Search the forum,

Discuss BK-G4 gas meter advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI, sorry if ive posted this in the wrong part of the forum but im after some information on BK-G4 gas meters. Mainly do they make an imperial one?

Ive has a smart meter fitted and my bills have dropped by an absoloutley shocking amount. I've been looking through my old bills and it says i was on an imperial meter buy i'm sure it was metric and the only evidence i can find is a grainy video on an old phone that i used to take the readings because it was installed in an awkward place. Thanks for any help, brynn

Yer mine has just the digits, the last two are red but i dont remember there being a dial on it. I could post the vid its badly focused, its only about 20 seconds long but im an electrician and i havent got a clue about identifying it. I stuck it on youtube at

That looked like a metric meter to me.
Either way, changing the Meter shouldn't cause lower Gas bills!!
If it did, we'd all have a new one installed.

Thats what i mean. my gas bill has dropped three fold. if i was submitting the digits from a metric meter and they think there imperial then when they do the conversion kwh the the amount used triples. 100 cubic feet is multiplied by 2.83 to convert it to cubic meters before the rest of the calculation is done. I live in a two bed terrace and hardly ever put the heating on because im always at work doing 12 hour days and in the pub all weekend but have gas bills at 100 quid in march. I put the values into this online bill calculator page and you can see what difference it would make having it recorded as the wrong type.

gaspng.jpg

lucky ive got it sorted it out but im not sure how im going to prove it and reclaim the hundreds extra ive paid the last three years since the old meter was stripped out months ago. my dad used to live here and always complained about how high his bills where and i think thats it. they have been charging me triple all along. I recalculated my bills from last summer and in a 3 month period i was charged £62 when it should have been £23. Thanks for the help, now ive just got to try and see if anything can be done by the utility company :/

Sorry, i've just caught the ferry. I was thinking you mustn't have been there long and you were gaining. Let me think again and see if I or someone else can help.

When you had the Meter swapped, they (I think) record the Meter number that is removed and the Meter number that is installed. Does that help?

Not a gas man, but I did work in the gas metering team at Eon many moons ago.
If I remember correctly, there are no 5 digit G4 meters that are imperial, all metric.
I'm still in contact with someone who works there so will ask him for confirmation.
I get your issue.
You're saying that if you used to have a metric meter but Transco (National Grid) had the details wrong and thought it was imperial, your bills would have been nearly triple what they should have been and this new meter is billing correctly, hence the smaller bills.
If it's true then you're probably owed a 4 figure refund.

Well he replied pretty quick.
Here's his reply:
Yeah metric meter G4 and E6 meter 5 dial, there are 5 dial imperial meters but not usually G4, the 5 dial imperial metres are old bg transco meters U6 meters.
So looks like you're in for a refund.
Congrats :D

Yer thats exactly whats happened. My bills where reasonable when i first moved in but then they started increasing dramatically and i assumed it was my lodger but hes gone and i work away. and they where still through the roof. its only because ive had this new meter that it made me question it and start looking through all my old bills. I decided to recalculate everything from scratch to check they hadn't messed up and thats when i noticed they had me on the wrong meter type. i used to take a pic of the meter to get the reading but ive spent about an hour on my computer and i havent kept a single pic. just that blurry video

But you can see it's a G4 and it has 5 digits, no further proof needed. They'll also have records of the old meter, someone in an office somewhere simply messed up the details. Get em told.

HI, sorry if ive posted this in the wrong part of the forum but im after some information on BK-G4 gas meters. Mainly do they make an imperial one?
Ive has a smart meter fitted and my bills have dropped by an absoloutley shocking amount. I've been looking through my old bills and it says i was on an imperial meter buy i'm sure it was metric and the only evidence i can find is a grainy video on an old phone that i used to take the readings because it was installed in an awkward place. Thanks for any help, brynn
A G4 is a metric meter
The U6 is imperial.
Similar in appearance the U6 imp will have the dial.
Where the G4 has numbers only measured in M3

A G4 is a metric meter
The U6 is imperial.
Similar in appearance the U6 imp will have the dial.
Where the G4 has numbers only measured in M3

U6 meters are not all imperial !
In fact the majority in place at the moment are metric.

The older U6’s (that were grey and later beige/mustard coloured in my area), measured in cubic feet, (only those that had a red test dial, some beige/mustard measured in cubic meters).

The more recent white ones measure in cubic decimetres and meters.

The reason for the U6 badge is because they are designed to pass 6 meters cubed per hour. (212 cubic feet).

A G4 Meter is also a U6 meter but It will pass 4 Meters Cubed per hour with a 0.5 mbar drop across it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to BK-G4 gas meter advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock