Search the forum,

Discuss Brother in Law - Water Pressure!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

Last time I wrote on here my brother in law just got a place and in the end we removed the storage heater because of space and now he has just a couple of electric rads. He doesn't get cold much so the space saving (and aggro reduction) over a year is worth the increase in cost from having storage heaters. I won that battle!!

Next though he can't get used to bathing or using his shower head that attaches to the bath taps! The pressure is terrible (the cylinder is vented at moment and has about a foot drop from the header) But he wants to keep the hot water to the bathroom sink (otherwise I would of small unvented under the sink and electric showered it!)

So I'm thinking unvented unit where the current cylinder is. But being a middle floor flat and no visible pipework (apart from under the sink) I am a bit worried of leakage given its running at like no pressure now to putting it up to 3 bar. As far as I know there's no preliminary test I can perform either?

And no, I'm not G3 so Id be getting someone to do it don't worry :)
However 2 people have seen this job - one said just do it and the other advised against in case of leakage... Help!!!

you can install a drip tray if your that worried but unless there 10 + years old they dont tend to leak

also do you know the pressure and flow into the flat (cold mains) ?

Flat is around 20 years old I believe. The unit would be new.
The pressure I think is around 3 bar although I am not 100% - I am going to go tomorrow with a weir gauge.
I think we have to assume it's enough to run the unvented otherwise the only option is electric shower and unvented under kitchen sink unit
Means the bathroom sink will only have cold water though.

Drip tray underneath the unit? Sorry, for clarity I meant worried about the pipes leaking which go through the flat? (and above the downstairs flat) in case they are pin holed already or the joints just cant take the pressure increase.

thats great

and put it this way the same pipes are carrying the mains water around the flat :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Brother in Law - Water Pressure!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I live in an apartment with a cold water tank. The cold water tank feeds the cold water tap in the sink and the bath. Recently, I refurbished my bathroom, and according to the plumber who fitted the new taps, high-pressure taps were fitted. Consequently, the water from taps is of a low volume...
Replies
Views
M
I have a viessman vitodens 222F combi storage boiler on the ground floor. It has 100l capacity inbuilt cylinder which is delivered on mains pressure. I bought it hoping I could have two showers across floors running with hot water even if it’s a short while, while avoiding an unvented...
Replies
Views
Max Hill
M
HI Iam hoping someone can provide guidance on a heating problem. I have a (old) Ideal isar HE35 where there is no hot water for the 2 showers at the property, there is water flow but not warm. I can confirm there is hot water from the sink/bath (downstairs and upstairs). I noticed that the...
Replies
Views
We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are about to upgrade the upstairs bathroom and are considering installing a shower bath. My concern is that although there is more than sufficient...
Replies
Views
B
Hello, and thank you for reading. My partner and I have just purchased our first property that came with a dual cylinder electric water heater, and an electric shower in the bathroom. As it happens, the shower needs replacement, and we were thinking of removing the electric shower (Mira Sport)...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock