Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler advise needed re hot water issues in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wino

We have a glow worm 30ci combi boiler

We moved into our house the following week the fan packed in (cold Nov) so we called a plumber/gas engineer was told have to wait a week or two for part.

Rang BG out of desperation and being cold they came out and next day fitted the fan worked out cheaper to take out there plan than pay a one off fee

During the year we called them out 4 times to help us get hot water to no avail,iv since cancelled the plan

For the last yr and half we have been unable to get hot water so cold washes in a morning hubby has to take a kettle of booked water to shave and 4 kettles and 40 mins with water trickling to get a warmish bath

We have had enough we live in an end terrace 3 bed house with one bathroom

We are saving for a new boiler but worried if we do this we have same probs

Any advise you can offer would be fab

Put a post in the "I'm looking for a plumber" section on this site
18 mths without hot water! it ain't rocket science and should have been fixed by now

BG say it's fixed we question the boiler clearly if BG haven't sorted the problem we don't want to seek out another plumber thankyou for your reply tho

BG say it's fixed we question the boiler clearly if BG haven't sorted the problem we don't want to seek out another plumber thankyou for your reply tho

sorry to say theres no point in asking then as its a gas appliance you cant fix yourself, so why the question?

A new boiler will come with a warranty so you can cancel the BG plan.

BG say it's fixed

Sorry but it`s far from fixed, understand you may be on a limited budget but experienced people here have been known to fix things that BG can`t. Is the heating side of things working ok? 3 bed terrace with how many radiators? How old is the house & boiler? And finally where in the uk are you?

A new boiler will come with a warranty so you can cancel the BG plan.

Already cancelled plan as the renewal was way too expensive and still not solved our hot water plan looking at a new boiler to hopefully sort our problem I'm longing for a hot bubble bath lol

Sorry but it`s far from fixed, understand you may be on a limited budget but experienced people here have been known to fix things that BG can`t. Is the heating side of things working ok? 3 bed terrace with how many radiators? How old is the house & boiler? And finally where in the uk are you?

Hi heating side is fine now we have a thermostat fitted
We have 9 radiator s on our system
The hot water issue is same if heating is on or not
We are in north east Derbyshire
Thanks
No idea of age of boiler was told approx 10 yrs old we have only been in house 1 1/2 yrs

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi heating side is fine now we have a thermostat fitted
We have 9 radiator s on our system
The hot water issue is same if heating is on or not
We are in north east Derbyshire
Thanks

Thanks for the reply.
There you go boys (and girls), Glowworm 30ci combi, 9 rads all ok but no hot water for last 18months, anyone local want to help a lady have a hot bubble bath?

Could be a simple fix that BG has missed, it happens
Worse case scenario, call a reputable gas guy in to give you a diagnosis, obviously it won't be free
Also get back in touch with BG and ask what exactly did they diagnose and what have they replaced to "fix" it
Call BG first to give your new plumber a heads up

But you won't enlist another plumber???

Hi it's not a question of no enlisting another plumber it's the fact BG haven't managed to sort it we thought we would ask you helpful folk on here

We have also had 2 plumbers look at this to service it when we got keys to house and another when we noticed the hot water problem both of them were same as BG no idea it seems

Id look at new but I'd get a couple of quotes from independent engineers

Id look at new but I'd get a couple of quotes from independent engineers

Check that they are gas safe, if they are then they will not be offended if you ask to see their card.

just because bg is the biggest supplier of uk boilers doesnt mean those they employ will know how to repair them!!

their TV ad only says they get to 9 out of 10 calls before 12 on that day, they dont mention the outcome of any of those visits, which be a more accurate way to report how well they are doing!

just because bg is the biggest supplier of uk boilers doesnt mean those they employ will know how to repair them!!

Even though many expect just that, something I can understand by the way, but sometimes smaller IS better.

Last edited:
Fully agree BG may not know it all
We just didn't want to throw a lot of money at the problem if for instance they turn round and say boilers old or not up to spec
As you know we have had 2 plumbers out and paid BG for the new fan and 12 months boiler cover and called them out 3 times

Just wanted to know what a professional plumber would advise us

We have advised you. You need to get someone to come out and assess it. It may be beyond economical repair it may be easily repairable. We simply can't tell you a full diagnosis without I'm afraid nor would we owing to forum rules. Why not put an ad here and one of our peeps could come out. [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL] another option is contact the manufacturer who may offer a fixed price repair

Last edited:
You say that you have had two plumbers out and BG, what did they say was the problem? it simply can not be that they do not know, just to repeat what has already been said, call BG and ask them what the diagnosis was, get a Gas Safe heating coy to come and diagnose and quote, you will have to pay for this but it could save you a lot of money.

There was one bit that you mentioned that I would like to dig into though, (40 minutes with water trickling to get a bath) does this mean you have a trickle of hot water from tap?

You say that you have had two plumbers out and BG, what did they say was the problem? it simply can not be that they do not know, just to repeat what has already been said, call BG and ask them what the diagnosis was, get a Gas Safe heating coy to come and diagnose and quote, you will have to pay for this but it could save you a lot of money.

There was one bit that you mentioned that I would like to dig into though, (40 minutes with water trickling to get a bath) does this mean you have a trickle of hot water from tap?

Agreed mate I picked up on this too but would be gobsmacked if BG didn't look at it

Yes only on the bath hpt tap if we let it trickle it's hotish and we top up with kettles

BG sent 3 different engineers all stripped boiler down and spent from a couple of hours to 2 days replacing small components we did see a slight improvement but nothing like what we hoped for

Still searching for a plumber in Sheffield/chesterfield area
No luck so far had suggestions from plumbers to help get a hot bubble bath but boiler says no ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler advise needed re hot water issues in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

About 10 months I started having issues with a gas like smell in my home and the gas board was unable to find any gas leak I've still got the issue. When I first made contacted enviromental health I was told the following Could be my drains and to have my drains checked. Could be the sewers...
Replies
Views
The Water Board have just replaced the main water supply to our property. We have a ground floor combi boiler. The central heating system for the whole house is working as normal. Hot water is working as normal on the ground floor. However, there is no hot water to the first floor bathroom. This...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I wonder if you can help me? I have intermittent hot water low flow from all taps in my 4 bedroom house upstairs and downstairs. I can sometimes recover the usual water pressure by turning the hot and cold water taps on and off which seems very strange to me. There is no problem...
Replies
Views
Evening All, Been having on and off issues with a Greenstar CDI classic Combi were the hot water is not heating up but only intermittently. Some days/ weeks it’s fine and works fine all of the time but on the odd occasion it’s been running cold in the following sequence. It fires up the boiler...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock