1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

2. WARNING! We do NOT provide advice related to Gas or other fuels to people who are not currently an official registered Heating Engineer. Do NOT ask for advice related to boiler repairs or installs. You need to find a heating engineer instead.

Either seeking or providing advice on UKPlumbersForums.co.uk may result in your account being suspended or removed. These rules are in place to prevent deaths, which can easily occur from messing with heating systems when you're not qualified to do so.

Dismiss Notice

Couple of important things to note. 1. We use Cookies, deal with it. Every website does. 2. Nobody but a currently-registered Gas Engineer should be touching gas or gas appliances. Don't mess with gas at all. 

Discuss British Gas 2 week training in the Gas Safe Register Forum - Public Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. kb76

kb76 Plumber GSR

Hi all, not been on for a while and apologies if this has already been covered recently. I went to a BG induction/assessment morning a few weeks back and got through the first stage. I've now been invited to go to their academy in Thatcham for two weeks further assessment and training. Put up in a hotel etc expenses paid. This is on a self employed basis as a service & breakdown engineer which is all I pretty much get involved with now. Anybody else done this or booked in for it?
    Cheers

2. jtsplumbing

jtsplumbing Plumber GSR

Knew someone that did it recons it was ok, when he started he used there van, did quite well for about 18mths then they laid him off, trouble was during that time he had lost all his own private customers, so had to struggle to find work

3. kb76

kb76 Plumber GSR

Was he expected to sell boiler changes while he was with them? This is my main concern as I'm not a salesperson but have heard BG are keen on their engineers to push the sale of new boilers?

4. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

all engineers are expected to sell irrelevant of employment status.

5. moonlight

moonlight Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Not too impressed with BG an engineer who went to a property I do work at, said the old lady needed a new boiler. As her flue was at risk. She asked me to quote. What was the problem I hear you ask? Not a problem with the boiler, I checked just a terminal guard badly rusted. New guard fetched and fitted in an hour. I wont give quotes when not required. Come on BG.

6. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Guy I know from my local watering hole works for BG and I asked him about pushing for the powerflush and new boiler thing. He flatly denies it and said sometimes & sometimes not it all depends on what is there and the condition of the boiler and the water.
    I tend to believe him but maybe he`s a good apple in the large barrel.