Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Best Public Liability & Tool insurance in the Insurance for Plumbers area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. RoryD

RoryD Plumber GSR

from online they will phone me within 2 days

2. gavinwilson

gavinwilson Plumber

Mine wad about 128 for the year 2 k tools coverage don't own that monies worth of tools but it will do while I build up

sent from my annoying box

3. mutley racers

mutley racers Plumber GSR

where do you put the excess in guys? I just did the online form and got a quote for £378. Which is a lot more than what you guys got. Hot works, is that just using acetylene on even soldering? I remember people saying not to put in hot works

4. mutley racers

Oh I see. They email you all the details. I must have filled it in wrong or summut as it was so expensive

5. jase158

jase158 Guest

Eah I had the same, when they rang they said because I put in heating and plumbing, not just plumbing and the use of heat bumps it up and there is no option to change excess or the high deposit.

6. mutley racers

yip that is it. If you work on boilers its shoots u they told me too

7. jase158

jase158 Guest

that is crazy, just done it under plumber (domestic) and got £90.

but couldn't we just say that plumber includes boilers?

how can they define between the two?

8. Keefy

Keefy Plumber

Does that include 'hot work'?

9. jase158

jase158 Guest

yep and £3500 tools

10. Keefy

Keefy Plumber

For £90?

11. jase158

jase158 Guest

yeah, just cant work on boilers (which I dont do at the moment through trademan savers

12. Keefy

Keefy Plumber

That's excellent. Still waiting for my business account to open (been nearly 4 weeks now!) so I'll see if I get a similar deal. I'll post my quote soon.

13. Jacko

Jacko Guest

Can you get tool insurance alone as i spent about £1200 on tools and power tools but am not insured my boss has public liability of course just want to know so i can sort something out,

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2013
  14. RoryD

RoryD Plumber GSR

thing is jase, I doubt if they'd pay up should you set a loft on fire...am I wrong there? I need to know as I need liability too

15. Keefy

Keefy Plumber

Why wouldn't they? He said the policy includes hot works. I presume there's a clause which states you must be onsite for at least 30 minutes or something after the last use of a live flame.

16. tom_plumb

tom_plumb Guest

Was just on another thread having dug out my insurance documents to check something then saw this discussion. Been with Ashburnham Insurance for a few years and paying about £200 per year for Plumbing AND Heating as I work on boilers, etc. It covers me for £1,000,000 and allows work on central heating systems up to 60kW which is more than enough. Notice most people have been quoting cheaper premiums with different companies but they all seem to be for Plumbing only. My insurer has always been good and my premium has gone down (yes down!) for the last 3 years (I believe I get a renewal or no claims discount each year) so reluctant to leave but can't turn a blind eye to some of the prices I've seen here. Anyone else here got cover for heating work?

17. Keefy

Keefy Plumber

Got a quote over the phone from Allianz Insurance for £163 which gave me £1m public liability, £1,000 tools and would be subject to £200 excess. Reading through the PDF's they sent and they'd only put me down as a Plasterer/Ceiling contractor. The moment I noticed that they called me again to ask if I was happy with it which I obviously wasn't so they changed it to Plumber which bumped the price up to £350. Then because they'd made a balls up they gave me a discount which took it down to £283 but had a 'Hot works' clause of £500 excess.

Tried Tradesman Saver and they quoted me £90 for £1m cover, £1,000 tools and £100,00 legal assistance. Decided I might as well take it to £2m cover instead for the £12 extra at just £112.

I'll give everything a thorough read and most likely go with Tradesman Saver - and laugh really hard at Allianz when they call me back next week.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  18. Puffin

Puffin Guest

Anybody tried tools insurance online.com? Great quote for tool cover anywhere in EU up to £5000 value for £120 per year... Can that be genuine?

19. Keefy

Keefy Plumber

Don't know, you tell us. You work for them don't you?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Puffin

Puffin Guest

Thats a useful response, thank you...
    No. I don't work for them. I've just been quoted that online but it seems like it may be a scam as it's less than half the price I was quoted by my PL provider, for better cover.
    Worried about getting burned. Has anyone tried them?

21. Keefy

Keefy Plumber

Then please accept my apology. No, haven't tried them myself but personally the name of the company puts me off for some reason.

22. Puffin

Puffin Guest

Accepted!
    Just seemed a bit too good to be true somehow....

23. rocketmanbkk

rocketmanbkk Plumber

That Tradesmen Saver PL is seriously cheap.

I just got a quote for £112 for a year. Said yes to hot works.

Is there anything I should be asking?

24. tom_plumb

tom_plumb Guest

Sounds good! Think I will check these out when mine comes up for renewal. Only things I look out for on these different quotes is location restrictions (some are a bit funny about working at commercial type premises) and who the actual insurer is. One broker I tried gave me a good quote but I couldn't find any info about the insurer they were trying to put me with which put me off a bit. It was only £10 cheaper than who I'm with now so I didn't bother.

25. rocketmanbkk

rocketmanbkk Plumber

I ticked the no commercial box as Im looking at domestic for the moment.

26. tom_plumb

tom_plumb Guest

Ah! I do a few shops, offices and other commercial type places so that's prob why my current insurer is slightly more. Will still give this other company a look though once it comes up for renewal.

27. TerryH

TerryH Member

Just had a quote from Tradesman Saver for £84!!!
    Simply Business wanted £218.
    TS are e-mailing the details to me but it includes hot work, £1000 tools & £2m PL insurance.
    Absolute bargain (once I've read the small print).
    TerryH
    :rockon2:

28. Keefy

Keefy Plumber

Think that's the cheapest anyone's had here so far. I'm well happy with my deal from Tradesman Saver and hope their prices stay like that because I'll begrudge paying anything over £120 in the future. Hopefully I'll never have to use it and fork out those excesses.

29. TerryH

TerryH Member

Just to keep you all updated.
    I applied for an insurance quote, as I said in my post above, and asked for confirmation by e-mail, which arrived this afternoon.
    The e-mail was infected by a Trojan horse virus which was detected by my anti-virus software and blocked.
    Next thing is to 'phone the company.
    TerryH

30. nowucit

nowucit Guest

be really interested to know how you get once you have the small print . £84 is brill, well as long as there are great big holes to fall down :)

31. ratrace

ratrace Plumber GSR

Our renewal is up in a couple of weeks. We were paying £468 for the year for 2 million and £2,500 tools/equipment. The cheapest i can get so far is with corgi and they want £787 for slightly less cover. Annoyed and baffled. Just tried this tradesman saver, hopefully they will cheer me up when they call back.

32. rocketmanbkk

rocketmanbkk Plumber

I heard on the radio today about direct line price matching their like for like,

had a look and it was over double what I paid with tradesman saver with the same levels.

33. nowucit

nowucit Guest

Be great if you could share how you get on.

34. ratrace

ratrace Plumber GSR

I just dont understand how it is near double with no claims. All that has changed is we are now a limited company. Corgi said that isnt affecting there quote it is just what it is. Im fuming.

35. rocketmanbkk

rocketmanbkk Plumber

This is my first public liability so I thought if pay through the nose, not the case. I was very surprised.