Search the forum,

Discuss black specs from taps in water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I have a standard condensing boiler fitted in 2013, BG 330+ I think.

Trouble is dirty water is coming out of taps in bathroom. Small little black flecks.
Also since this boiler was installed I've become disabled and also looking to get it changed to a combi for instant hot water what sort of cost can I expect?. Any ideas as to the black specs in water? it's very bad!

Small little Black flecks could be something as simple as the rubber tap washers or the rubber hose inside a braided flexi breaking up at a guess.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, however I can't see it being the washer as its been going on for a while now and the bits are like really fine and thousands of them each time you run the taps, therefore must be elsewhere, could it be coming from inside the hot water cylinder itself?

Do have any water filtration systems on the pipework? Have seen something like that on caravan parks

Thanks for the reply, however I can't see it being the washer as its been going on for a while now and the bits are like really fine and thousands of them each time you run the taps, therefore must be elsewhere, could it be coming from inside the hot water cylinder itself?
You said bathroom taps at the beginning not all taps!
Hot taps (all or some) and what about the cold taps, same thing there?

Ok, just checked again, the bath is fitted with a mixer/shower unit and it appears that the black stuff is coming out (a lot!) when it is turned to cold. The hand basin doesn't seem to be affected.

Ok, just checked again, the bath is fitted with a mixer/shower unit and it appears that the black stuff is coming out (a lot!) when it is turned to cold. The hand basin doesn't seem to be affected.
Guess that rules out the hot water cylinder as you guessed in post #3
And if it`s not effecting the cold tap on the basin then what is left to consider?

Sounds like it might be coming from your cold water tank if you have a copper cylinder

Yes I do have a hot water tank in a cupboard :( what would this mean? a replacement of the tank? I need to convert the system over to a Combi for my medical needs and wondering if this all can be solved at the same time. Any quotes for this work? I am in East London E17.

What I would say is, (if it makes any difference), I fitted this bath in, in 2004, it is a Jacuzzi type bath and it has the taps mounted centrally on on one of the longer sides of it, therefore I had to fit two of those long flexible metal braided pipes from the copper ones (which are located in the old end of bath position). Also as the mixer had very little pressure, it has only been used about 20 times in all those years as we use the shower downstairs, however, now my disability means I now need use of the bath. Hope that makes sense.

20180316_144008.jpg

If it hasn’t been used that much. It is probably stagnant water in the pipes that have formed a mould on the pipework. Can you flush the pipework properly?

I don't know how to do that. I do know that British Gas came out and fitted the Condenser Boiler (BG 330+), took some flush bottles into the loft to flush it, he also made a mistake on first day and said he fitted the valve in wrong way round (diverter valve?) and had to get in loft again to flush it out again second day

I don't know how to do that. I do know that British Gas came out and fitted the Condenser Boiler (BG 330+), took some flush bottles into the loft to flush it, he also made a mistake on first day and said he fitted the valve in wrong way round (diverter valve?) and had to get in loft again to flush it out again second day
That will be heating not hot water mate.

If it hasn’t been used that much. It is probably stagnant water in the pipes that have formed a mould on the pipework. Can you flush the pipework properly?
Yep, just open the cold water tap and let it run, see what happens.

Then why is it not effecting the basin tap?

Basin taps are normally fed from mains for brushing your teeth etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to black specs from taps in water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock