Search the forum,

Discuss Brass fittings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A quick snatch saves a wet lap

Would you snatch even if miss dopolopolas had a 10 thousand pound carpet in the room you was working in

I'm sure she won't mind a few nice black marks on her nice £1000 cream carpet :) haha if its a cream carpet don't snatch!

All this talk of snatching. You need to appreciate the difference between doing it on a sealed system and an open vented system. Once a sealed system has lost its initial pressure and the water in the system is at atmospheric pressure, the existing water in the system is a vacuum. Unless you introduce air into the system, in theory the water can not be released from the pipes, to see this in action, place a clear straw into a glass of water, hold your thumb over the straw and pull it out, most of the water will remain in the straw until your remove your thumb. The same happens to water in a heating system.

So as long as you don't allow more than one outlet to be open, you can quite easily change a trv on a sealed system, with minimal mess (always protect the surrounding areas though!).

You can not do the same on an open vented system, you need to create a vacuum by bunging the open vent and cold feed at the header tank. Also, never bung the feed and vent to a cylinder, it can cause the cylinder to implode!

When snatching a rad valve, slacken the nut on the pipe very slightly & then disconnect the other nut on the tail side (block tail with bit of rag) & turn the valve out towards you & open to check no water coming out before you remove the valve.

Well rick if I'm completely honest I would drain system down. And I know people are thinking why, I just have never used bungs yet and prefer draining as I would have perfect control over the situation. I am fitting a new rad on a sealed combi system Wednesday and I'm gunner try just releasing the pressure and having one end open at a time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well rick if I'm completely honest I would drain system down. And I know people are thinking why, I just have never used bungs yet and prefer draining as I would have perfect control over the situation. I am fitting a new rad on a sealed combi system Wednesday and I'm gunner try just releasing the pressure and having one end open at a time.

If the rad is the same width just isolate valves and crack a nut and drain the rad opening the bleed to let air in. Catch water in a tray fill a bucket and then remove rad and hang new one in same place:)

Too easy Kay jay the pipe work is under the floor with two stop ends on. I have some soldiering and bending to do :(. Buts thanks anyway! :) .

If there is no auto vents open, then you are not going to have any bother changing a rad valve on a sealed system. Fair enough, you will have to consider if the carpets & wallpaper are too delicate to risk any water near them.
I changed a Trv in a room with carpet & wallpaper, on an open duel oil/solid fuel system a couple of days ago. Was in the house by myself. Bunged the two 15mm vents at exp tank with Speedfit stopends & the feed pipe plugged. Took me seconds to swap the valve using a towel to keep the carpet dry.

Why don't you buy a set of bungs rick and practise using them at yours assuming you have an open vented system. Make sure you have faith in what you use round customers houses.

My first rule of plumbing:
Never leave an open end on anything.

I always put screw on caps on isolators and valves as well. Kids like to play with valves and anyway they could fail. Caps also prevent dirt getting into isos which is number one reason for them leaking at the screw slot when turned off.

I like this answer how ever im not sure what you mean by having one end open at a time?

If the rad is the same width just isolate valves and crack a nut and drain the rad opening the bleed to let air in. Catch water in a tray fill a bucket and then remove rad and hang new one in same place:)

Im liking this answer

College taught us to isolate the lsv and trv crack open the two nuts to the rad slightly! lift the rad of its brackets and lower the rad to the floor.Completley disconneted the two nuts from the rad and lift the rad up so the valves are pointing up then pour into a bucket.

Im thinking you mean isolate the valves disconect the nut on the trv valve to the rad let the water pour into the bucket using the rad key to open the air bleeding valve to control how quick it comes out then remove the rad completley?

Why don't you buy a set of bungs rick and practise using them at yours assuming you have an open vented system. Make sure you have faith in what you use round customers houses.

Ive got a sealed combi system lol and im not confident at bunging up an open vented system lol

If it is a small rad, isolate both valves, place a shallow tray and towels under the rad, crack both nuts, once the initial pressure has dropped, fully undo one nut and place your thumb over the rad tail, do the same with your other hand, lift the rad off the brackets and turn the rad upside down. Carry rad out (with your thumbs covering the tails still!) and empty it outside!

Practice makes perfect, just practice on laminate flooring first!!

You can't have two ends open rick because air will go in though one end and push all the water out the other if one end is open atmospheric pressure is stoping the water escaping the one open end because it has no where to go it just stays in the pipes.

College taught us to isolate the lsv and trv crack open the two nuts to the rad slightly! lift the rad of its brackets and lower the rad to the floor.Completley disconneted the two nuts from the rad and lift the rad up so the valves are pointing up then pour into a bucket.

Im thinking you mean isolate the valves disconect the nut on the trv valve to the rad let the water pour into the bucket using the rad key to open the air bleeding valve to control how quick it comes out then remove the rad completley?

Your college teachers must never have removed a rad in their life!
Lift it off the brackets & lower it to the floor.....? Firstly, you risk flooding the place & damaging the pipes & secondly, not all pipes will have movement to allow the rad to be raised while still attached to them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Brass fittings in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock