Search the forum,

Discuss Best place to source low pressure bath filler taps in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

I'm having a nightmare trying to find matt black wall or deck mounted bath mixer taps with 3/4 fitting that work on 0.2 bar.

From tank to tap, I have around 2.4 metres, so a pressure of a little over 0.2 bar. The flow measured from the tap currently fitted is 11 litres per minute. Pretty much the same for a vast amount of properties around the UK on gravity fed systems. Yet most of the taps I can find are 0.5 or 1 bar minimum. I've tried a few of those but the hot flow was pitiful.

The bath taps currently fitted give an excellent flow and are rated at 0.2 bar, but the wrong type, finish, and about to draw their pension.

When it looks like I have found a suitable tap, the specs stated on the retailers webpage conflict with those in the manual. It's impossible to seek clarity as my questions to them either go unanswered or they don't know the answer.

Pumps are out as the three I've tried over the years have all failed within 24 months. So I really don't want to go down that route again.

Ideas and suggestions would be most welcome.

You won’t do it anything black will be modern / high pressure so you will likely have to find a low pressure tap and have it plated

I agree with the OP. Even ignoring black coloured taps; firstly, there are very few low pressure taps on the market - most people have combi boilers or high pressure cylinders these days. Secondly, outlets and even manufacturer web sites are riddled with errors on tap specifications - it seems the UK does pay much attention to science, engineering and to the accuracy of specifications and stated numbers. As an engineer, I find the situation awful. Look at, for example, Amazon's web site - many things don't even have proper dimensions and specifications listed. Thirdly, the choice of low pressure taps are pityfully limited. It's a very frustrating business finding low pressure taps in the UK.

I would choose the taps you want and then fit a pump.
But.
Buy a good quality pump and fit it properly - then I guarantee it will last more than 24 months (as will the manufacturer).

The pumps were Salamander and Stuart Turner. All three were fitted to spec. All three worked perfectly for the first year to 18 months. The water sensing switch on both Salamanders went U/S and the Turner started to leak after 14 months.

Salamander didn’t supply spares and suggested throwing a £200 pump in the bin and buying another, not exactly ECO friendly.

Hence being reticent about spending more on pumps then finding a low-pressure tap. I’ve since found a couple of black Bristan pillar taps that work at 0.1 bar. So similar spec to my current Bristan mixer tap. For the shower, I’ll keep with electric for now until I have the money to fit a combi boiler.

Form and function are not good friends when trying to fill a bath !

The pumps were Salamander and Stuart Turner. All three were fitted to spec. All three worked perfectly for the first year to 18 months. The water sensing switch on both Salamanders went U/S and the Turner started to leak after 14 months.

Salamander didn’t supply spares and suggested throwing a £200 pump in the bin and buying another, not exactly ECO friendly.

Hence being reticent about spending more on pumps then finding a low-pressure tap. I’ve since found a couple of black Bristan pillar taps that work at 0.1 bar. So similar spec to my current Bristan mixer tap. For the shower, I’ll keep with electric for now until I have the money to fit a combi boiler.

Form and function are not good friends when trying to fill a bath !

But if the pumps weren’t suitable and running dry occasionally how are the manufacturers at fault I would get back in touch with the person who fitted the wrong type of pump

You say Stuart Turner, which one?

If you fit the correct spec. Monsoon pump and it is actually fitted correctly then it will work very very well for a long time. I have some over 20 years old with my customers.
They are also covered by a 5 year guarantee should you be unlucky and get a duff one.

You say Stuart Turner, which one?

If you fit the correct spec. Monsoon pump and it is actually fitted correctly then it will work very very well for a long time. I have some over 20 years old with my customers.
They are also covered by a 5 year guarantee should you be unlucky and get a duff one.
I can't remember the exact makes of the Salamandar pumps as that was a while back. However, the Stuart Turner was a showermate single which they recommended. As far as I'm aware they didn't run dry. The supplier told me he had several back for the same fault as did the fitter. I put it down to experience, walked away and installed an electric shower. The low pressure taps I currently have are more than adequate, I just needed to update them with the same spec.

Also you need a twin pump as the pressures need to be balanced eg one can’t be mains pressure

Also you need a twin pump as the pressures need to be balanced eg one can’t be mains pressure
Sorry for the delay in replying, I had an issue with corroded pipes to deal with.

When I contacted the pump manufacturer's before I had these pumps fitted. All the above makers including Monsoon insisted I only needed a single impeller to boost the hot, hence why those were installed. As the pump is only required for the shower (hot water flow is fine in the kitchen, bath, and basin taps), for the cost of a Monsoon double pump I can either opt for a Mira low pressure .02 bar thermostatic or a snazzy electric offering. I had a Mira in my previous house and that worked excellent with only .01 bar (shower head was exactly 1 metre below the tank).

Nonetheless, your explanation does highlight where things may have gone wrong.

Reply to Best place to source low pressure bath filler taps in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock