Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler Shutting Off - Cooling Down Too Much? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
We have a GlowWorm Betacom 24c and we have it set to the maximum CH temperature at this time of year. It ranges from 30-90 on the boiler. Just wondered if it was normal for the boiler to switch off after running at 80-90 for a while (minutes) and then switch off and let itself cool right down to the 50 light before kicking back in and heating back up? Could the boiler thermostat be on its way out or something or is this normal?

Last winter it was actually cooling right down to 30 before kicking back in and warming back up. Just before winter it was drained, flushed through with the mains, had a fernox magnetic filter fitted (getting a lot of black crap out with this!) and refilled but it still seems to let itself cool down to much for me or am I just plain wrong ha?

Also is it normal for my CH flow to go upstairs first? I find this very odd also! Its a single pipe system and is a relatively small setup really, two large radiators downstairs with a little one at bottom of stairs and two medium radiators upstairs with a little one in the bathroom.

Thanks!

sounds like you need an engineer to look at your issues

It's to stop the boiler cycling. ( turning on and off to much). It saves fuel.
It can be reduced. But best getting someone with experience to do this.

Also your system, being a one pipe will not disperse heat fast enough for a modern boiler. As he return water comes back too fast.

It's to stop the boiler cycling. ( turning on and off to much). It saves fuel.
It can be reduced. But best getting someone with experience to do this.

If it sounds fairly normal I'm happy for it to do it just wanted to check really. I guess if it kicked in again at 80 or even 70 it would wear itself out twice as quick.

Is it normal (sometimes) for the CH flow to go upstairs first? This does seem odd given the heat from downstairs would naturally rise upstairs so it would make sense to give priority to downstairs?

Im not trying to attempt a self repair here just don't want to call someone out and pay to be told everything is fine and normal! We have heat so there is no issue with the CH. Just curiosity really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler Shutting Off - Cooling Down Too Much? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I have a Glowworm Ultimate 35C boiler. It shuts off at its max temp of 60C when heating radiators and the pump carries on running pumping heat round system but it seems to let temperature drop at least 30 degrees before burner comes back in by which time radiator temperature has dropped...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have a customer with a modern anthracite vertical radiator and a modern TRV and lockshield. The radiator makes a loud metallic bang from within the radiator, when it heats up and cools down. I have opened the lockshield fully, lowered the boiler pressure from 2.5 bar to just over 1...
Replies
Views
Hi All This is following on from thread I made a few days ago but can't seem to find I'm in a bit of a bind with my CH design where I want to sort all of my rads and do some other bits including fitting a filter but I'm stumped on how to drain down due to how the system is put together...
Replies
Views
I have just moved into a late 1990s new-build house with a small bore (about 1/2" OD pipes) gas fired boiler central heating system. All the normal radiators get hot but two of the three towel heater/radiators don't get hot and the pipes feeding them are cool to the touch even after the boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need to drain my vokera 29 boiler in the attic as Im going away for 4 weeks at least to make sure there are no frozen pipes. In my small 3rd floor flat, I have a radiator in the front room and one in the hall (very close to each other), there is a drainage valve on one of these. My back...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock