Search the forum,

Discuss Can I buy a stainless steel WC close-coupling kit? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
The siphon on our 1980’s close-coupled Armitage Shanks WC has failed. I found a very helpful YouTube video advising replacing it with a serviceable Thomas Dudley Turbo 88 Syphon. I’ve got as far as checking the coupling wing nuts, to see whether I should be able do the job myself, or need to call in a plumber with an angle grinder to cut off rusted screws. One of the screws pulled right through the back of the pan, so I guess that side of the coupling plate has rusted away. Can I get a stainless steel replacement close coupling kit, that might last as long as I hope the fixed part of the Thomas Dudley Turbo Syphon will, and if so, where from?

With thanks in advance,
Chris

No you can't but you can get brass screws and wing nuts

No you can't but you can get brass screws and wing nuts

Thanks Shaun, my own searches had been unsuccessful. Frustrating that I can’t find a plate that is likely to last!

I was planning to substitute stainless steel coach screws and wing nuts for the zinc-plated ones typically provided in kits. Any reason why brass would be better?

Chris

Over stock much but over ss nothing

DSC_0813 Remains of original bathroom WC close coupling plate after rust fell off, 2017-12-13.jpg
I’ve now replace the siphon successfully, but found that the close coupling plate was in an even worse state than I feared (photo after knocking off the looser flakes of rust uploaded). It’s so frustrating that I had to fit another plate that’ll probably go the same way!

Chris

Yes very common they don't make them any good

Always change the plate with a new kit

My whole reason for choosing the Dudley Turbo 88 syphon was that the working parts can be replaced without removing the cistern from the pan. I was hoping never to need to dismantle the whole WC again, which is why I wanted a close coupling plate that would last!

Chris

To go like that, it must be leaking , or a serious condensation problem.

• Agree
Reactions: rpm
Aim to cure the cause not just the problem. Lots of cistern bleach blocks rot the rubber leading to leakages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can I buy a stainless steel WC close-coupling kit? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock