Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler Service failed today despite previous 3 passing it in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi need some advice on this odd story, I had a Bosch boiler installed just over 2 years ago by Governments home energy scheme. The company passed all checks, provided certs etc.

The government/Green scheme sends 2 other gas boiler engineers to double and triple check things and One was Bosch authorised to give Bosh warranty/certs., they passed it and so did 2 separate gas certified boiler engineers also.

New gas engineer turned up within 5 minutes said its failed installation, can't be signed off.

I thought the guy was joking, considering its new and 4-5 engineers passed it but he was being serious.

This is why he failed it:

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

He said he was 99% positive its a failure, its not installed with cement fire/fibre? resistant boarding and no hardiebacker board either. Also the flue needs to go through a sleave.

Due to my home having timber cladding, he said touch the flu pipe inside or outside when boilers on, it should be very hot and could burn down the house.

I believe during installation they used the same white board on the outside yet I have probably had 20+ council yearly checks all pass fine.

So I appreciate any advice on who is right or wrong here, and possibly what steps next to take?

Is your home timber construction eg like a stud wall but on your external walls ?

Is your home timber construction eg like a stud wall but on your external walls ?

Yes its got a timber frame, bricks at bottom maybe 2-3 metres and then almost a chipboard type wood panels in the middle and top with timber cladding on front. So its kind of a mixture of brick and wood.

I did consider he may not be use to such houses since people are use to brick, stone, concrete builds.

I also checked all the Gas boiler engineers that serviced so far, including todays one that failed it and even the company that installed the boiler are registered on the gas safety site.

Yes its got a timber frame, bricks at bottom maybe 2-3 metres and then almost a chipboard type wood panels in the middle and top with timber cladding on front. So its kind of a mixture of brick and wood.

I did consider he may not be use to such houses since people are use to brick, stone, concrete builds.

I also checked all the Gas boiler engineers that serviced so far, including todays one that failed it and even the company that installed the boiler are registered on the gas safety site.

Is the flue part around and above brick or wood panel construction?

Is the flue part around and above brick or wood panel construction?

The black flue part on the outside? its well above the brick and coming out of wood so its sort of poking out of the wood panel white board. Its that white square piece of board the engineer suggested is flammable and unsafe since its not the correct type of wood.

He is basically saying that white board and even the brown board on the inside is unsafe and flammable.

I don't quite understand this since its been like that for 20+ years

Last edited:
I have included some more close up shots in case it helps:
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

Id say the brown board on the inside boiler cupboard is roughly 1 inch thick, it does not look like its any special type of wood or fire resistant material exactly its also loose I was able to pull it a bit forward off the plasterboard wall so there is no cement/plaster/silicon or any grip/bond material filler there, the white board piece on the outside is made up of 4-5 thinner almost plyboard board looking pieces of wood just stuck together to give it some thickness and depth perhaps.

Either way if I compare it to the cement pink board used on my solar panel electrical battery/meter installed in my house you can tell 100% straight away its fire/electrical resistant since its got an almost chalk type filling and it looks different to normal wood material.

I am certainly no boiler engineer, but do DIY so can tell these wood pieces for the flue fixture don't appear that good or special but I could be wrong.

I am still waiting for the original company that installed it to get back to me but they have yet to re-contact me back.

I think this boiler engineer might have been correct deeming it fire risk hazard and unsafe installation but unsure.

It doesn't comply even though it isn't really a fire risk...

thanks, are you referring to the non-combustible sleeve enclosing the fluepipe
part in that link?

Wonder why this fella felt so strong it was a fire risk with those 2 bits of boards, maybe a case of everyone's opinion is different.

Either way appreciate the link, I can forward it to the appropriate people sorting it out with any luck.

No, mounting the flue in a sleeve is just one way of achieving the required air gap or distance. Assuming your cavity is filled with non-combustable insulation I'm just referring to the the internal (mdf) and external (ply) boarding that holds the flue in place.

That'll have to replaced with a non combustable material as it's touching the flue. The problem here is that the regs blanket cover all types of combustion furnaces with all types of flue without exception.

No, mounting the flue in a sleeve is just one way of achieving the required air gap or distance. Assuming your cavity is filled with non-combustable insulation I'm just referring to the the internal (mdf) and external (ply) boarding that holds the flue in place.

That'll have to replaced with a non combustable material as it's touching the flue. The problem here is that the regs blanket cover all types of combustion furnaces with all types of flue without exception.
thank you, much appreciated.

The company that originally installed it claim there is nothing wrong, they spoke to Bosch technical department who provided this Worchester boshc pdf here to back up everything installed is gas safe and no fire risk with my boiler and its installation.

I think I will contact the Gas register board for my concern and see if I can get some assistance on this, since few engineers feel its unsafe. I will update

thank you, much appreciated.

The company that originally installed it claim there is nothing wrong, they spoke to Bosch technical department who provided this Worchester boshc pdf here to back up everything installed is gas safe and no fire risk with my boiler and its installation.

I think I will contact the Gas register board for my concern and see if I can get some assistance on this, since few engineers feel its unsafe. I will update
I agreed from the onset that it really doesn't present a fire risk. However as per the bulletin it appears to be in slight conflit with building regs as the gap between the inner and outer flue wall is 20mm rather than 25mm. I'd get back to the engineer with the bulletin and ask him if he's willing to to reconsider if not tell him you'll be contacting Gas Safe for advice. Actually contact GS first with your story.

Last edited:
Hi appreciate and thanks to all that replied to me earlier about my fire risk boiler issue.

I did get a gentlemen from the Gas safety register board today, popped in within 10 seconds said there is no fire risk at all.

And he also provided the same bosch boiler system installation guide lines pdf I linked earlier here, he explained in very simple terms its not the regulations or building regulations or laws that you go by straight off the bat, its the Boiler Manufacturers guide lines that you go by 1st above all else then the rest follow.

So there is no fire risk board/material needed since its met its clearance rule and no sleave required since its metal.

Am off to get it serviced by someone else, so matter resolved.

Reply to Boiler Service failed today despite previous 3 passing it in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock