Search the forum,

Discuss Botched kitchen tap plumbing in a new build? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been living in a new build for 4 years, my kitchen tap recently broke. Took pictures of it to B&Q for advice and they told me I wouldn't be able to fix it on my own as it looks like a botched job (copper pipes directly into the tap rather than a mixer?) Can anyone confirm if and what has went wrong? Pictures attached. Will be greatful for any advice.
Thanks
20170804_111612.jpg
20170804_111605.jpg
20170804_111559.jpg

B and q don't know what there talking about

But you will require a plumber but it's not a bodge

Copper tails are sometimes supplied instead of flexible hoses and there's nothing wrong with them, in fact most prefer them. Apart from the silicone which shouldn't be needed at the top of the tails there's not a great deal wrong

Just be a little bit careful as to which is hot and which is cold. Hot normally goes in on the left, but in your case the left hand side appears to be connected to the cold.

Connecting them correctly means the hot comes down an inner pipe to the spout, and the cold is outside that. To an extent that arrangement stops the spout getting too hot to touch.

As above not alot wrong apart from the silicone thats not needed copper tails are fine cheers kop

It is a 4yr old new build so assuming the OP is the first owner that is a bodge installation.

Didn't notice the silicone to begin with mate. My bad. The op questioned the pipes underneath. That's what I was commenting on when I said looks fine to me. When the silicones was brought to my attention by somebody else that's when I said the oring has probably gone or is missing hence the silicone.

Didn't notice the silicone to begin with mate. My bad. The op questioned the pipes underneath. That's what I was commenting on when I said looks fine to me. When the silicones was brought to my attention by somebody else that's when I said the oring has probably gone or is missing hence the silicone.
Fair enough mate now tell me would you consider that a bodge on a new build where there is time to highlight the problem of missing O-ring?

OP, I would replace the whole tap as it is broken(?). Buy another then post photos of what you have and the good guys here will and can guide you through the fitment.

Shaun, that is a bodge even if parts were missing.

Stops the tap moving / flexing turning and no leaking through due to sink top flexibility

Not really a bodge in my opinion

Hold one, as a new build what is your guarantee?

The copper tails were probably supplied as part of the mixer tap and are generally thought of as better than flexis, (which are only rubber pipes with outer metal braiding to prevent them bursting.) So the copper tails are good and your B&Q are obviously wrong.
The silicone might have been done by the installer to try to be belt & braces with sealing the mixer to sink.
The soldering is typically a bit rough, but one thing I consider is a bodge is that the copper tails have been connected by soldered fittings to your pipework. Really should be fittings that can be uncoupled, - like brass compression fittings IMO. But no law against soldering directly to the copper tails, just daft though.

Fair enough mate now tell me would you consider that a bodge on a new build where there is time to highlight the problem of missing O-ring?
If it was like that from original install then yes. But if it has worked loose over time due to it being on a thin metal sink with no support between the bottom of the sink and the retaining clip and nut and someone has done it afterwards, then no as then it would not be the house builder fault. Just trying to look at it from all angles mate.

If it was like that from original install then yes. But if it has worked loose over time due to it being on a thin metal sink with no support between the bottom of the sink and the retaining clip and nut and someone has done it afterwards, then no as then it would not be the house builder fault. Just trying to look at it from all angles mate.
Over to the OP then, anybody worked on it since you moved in?

The copper tails were probably supplied as part of the mixer tap and are generally thought of as better than flexis, (which are only rubber pipes with outer metal braiding to prevent them bursting.) So the copper tails are good and your B&Q are obviously wrong.
The silicone might have been done by the installer to try to be belt & braces with sealing the mixer to sink.
The soldering is typically a bit rough, but one thing I consider is a bodge is that the copper tails have been connected by soldered fittings to your pipework. Really should be fittings that can be uncoupled, - like brass compression fittings IMO. But no law against soldering directly to the copper tails, just daft though.
Leaving the soldering aside, is that flexi`s inside the copper?

?? No, I was just trying to redicule flexis to the OP. :)
Appreciate you coming over from the other forum to help here, re the Saniflo post.
Starting to have second thoughts tbh.
Too many wannabes and diyers giving advice nowadays imho and I thought diynot was bad.

Too many wannabes and diyers giving advice nowadays imho and I thought ****** was bad.
Ah, it seems you aren't allowed to even mention another diy¿¿¿ forum here

Sorry Dan.

Too many wannabes and diyers giving advice nowadays imho and I thought ****** was bad.
I do my best to give the best advice I can mate. Everyone has a different opinion and everyone has there own way of doing things. Some right and some wrong. That's why it's good to have the forum. Even though I am just a pup even old dogs learn new tricks every now and again.

I do my best to give the best advice I can mate. Everyone has a different opinion and everyone has there own way of doing things. Some right and some wrong. That's why it's good to have the forum. Even though I am just a pup even old dogs learn new tricks every now and again.
No you are generally ok HF, wasn't referring to this thread on it's own.

No you are generally ok HF, wasn't referring to this thread on it's own.
No worries mate. Would not want to give the impression to people that I thought of myself as the high almighty. As I do not. I am always happy to learn and be educated.:):D

Harvest, it isn't anything about you that RPM is talking about.
You are doing an exellent job.
I think it is the DIYers and the odd posts that have raised concerns

No worries mate. Would not want to give the impression to people that I thought of myself as the high almighty. As I do not. I am always happy to learn and be educated.:):D
Glad to hear that, those people soon get shot down on open forums. Every day a skool day eh?

Harvest, it isn't anything about you that RPM is talking about.
You are doing an exellent job.
I think it is the DIYers and the odd posts that have raised concerns
You've hit the nail on the head mate.
Been shopping lately?

You've hit the nail on the head mate.
Been shopping lately?

Lol! Yes, I found the best shop!!
The staff are very knowledgable, as you said.
Thank Tootsie from me for the info. ;)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: rpm
Long & short is, surprise surprise, B&Q havent got a clue.

When you buy your new tap make sure its WRAS approved rather than cheap crap, pipe it correctly, make sure it's suitable for your hot water system pressure & fit good quality (e.g. Pegler) full bore isolating valves so future maint takes minutes.

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Botched kitchen tap plumbing in a new build? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock