Search the forum,

Discuss Can the bottom section of this soil stack be turned? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I'm a DIYer and have a problematic toilet setup to fix:

The waste pipe was installed too high for waste to flow out from a standard toilet spigot, so I want to install a wall-hung toilet on a frame to get some extra height.

To put it where I want it though, I'll need to rotate the bottom section of this soil stack by 90 degrees. Does this look like one that might easily turn? Or are there obvious signs that it won't?

(In the second photo I've wiped away as much dirt as I can for you to see it up close).

I've been told by professionals that if it doesn't turn, I'll need this section cut out and a new one installed. But I'd like to do this job myself if it's possible.

Thanks in advance for your help and expertise.

Attachments

• PXL_20230819_113751520.jpg
    PXL_20230819_113751520.jpg
    436.7 KB · Views: 22
  • PXL_20230819_114109890.jpg
    PXL_20230819_114109890.jpg
    403.9 KB · Views: 21
Yes the tee will turn left and right

How much are you out by as the tee will lower maybe 10-15mm

Yes the tee will turn left and right

How much are you out by as the tee will lower maybe 10-15mm
It can? That's great news and thank you.

It's probably a bit more than that unfortunately - maybe even up to 50mm. Previously I've been told I'd need to install a toilet on a platform or raise the entire floor, but then I discovered Geberit frames and similar.

Assuming that is my best option, does it look clear from the picture that it'll turn with some gentle force? I've read that similar installs may have been glued or that turning it will risk damaging seals etc.

Again, I really appreciate your advice on this, so thank you.

Yes will turn left and right as it’s push fit might need a strap wrench or a piece of pipe in the tee etc

Depending on if the plumber used grease or soap or nothing at all will depend on how easily it turns. Leverage is your friend so put a bit of soil pipe in the fitting and use that as a turning arm, do it slowly and carefuly though without any lateral movement of the stack or it may snap the ring seal collar.

Depending on if the plumber used grease or soap or nothing at all will depend on how easily it turns. Leverage is your friend so put a bit of soil pipe in the fitting and use that as a turning arm, do it slowly and carefuly though without any lateral movement of the stack or it may snap the ring seal collar.
Really useful advice. Thank you for this. Between yourself and Shaun I've got the confidence to (carefully) do this now. Have a great weekend!

If you want to before you do it squirt some fair others available in the joints top and bottom and spread it around the collars should seep down by the time your ready etc

If you want to before you do it squirt some fair others available in the joints top and bottom and spread it around the collars should seep down by the time your ready etc
Bl**dy hell.. this forum is great. And you mean Fairy Liquid or similar, right? (Just want to make sure I don't use the wrong thing.)

Either way - this is very generous advice.

Yes sorry :D noticed I missed liquid off

Reply to Can the bottom section of this soil stack be turned? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock