Search the forum,

Discuss Can Hep2o & Speedfit Mix? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LeakyNick

Hi

Can you mix Hep2o and Speedfit fittings/pipes? e.g. Hep2o 15mm to speedfit 15mm elbow?

Thanks

Leaky

Use a piece of cooper 15mm to join them.

The inserts, and internal dimensnsions are not the same!

Thanks...but using the correct inserts for each type, can I then interchange? Presumably the external dimensions are standard.

Leaky

the only way you can safely mix them is to use only copper pipe to join them as if a leak were to occur either company will tell you you have not installed them as per manufacturers instructions i.e you have not used their fitting/inserts/pipe but hep20 and john guest speed fit both allow copper tube if you do try it any way certainly would not look very professional :)regards turnpin

stick with one make, then you dont have to try, it looks shoddy mixing bits and your warranty is invalidated as mentioned

They ALL have the same OD but slightly different ID's so the fittings are all suitable for each other but you must use the correct inserts for each type of pipe. You won't find it written in any manu's instructions as they don't want you thinking it is ok to use the competitions stuff.
Btw i only ever use it as a last resort (yes i know, move with the times and all the rest of the rubbish). I just think it looks shyte and is unproffesional.

They ALL have the same OD but slightly different ID's so the fittings are all suitable for each other but you must use the correct inserts for each type of pipe. You won't find it written in any manu's instructions as they don't want you thinking it is ok to use the competitions stuff.
Btw i only ever use it as a last resort (yes i know, move with the times and all the rest of the rubbish). I just think it looks shyte and is unproffesional.

I agree, as we always try to give customer something they could never ever do them selfs.

Poly, Hep and SF all have there place in this modern time and have some very good applications. Cant understand why you would even want to start mixing and matching!

LeakyNick are you a Professional PLUMBER or are you someone who couldnt even put a pipe in a snowmans mouth :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps a Hep pipe is already there..protuding out of a floor and he wants to join onto it using speedfit or visa versa. Perhaps it's too tight to get tools in. Maybe he uses copper so much it's never come up for him before. Either way it's obviously not such a stupid question that there wasn't some disagreement.

we always try to give customer something they could never ever do them selfs.

My sentiments exactly.
Always tried to teach the young lads that plumbing is not difficult now and most people could do it themselves BUT they pay us because they want/expect a quality proffesional job which they can't do themselves.
Unfortunately there are many "plumbers" AND customers who wouldn't know a quality job if it bit them on the bum.

Ask around the plumbers who love fitting speedfit and the like what they have in their own house. It may surprise you but most say copper.

I've had to accept Kilos instead of pounds. Don't have to accept plastic pipes indoors !!

Whats wrong with plastic pipe anyway???

Its great in many situations where copper isn't . . .

You old boy plumbers are a bit like copper pipework - inflexible, hard to work with, and easily ruffled . . .

Different materials for different jobs.

Whats wrong with that?

I was always told that if you used a poly fitting you must use a poly insert, as with john guest. The pipe is the same. Have done this on site temps and had no leaks.

You old boy plumbers are a bit like copper pipework - inflexible, hard to work with?????, and easily ruffled . . .

But we are (straight from the copper board website this :))

Tried and Tested been at it for years and years
Versatile you can rely on us and we won't let you down (well i won't)
Long-lasting i'm still at it, a bit worse for wear but holding up
Healthy and safe don't know about the healthy but see above and got more risk assesments and COSHH stuff than you could shake a stick at
Good value for money I've not got the time to mess about, in and out job done
Recyclable ashes to ashes and earth to earth and all that stuff. The worms can have me when i'm done.
Resists heat, corrosion, pressure and fire hard skin, waterproof (tried and tested) i like pressure and cope with it easily and i've never set a house on fire
Non-permeable if i don't want to listen i won't
Professional skills well that one speaks for itself
Industry support have a network of 100's of guys i have known and worked with over the years and i'm in snipef so can get any smart answers i don't know from people who do.

:D:D:D

OK...for those who are interested, I have some Hep2o coming out of a floorboard under a bath at the caziest of angle (about 15 degrees) which then (hidden behind a bath) curves up the nearby wall to a mixer-valve/tap for the bath. I need to re-route this pipe as it exits the floorboards (via elbows-hot and cold) and flexing plastic pipe to some sensible angle so that I can route 'proper' pipes to new taps on a new bath. (can't easily get floorboards up). As I'm quite new to this, I was thinking of using speedfit as I understand that you can only buy hep2o on very long (50m?) lengths and I need about 1m at most. So, it was really an economic question as to why I'd need to mix two types of plastic pipe.

my merchant will cut it off the roll by how long you want 1- 2- 3 meters
same with copper:)regards turnpin

Interesting...not what I was lead to believe. But I'll ask

Leaky

OK...for those who are interested, I have some Hep2o coming out of a floorboard under a bath at the caziest of angle (about 15 degrees) which then (hidden behind a bath) curves up the nearby wall to a mixer-valve/tap for the bath. I need to re-route this pipe as it exits the floorboards (via elbows-hot and cold) and flexing plastic pipe to some sensible angle so that I can route 'proper' pipes to new taps on a new bath. (can't easily get floorboards up). As I'm quite new to this, I was thinking of using speedfit as I understand that you can only buy hep2o on very long (50m?) lengths and I need about 1m at most. So, it was really an economic question as to why I'd need to mix two types of plastic pipe.

Oh dear oh dear!

Got a leak in my house, started last night. Went in loft to find source. It was on a speedfit coupler on hep pipe. Been there a good 10 years or so. I didn't put it in. Isolated it since haven't had time to sort it yet. Will be going to sort it in a bit. I'm wondering whether...

a) wrong insert on hep pipe
b) speedfit coupler just gone dodgy
c) a speedfit coupler shouldn't have been put on a hep pipe, correct insert or not...

Taking all bets...what will be in the answer...roll up roll up

They do fit and as I'm told to use the pipe insert to the pipe being used sos in your case assure the Hep2o has the nominal steel steel pipe support inserted before pushing all the way home..!! Good luck.

..Spanner

Since it is your own house rip all the plastic shy.. out and do it right:D

Never knew that the Hep2o was that old,, need Anniversary..I probably missed it, but I was advised when using b pipe to use the approved pipe insert...Good luck

..spanner.

plastics been around longer than me.

ive started to quote with plastic and with copper for last 6 months as i was losing jobs to people installing just plastic. pride takles a big part in my work but so does winning jobs - the customer in last year or so have been getting 5-6 quotes unheard of before and going with the cheapest.

as to original poster - use correct inserts and you wont go far wrong.

When we use plastic pipe it is NEVER where the pipework can be seen. We never do rad upstands in plastic because they can never look right and will not take a bashing from say a baby buggy wheel.

A quotation for a full installation will spec. the type of pipe to be used and usually will be
for all copper and then a 2nd one for a mix if the customer wants to go that way.

I am gratefull to read all the info about which plastic system fits what

centralheatking

Well the leaking joint was on a speedfit tee. Took it apart and the hep pipe has speedfit insert. Investigated others and they all do. All the pipe is hep, all the fittings and inserts are speedfit.

the customer in last year or so have been getting 5-6 quotes unheard of before and going with the cheapest.

And as a result, usually get what they pay for, as the saga post on here over the past week is showing:D

What an interesting debate. If history is anything to go bye? Its going to be plastic all the way. Remembering the introduction of plastic waste and soil systems, all the guys i worked with (along with me ) were anti plastic. The introduction resulted in deskilling the game and allow those with out a clue on soil and waste to cunjur up all sorts of abortions. But because is just meant a bit of gurgling and the odd blockage punters were not really aware of the reasons. (Dyno rod were not complaining either) It was also a time when gas fitters were failed plumbers (no qualifications required) just screw a bit of barrel and throw it in for a carcass. Once they managed to blow a chunk out of a block of flats (Rowen Point) aii sorts of 5hit hit the fan and CORGI was introduced. Which helped to train people on the physics, material, jointing methods, testing etc. Perhaps this fact will need to be repeated when every Joe Soap starts doing the plumbing using just a knowledge of push fit jointing and not much else. Contaminating our water supplies is not quite so news worth as an explosion but can have a similar effects.

So, just to close on my specific rumination... is the general consensus here then that the most likely cause of a weep on this joint (made between hep pipe with a speedfit insert and a speedfit fitting) was the wrong insert being used? Funny it held for so long. Can't see any reason why it went now either. On taking it apart it all looked like new, as plastics often do.

common cause for leaks in plastic pipe is down to those furry things with long teeth/tails, they also try chewing copper on occasion but thats harder so they prefer plastic. Even worse are squirrels, they destroy plastic pipes!! in seconds

And as a result, usually get what they pay for, as the saga post on here over the past week is showing:D

yep - they sure do.

im struggling to get bathroom swaps for 300! its getting ridiculous...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can Hep2o & Speedfit Mix? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock