then try slackening the works by using spout and spanner against each other pulling together with both hands

Great advice from Best.

An alternative is to get a bit of steel pipe (I use 300mm of old scaffold), with sheet rubber on the inside and slide it over the spout to brace it.

Take the handle off and use either a 17mm RING spanner or deep socket to undo it. That way you minimise damage to the chromed finish on the outside. I use a 17mm deep socket and an IMPACT drill/driver to undo them. The short sharp shocks works really well and I get less movement on the underside pipework so less potential for rotten leaks later. :confused::confused::confused:

That said you have to be careful about the basin it's on. I managed to break one once :eek:

Thanks a lot Dave and Best - great advice. In the event it was ridiculously easy. The tap undid easily and I simply replaced the washer and now it doesn't drip any more. The plumber was going to charge around £80! Curiously the washer was 3/4 inch and not 1/2 inch. I thought they were all 1/2 inch! The tap does move a bit still - when I feel underneath the locking nut doesn't move but the flexi-pipe does - not sure why this is happening and am loathe to start tightening the flexi in view of all the repair gunk that someone plastered all over it and the fact that it seems a bit rusted in. If I do decide to tighten the top flexi nut is it clockwise?
Anyway, thanks a lot - much appreciated.

Someone just used a 3/4 tap is all. fact it you get more flow aka overkill on a basin and size wise a little too large for my taste. What ho tho, its fixed

The plumber was going to charge around £80!
Sounds a lot if was that easy, but if it's a fixed-price job, it could be about right. A lot of money, I agree, but sometimes it's about how much you need to charge to be able to keep a business running rather than greed.

The tap does move a bit still - when I feel underneath the locking nut doesn't move but the flexi-pipe does - not sure why this is happening and am loathe to start tightening the flexi in view of all the repair gunk that someone plastered all over it and the fact that it seems a bit rusted in. If I do decide to tighten the top flexi nut is it clockwise?
The tap is loose in the basin? To see if I've understood you, the flexi remains stationary relative to the tap and the tap backnut stays stationary relative to the basin? If so, then you might need to tighten the backnut clockwise as seen looking from below - it's probably loose and the gunk is making it adhere to the basin. You'll have my sympathy if you decide not to get involved.

Sounds a lot if was that easy, but if it's a fixed-price job, it could be about right. A lot of money, I agree, but sometimes it's about how much you need to charge to be able to keep a business running rather than greed.

My old dad used to say that a job like that was £5 for the parts, £15 for the labour and £60 to still be in business on the day someone decided they needed it done.

Spot on. I'd say £5 for doing it and £75 for knowing how, what & when to do it. £80 very reasonable. Pimlico charge £157 per hour plus parts and time to source so £80 is a bargain.

Hello. Just get the 1/2" washer replaced inside the tap.
Just needs the spout held well and the works removed using an appropriate spanner.
You could wrap a piece of cloth or leather around the spout and slide a piece of plastic pipe of at least 300mm long to give you leverage to prevent the tap body turning. Make sure your adjustable spanner is fully tight or else use a parallel jaw spanner that actually fits tighter to the nut as you put pressure on it. It is the large nut and anti-clockwise to loosen.
That tap is not old. It has the better old design works and looks decent. Plumbing not fantastic though with that flexi.
That's a retry good idea with the leather, I will keep that in mind for the next tap. I always used the cloth and shoved a longer metal piece onto it to gain leaverage. Thanks for the advise . Thumbs up

That's a retry good idea with the leather, I will keep that in mind for the next tap. I always used the cloth and shoved a longer metal piece onto it to gain leaverage. Thanks for the advise . Thumbs up

Although I knew leather was a material we could use to protect chrome taps, it was on this forum I read some recommending using a piece of pipe and leather. So just passing it on.

Although I knew leather was a material we could use to protect chrome taps, it was on this forum I read some recommending using a piece of pipe and leather. So just passing it on.
However, it is a good idea and will give that a go next time. I just need to dig up some old thin leather to put that to my tool box :) thanks again Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Beginner's dripping tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock