Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler leaking (Heat exchange?) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can offer some advice, I've got a combi boiler (Getting pretty old now I think its around 12+ years old) currently on a BG repair plan.

Last year I had issues with the boiler not heating the water (luke warm) and the heat exchange was replaced along with a few seals and a gas valve due to boiler cutting out.

Yesterday morning I came back from work to find that my boiler was leaking, upon looking underneath it looks like the same part has gone again (I'm guessing its the heat exchange maybe?) It doesn't appear to be losing pressure that I can see.

I've rang BG but they have warned that due to the number of parts that have been replaced over the years they may condem the boiler if its a large / expensive part due to the age of the boiler and refuse to repair.

Can anyone tell me if this is the actual heat exchange, surely it should last longer than a year? If it isnt covered could anyone give an estimate of the cost for it to be replaced, currently I don't really have the funds to replace the whole boiler (the reason why I've always paid for a repair plan over the years) so really hoping it can be at least repaired for now.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_6253.JPG

That's the hot water plate heat exchanger not the main heat exchanger. Yours looks around a 16plate size so a decent sized boiler. They can be expensive to swap out but more often than not it just needs 4 new 'O' rings to replace the old perished ones and should be fairly cheap for a good engineer to fix. Costing the price of a call out and £10 -£15 for the new 'O' ring pack.

It is yes, should I still be safe to use the hot water / heating for the next week or so? (Bad time for it to start having issues with), house is freezing as worried it could damage it further)

Yea you will be fine unless it turns into a spray leak just put a bowl under there for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler leaking (Heat exchange?) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock