Search the forum,

Discuss Can anyone tell me if this is a good plumbing job? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked the plumber to connect the waste pipe of the bath and basin to the existing soil stack.

He has cut the soil stack, then connected the pipes, and added 2 large rubber flexible pipes with cable ties.

Is this normal?

Attachments

• IMG_20160228_093740887.jpg
    IMG_20160228_093740887.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 302
Technically nothing wrong with it. I would of used a couple of slip couplings so they didn't stand out.

Also did he connect up both the smaller waste pipes, as they could do with some clips on them really.

Last edited:
FYI, they're stainless jubilee clips not cable ties, called a Flexcon; not the prettiest but saves disturbing the whole stack to try and squeeze a slip coupling in.

When the stack is next painted you won't even notice!

What a disgusting eye sore bodge up, he's obviously cobbled that together from any random multi coloured fittings in his van, no clips, no cement.

Whatever anyone says , that guy has no pride in his work. What else has he done?

Personally, I would have used 2 seperate strap on bosses
One for the basin, higher up and one for the bath or shower, saves the need for antivac traps and is the better/correct way to pipe it
Also would have used black pipe and fittings

I get fed up of posts like this.
Why do we even bother squabling over them. I would have done this. I would have done that.
Just because one person may have done it different doesnt mean its a bad job.
Undoubtedly its done to a price. Everyone wants cheap and more often than not pee and moan about fit and finish afterwards
But judging by the fact there isnt **** everywhere all over the walls i deem it a success lol

Last edited by a moderator:
What a disgusting eye sore bodge up, he's obviously cobbled that together from any random multi coloured fittings in his van, no clips, no cement.

Whatever anyone says , that guy has no pride in his work. What else has he done?

I agree. Knuckle bend on the bath waste, no rodding point, and why not do it all in black with a couple of strap-on bosses? Would have saved on the Firncos as well.

To the OP: does it work? If it does then what's the issue? More to the point, how much did he invoice you for?

Some say yes, some say no ........ Personaly I think it looks a tw@t

Looks like it's leaking to me, have a close look on the bottom fernco

You would go strap on boss all day long, maybe the guy who carried out this work is scared of a good old strap on excuse the pun :D

If it just needed those 2 wastes bossing in, I too would have used a couple of strap on's with tee's and rodding access's, if he didn't like strap on's he should have used a couple 4" boss pipes and then just one ringseal slip coupler, cant see the need for 2x ferncos anyway when it could have been done with one.

Im not going to slate someones work unless I know how much he charged/you offered for the work to be carried out though

Why do we even bother squabling over them. I would have done this. I would have done that.
Undoubtedly its done to a price. Everyone wants cheap and more often than not pee and moan about fit and finish afterwards
But judging by the fact there isnt **** everywhere all over the walls i deem it a success lol

Price over Pride in my humble is no excuse, otherwise it is a race to the bottom isn't it phill ?

So everyone comments, is that such a bad thing, just people expressing the standard that they would not go below, it might even highlight what the expected standards of a professional plumber should be to those who have not had the formal training of you & I.

Pride in my trade would stop me from installing that rubber & jubilee clips concoction at what ever price.

Opinion - exactly what im expresssing
Everything comes down to price.
Which is why many wouldn't bother with some jobs.
Is this any different to the posts "is my boiler install crap" and people here say "ohh yes because it hasnt got a magnetic filter" when the punter wont pay for one....
Or the radiators are piped in plastic cos "id never lower myself to use that" when they wont pay for copper....

It all comes down to cost...

Last edited by a moderator:
just another means of doing the same thing, me I would use slip couplings and match the colours, though hardly a worry if the loo outlet is already a mismatch!

Thanks for all your replies. I'm sure I'm asking a very common question so I appreciate your replies.

I haven't been connected to a bath/shower/basin or flushing toilet for 2 months...

Before the plumber went to screwfix - I forgot to specify black pipes - I knew he would come back with different coloured pipes....so a paint job it is.

How much would someone charge to redo all this pipework - including new soil stack? Maybe I will redo it when I win the lottery.

BTW - this is plumber no. 3.

Plumber no.1 left me - when I told him I wanted to change from paying him day rate, to a single price for the job, as he was in his 3rd week with nothing still connected. So he walked out.

Plumber no.2 was fine to begin with. Said he would charge me Ā£500 for first and 2nd fix. A 2 day job. He said he was flexible, could work weekends to suit me....then once he started, he said the job was not as straightforward as he thought - due to non standard fittings (which he did not ask to see before he priced it).
At the end of the first day, I probably ticked him off, by asking him if he would mind moving the basin and I would pay him extra for the change. But no price agreed. He took days to get back to me. Then agreed a day, but didn't turn up (after my old mum waiting all day). Then when he turned up 3 days later - he said he wouldn't charge me for moving the basin - but then he drilled the hole in the wrong place.
When I sent him a photo of the hole in the wall not lining up with the basin waste he said it was because I hadn't provided him with a washer nut for the basin, which led to the hole being drilled wrong.
He said the only solution was to move the basin up by 20mm to match the hole. But when I checked, basin would need lifting by 70mm - making it over 95cm high.
Has anyone experienced these tactics before? When a plumber realizes he has under priced for a job, tries to get out of the job by being a total **** just so he can get sacked, and then produce a new invoice (not itemized) - and basically price for what he wants - so he doesn't lose any money out of it?

I asked him what I owe him, and to factor in his mistake which I would have to pay to get rectified. He responded by ignoring the mistake, and billed me Ā£250 for '1 days work'. At the end of his email he says he has 'dealt with people like me before' and if I don't pay he will will 'see me in court'.

Any thoughts? :thinking2:

Plumber no. 3 is OK - just putting in some ugly, yet probably functional, pipework. He agreed to finish the job plumber no.2 left - for Ā£380 for a final fix, and the basin/bath waste. I.e. fit the shower, basin, high level cistern and radiator. The only slightly dodgey thing - he asked me for Ā£200 for putting in those ugly wastepipes and drilling a hole. He said he had 'cash flow problems', and he would come back later to finish the job - and wouldn't ' let me down'.

I'm sure this story is very familiar to many. What is strange is that plumber no.3 was recommended to me by my friend (who unlike me - happens to be a guy). He was asked for payment AFTER the job was finished. So maybe I just got mug written on my face? :yes:

Last edited:
Would it not have been better to have used a tee in place of the first elbow on the 40mm, add a reducing bush and then drop the 32mm straight in to it?

Feebs - I feel sorry for you. To get one iffy plumber is bad enough but to get three chumps is against the law of averages (probably)

Thanks for all your replies. I'm sure I'm asking a very common question so I appreciate your replies.

I haven't been connected to a bath/shower/basin or flushing toilet for 2 months...

Before the plumber went to screwfix - I forgot to specify black pipes - I knew he would come back with different coloured pipes....so a paint job it is.

How much would someone charge to redo all this pipework - including new soil stack? Maybe I will redo it when I win the lottery.

BTW - this is plumber no. 3.

Plumber no.1 left me - when I told him I wanted to change from paying him day rate, to a single price for the job, as he was in his 3rd week with nothing still connected. So he walked out.

Plumber no.2 was fine to begin with. Said he would charge me Ā£500 for first and 2nd fix. A 2 day job. He said he was flexible, could work weekends to suit me....then once he started, he said the job was not as straightforward as he thought - due to non standard fittings (which he did not ask to see before he priced it).
At the end of the first day, I probably ticked him off, by asking him if he would mind moving the basin and I would pay him extra for the change. But no price agreed. He took days to get back to me. Then agreed a day, but didn't turn up (after my old mum waiting all day). Then when he turned up 3 days later - he said he wouldn't charge me for moving the basin - but then he drilled the hole in the wrong place.
When I sent him a photo of the hole in the wall not lining up with the basin waste he said it was because I hadn't provided him with a washer nut for the basin, which led to the hole being drilled wrong.
He said the only solution was to move the basin up by 20mm to match the hole. But when I checked, basin would need lifting by 70mm - making it over 95cm high.
Has anyone experienced these tactics before? When a plumber realizes he has under priced for a job, tries to get out of the job by being a total **** just so he can get sacked, and then produce a new invoice (not itemized) - and basically price for what he wants - so he doesn't lose any money out of it?

I asked him what I owe him, and to factor in his mistake which I would have to pay to get rectified. He responded by ignoring the mistake, and billed me Ā£250 for '1 days work'. At the end of his email he says he has 'dealt with people like me before' and if I don't pay he will will 'see me in court'.

Any thoughts? :thinking2:

Plumber no. 3 is OK - just putting in some ugly, yet probably functional, pipework. He agreed to finish the job plumber no.2 left - for Ā£380 for a final fix, and the basin/bath waste. I.e. fit the shower, basin, high level cistern and radiator. The only slightly dodgey thing - he asked me for Ā£200 for putting in those ugly wastepipes and drilling a hole. He said he had 'cash flow problems', and he would come back later to finish the job - and wouldn't ' let me down'.

I'm sure this story is very familiar to many. What is strange is that plumber no.3 was recommended to me by my friend (who unlike me - happens to be a guy). He was asked for payment AFTER the job was finished. So maybe I just got mug written on my face? :yes:
3 plumbers left the job ???

I think we've all been up against a customer like Feebs. Only experience gives you the courage to not get involved from the off. But if you decide to then cover yourself with written estimates, terms and conditions, deposits and payment plans.

Feebs, my advice to you in the future, get written estimates, provide a written specification detailing the work, materials supplied and timescale, don't keep changing your mind, take references for tradesmen, don't try and get a cheap job by employing under skilled odd job men. In my experience proper tradesmen only walk off a job if they are messed around or don't get paid. Do a written job specification, Get 3 written estimates for the work from proper bathroom installation companies not odd job men, take references and actually speak to the previous customers, agree a payment plan, agree a time schedule, don't change the design half way through.

As above my advice would be the same, if you think the price seems expensive its most likely going to be a good job,

As for the pipe work the only fault I can see with his method is lack of clips but they could still be added but would need to stand off the wall with bits of copper and would not look the nicest but would be functional

Feebs something else to consider. Was any electrical work carried out in the bathroom such as shaver or toothbrush socket, new lights, electric shower? If so this work needs a certificate to be legal. Also having had a second look at the picture, is the 4 inch waste pipe connected to the rain gutter? Is this a new bathroom? Has some idiot connected a foul water outlet to a rainwater soak away?

I take the point that sometime price pressures force down the quality of work, but checking the colour of an existing soil stack before ordering fittings for it is just good practice. How much does it cost to ask "what colour is the existing soil?" And that double flexible connector job is not the cheapest solution.

I also take the point that if it doesn't leak, its "working".

BUT...

we also agree that word of mouth is the best form of advertising. Would you recommend this plumber? I surely wouldn't.

Feebs something else to consider. Was any electrical work carried out in the bathroom such as shaver or toothbrush socket, new lights, electric shower? If so this work needs a certificate to be legal. Also having had a second look at the picture, is the 4 inch waste pipe connected to the rain gutter? Is this a new bathroom? Has some idiot connected a foul water outlet to a rainwater soak away?

I'd say the 4" pipe steps out over the gutter with a pair of 45's and vents to atmosphere
Could well be wrong though

I take the point that sometime price pressures force down the quality of work, but checking the colour of an existing soil stack before ordering fittings for it is just good practice. How much does it cost to ask "what colour is the existing soil?" And that double flexible connector job is not the cheapest solution.

BUT...

we also agree that word of mouth is the best form of advertising. Would you recommend this plumber? I surely wouldn't.

Don't disagree with any of that Ray
BUT..... Sometimes It takes experience and a dose of courage to walk away from a job. And that's something that is learnt by experience through dealing with many many customers and situations over time. And there's always 2 sides to every situation. From the grammar in the OP I would guess there has been a comms issue between the customer and the trades. The old expectation exceeding experience conundrum. And no I would recommend the guy that did the outside work, but he was recommended and that opens another can of worms as to the recomendee's standard.

BUT...

That's not a plumber

I asked the plumber to connect the waste pipe of the bath and basin to the existing soil stack.

He has cut the soil stack, then connected the pipes, and added 2 large rubber flexible pipes with cable ties.

Is this normal?

It's a complete disgrace IMHO

would have been a lot cheaper with a couple of strap bosses also tidier also the work is rubbish

Gotta agree here, I am also abit confused as to why OP went to trouble of taking a photo, uploading it to pc, registering on this forum, then making a thread. In what way does the job look suspect? Plenty of stacks have the easily recognisable rubber coupling. Its rare to see a single colour and style of fittings, correctly clipped and terminated stack on an old house (round here anyway)

Also the fact that you had 3 plumbers puts serious doubts about whether I would want to be your 4th.

Gotta agree here, I am also abit confused as to why OP went to trouble of taking a photo, uploading it to pc, registering on this forum, then making a thread. In what way does the job look suspect? Plenty of stacks have the easily recognisable rubber coupling. Its rare to see a single colour and style of fittings, correctly clipped and terminated stack on an old house (round here anyway)

Also the fact that you had 3 plumbers puts serious doubts about whether I would want to be your 4th.

if you think that's ok I'm sure he wouldn't want you as number 4

Def wasnt the cheapest option.

Always in my mind that if somebody can leave something like that on show then how bad is the stuff you cant see.

Couple of strap ons and sorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can anyone tell me if this is a good plumbing job? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Iā€™m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. Iā€™m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. Itā€™s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock