Search the forum,

Discuss British Gas Assessment day in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah ive got City and Guilds level 2 + 3 in plumbing, doing the service and repair aswell :)
I'm about 2 hours away from Dartford and they said i'd be eligible for accomodation so you should be fine
i think they reimberse your travel/petrol money up to a certain amount

Ahh yea that's good, no way I'm doing 4 hours traveling a day anyway lol

EDIT: starter pack just arrived

alot of paper work to read through

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys
I also start on the 27th June in Dartford, really looking forward to it!
There's quite a bit to read through in the starter pack but its all pretty straight forward, I had a few questions for BG regarding the contract and stuff and they got back to me within 24 hours, were very helpful and put my mind at ease

have you had any info on the first week etc, whats the plan sort of thing?

I received an email today with all the info for when we start
who is going leeds again??

seems as though we do the BG award on the first week in skipton

Good luck to you all. i must say you cant knock the apprenticeship, best in the industry on all accounts.
When your out working for them in the big wide world, thats for you to make your minds up on them, but cant knock that year up in leeds!!

Neil Shackelton is the chap to say hello too, say i said hi, i think hes the head of the academy now, which is a good thing because hes a great bloke. he was my class tutor whilst i was there, in class S1.

Theres alot to get through in a year so pay attention and youll be fine!!

Hi guys great that yous got the job :) anyone got any more tips on the assessment centre, i understand this thread is a few years old lol but any tips would be appreciated as i am attending the assessment centre next week for a trainee gas installation engineer! :D Im a little nervous

they have probably changed all the questions etc over the last 3 years :)

I wonder if any one can help. I have had my interview and being color blind didn't help. So I have been asked to come to there training academy coming Monday and do a Trade Test.

Does any one has any idea what a Trade Test involves.

Any help much Appreciated

best leave the wiring side alone, re the test just practical testing of your knowledge

I had my colour vision test and unfortunately I didn't get in. The test is on a board with various colour combination of wires on connectors and given 20 questions to answer them all correct and I got 3 incorrect, it had to be 100%. Gutted but not given up.

I had my colour vision test and unfortunately I didn't get in. The test is on a board with various colour combination of wires on connectors and given 20 questions to answer them all correct and I got 3 incorrect, it had to be 100%. Gutted but not given up.

Sorry to hear this. I remember when I started my apprenticeship one poor lad didn't declare he was colour blind and was kicked of the course on the second day. Unfortunately it's pretty much essential to identify all the wires correctly, for your safety if nothing else.

Unlucky bro. When i went to my interview i done the colour vision test by reading numbers on the book lol i kept missing one out then the woman asked one final time is there a number there and at the last glance i seen 46 lolol sorry to hear you never got it. Keep your head up

Hi guys, I have the telephone interview tomorrow and was sent a heating diagram which says will be needed for the first multiple choice question. I can see a couple of floors in it already so interested to hear what the question will be.

If anyone knows as to what the other questions are about I could do with all the help I can get. I've always got flustered in multi choice, written exams with badly worded questions and ambiguous answers so the thought of doing it over the phone with a stranger is adding to the anxiety a bit. I know I've left it late it's 10am tomorrow, but any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and good luck everyone else going through the same. Cheers

Hello all,

Any recent updates to this thread from what I would guess would be people nearly through the apprenticeship by now?

I have my telephone interview this Thursday for an Apprentice Service and Repair Engineer located in Northampton. I applied using their website on the 9th, and heard back via email on the 12th asking my to book a telephone interview.

Just wondered how everyone else that made it is getting on now

Tony :)

6phone interview is easy mate. Went over one of those star questions and asked about myself and what i knew about bg and why i wanted to work there etc

Cheers mate.

Whats a star question?

How far have you got with it all?

It's ok, I googled star questions.

Have PM'd you too for some more info :)

Just had my phone interview and he told me I had passed, but all applications are reviewed by a higher team, so they would get back to me.

I think that is a polite way of saying I didn't pass :(

Can i ask what vacancy you was applying for mate

Apprentice Service and Repair engineer for Northampton area.

Still waiting to hear back after being told I passed phone interview.

Have you applied for anything?

Tony.

Made it through to Assessment centre in Leeds next week.

Wish me luck! I'm nervous already as this means a lot to me. I did a year Plumbing at college ten years ago when I left school, but jacked it in when I saw my mates earning £200 a week full time, when I was working part time around college earning £70! What a silly boy I was!

Any tips or pointers for the face to face interview part?

I feel ok with the practical bit and the role play I think, but unsure what to expect in the interview with HR!

:(

Any tips or pointers for the face to face interview part?

I feel ok with the practical bit and the role play I think, but unsure what to expect in the interview with HR!

:(

I'm also attending the Leeds facility next week for the same role but in a different location to you.

Hope all goes well!

I didn't make it. :(

Did well on mechanical reasoning test, and fine in the team work exercise, but they said I didn't give the answers they wanted in the Face to face competency based interview.

I'm still determined to get into the plumbing trade, however it may be a little harder now as age is against me.

I might reapply after the 6 months has lapsed.

Good luck everyone else.

Vr6 What did the assessment centre involve? was there more tests like the online ones?

I didn't make it. :(

Did well on mechanical reasoning test, and fine in the team work exercise, but they said I didn't give the answers they wanted in the Face to face competency based interview.

I'm still determined to get into the plumbing trade, however it may be a little harder now as age is against me.

I might reapply after the 6 months has lapsed.

Good luck everyone else.

Sorry to hear you did my make it :( Don't give up!
What happened on the assessment day? Did you have to do something practical or was it all senario based question?
What questions did they as with the face to face interview?

Hello all,

Assessment day was an afternoon from 13:15 to around 17:00.

First off a face to face competency based interview with a HR person, and the regional manager for my area. Google competency based interviews and you'll see the type of questions they ask about teamwork, criticism, leadership etc. So for instance tell me about a time you worked in a team. If you have had the telephone interview with BG it is much the same.

The one reason I can think I didn't make it was because I waffled on a bit and went off on a tangent at certain questions, but overall a little disappointed as I thought I did quite well, and got good feedback from the HR lady with nodding heads, smiling etc. She looked genuinely interested in what I was saying - either that or the two small tattoo's on the edge of either palm? half inch names on both of my hands?? Who knows - they said that it was down to me not being direct enough about my answers in the interview, and to be honest I should have stuck to the STAR method.

Anyway... On to a Mechanical reasoning test. 40 questions, multiple choice in 20 mins.
Very easy if you are mechanically minded. Cog A turns this way, which way does cog B turn... If you are unsure google some practice questions, as the practice tests that are online make the test on the day very easy in comparison!

Lastly, a teamworking exercise. You are given tasks to perform as a group to hit a certain number of points. I cant really say more than this, but it is quite simple, just make sure you listen and pay attention. Don't talk over others, but still contribute to the team.

As said I am disappointed, but hey ho - thats life!

On the upside, I start at Moulton College Silverstone site next tuesday evening on a Plumbing and heating level 1 course.

It's only a part time one evening a week course, but by April time I will have a level 1 certificate. A year on from that I will have level 2, so even if no NVQ - I still have something. NVQ needs practical experience with a qualified plumbing business, so can work on sweet talking some of my mates in the trade too.

Thanks for your help guys, and looks like I will be sticking around

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Do British gas do assessment centres in recruitment agency offices?

Last edited:
Don't mind me while I bump some threads in the plumbing forum category. This thread might not be a current topic, if it isn't, just let it drop off the list.

If you DO want to reply to it, go ahead, that's fine. Your post might add some value to the thread and help newer members in the future.

I applied in March, had my telephone interview in April and have been waiting since. The lady in the interview told me I was successful but I am not guaranteed a place, fair enough. They emailed me two weeks ago letting me know they are still considering me. Such a long and drawn out process.

I'm just bumping this thread for no particular reason. If it isn't a current topic, don't worry about it, just ignore it and it'll move off the forum list before long. If it is a topic you'd like to reply to though, go ahead. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to British Gas Assessment day in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock