Search the forum,

Discuss Calmag magnetic filter blown off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammathias

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Had a call out earlier, leak through ceiling from boiler. There was a calmag magnetic filter which had blown completely off the threads which you unscrew to access the magnet. Baffling because id have expected it to be split/damaged.... Screwed it back on,topped pressure ran heating upto temperature and everything seems fine..

Has anyone had similar problem with magnetic filters?

Yeh ive always used magna. Bloke said its been installed 8 months with no leaks at all. Then it blows off..not very reasuring isit! I did suggest him change it. Strange how the threads where all good.

Doesn't sound possible to blowoff and bit be damaged

Oh yeah it wasnt a pushfit connecter. It was the actual threaded bowl part!! Doubt the where messing with me and flodding there house for fun haha

Hi Just had the same problem at the weekend, had a new combi boiler and a cal mag filter fitted Dec 15th 2016 worked fine until last weekend when a loud bang was heard upstairs and then water ran up to find the lower part of the filter had blown off with water leaking into the bedroom and through the kitchen ceiling
Plumber who fitted it came out and also could not find anything wrong with the threads but said he would get in touch with supplier, phoned today said a new filter would arrive tomorrow though the bowl that has blown off have now been replaced and made off brass.
No fault by the plumber and no I did not mess around with the filter but wonder if this has been changed due to a number of filters blowing off
Not sure where to claim for damage Cal Mag or own insurance

You claim is with your plumber if he/ she supplied it. They will have to chase the manufacturer

Looks like i will be sticking with magnaclean from now on!! Never heard of it happening. The plastic must expand a hell of alot!

YEP. had two of them BLOW-OFF due toe bad threads on fitting about 4 years ago, stopped using them on systems. I do't know if its a bad design OR manufacture fault, but they cant take the pressure and high temperature, i think they expand a little. Been using spirotech and magna clean since. I kept the calmags and use them on my flushing machine, low pressure, so ok.

Same as scott i have only had leaky TF1s now only use Magnaclean cheers kop

I see loads of magnas leaking from valves, more so the old red valves, the other day I changed leaking valves on a newer one, been fitting the Fernox TF1 Omegas lately, 25 year warranty cant really go wrong.

Spoke to calmag and they are sending me a replacement newer model. I asked if they have had alot of faults and he swiftly said not really any at all. I smell bull... Cheaper is not always better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Calmag magnetic filter blown off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock