Search the forum,

Discuss Can you suggest a new forum category? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Take a quick look through the forum, and see if you can think of a new category. If you can't, then that's okay, but if you think we're lacking in a certain area, then please do let us know.

Thanks for your help.

Specific section on, 'Sealants sealing everything.'

Everything about Silicone (of course)

Everything about plastic Trims and Seals

Cheers
Andy

Cheers
Andy

Are you trying in a round about way ,to suggest a flexible silicon and plastics fetish forum Andy? :eek: :D

A basic knowledge base for DIYers?

Such things as "How many appliances can be run off what size pipes" and so on.

Basic knowledge about combi and shower installation requirements i.e. water pressures and flow rates.

How long waste pipes can be on single stack systems and so on.

Basic system design knowledge i.e. frictional head loss in a system.

These and questions like them seem to come up time and again.

Manufacturers training info (their own in-house courses if they do them). Good route for forum sponsorship I would have thought since they will get 'visibility'

Last edited:
Hi Dan,I think it would be interesting to have a category just related to gas,eg,gas safety registered engineers,gas questions,regulations etc.

technical forum,
pictures of items, quick fix methods etc. we can post our own work/jobs and how we tackled them.
ccommon faults. you know what i mean a bit like a members derived 'haynes' manual.
then daft questions wont be asked and we can refer to them when explaining.

Basic knowledge about combi and shower installation requirements i.e. water pressures and flow rates.

Most of that info is in the books we should all have.

what id like more tips on is making good. sometimes its 90% of a plumbing job.

Hi Dan
what about a forum for plumbing around the world I notice that we have members who are returning to england with a wealth of knowledge, and for omeone thinking of emigrating it may prove usefull
Regards
Mike

From my experiance on forums i have found that questions answered are portrayed with the asker having knowledge of the kit. Not always the case. I suggest a more in depth explanation of the answer to help the asker. If the asker had the knowledge he would not need to be off & on the forum. Hope this helps.

All noted. :) Keep them coming and I'll sort through them later in the week. Thanks for your time people.

Hi Dan,I think it would be interesting to have a category just related to gas,eg,gas safety registered engineers,gas questions,regulations etc.

We sort of have that? [DLMURL]http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/gas-safety-register-forum/[/DLMURL]

Perhaps I change the title of the forum a bit?

Cheers
Andy

I've heard this one before somewhere. :) Noted.

A tricks of the trade forum for hints and tips

I'd like to think the whole forum is a sort of tips and tricks forum. If you guys use "Tips" in the title of a thread, it becomes a clickable / searchable link at the bottom of that thread, and it'll show you all other threads with "Tips" in the title. Therefore making it eash to search for tips, if they're posted in the right related existing forum. Rather than having to look through all the tips forum for your tip, and then ending up looking in the main forums anyway?

Generally, if you have this information, please do post a new thread on it in the main forum and title it "How-To: Blah Blah Blah" or something. And if you're looking for such info, ask about it. Though the whole forum should be used for that sort of thing. And keeping all that sort of stuff in the right categories keeps it easier to search for it I think.

technical forum,
pictures of items, quick fix methods etc. we can post our own work/jobs and how we tackled them.
ccommon faults. you know what i mean a bit like a members derived 'haynes' manual.
then daft questions wont be asked and we can refer to them when explaining.

Again, post that sort of stuff in the main plumbing forum and title it well, and you'll get the most interest / replies to it in there then.

Perhaps I can make some thread prefixes for some of this stuff so you can see what's marked as what in the main plumbing forums.

I'll show you guys. :)

Hi Dan
what about a forum for plumbing around the world I notice that we have members who are returning to england with a wealth of knowledge, and for omeone thinking of emigrating it may prove usefull
Regards
Mike

This has been said on the sparky forum, and we had something similar on the tilersforum once. Though I think those coming back with info, should just contribute if they fancy it to the normal threads. And those wishing to emegrate, should post it in the main plumbing forum perhasps, if their asking about plumbing overseas - sort of thing?

Last edited:
As a newly qualified Gas engineer a forum dedicated to this would be helpfu l:)

From my experiance on forums i have found that questions answered are portrayed with the asker having knowledge of the kit. Not always the case. I suggest a more in depth explanation of the answer to help the asker. If the asker had the knowledge he would not need to be off & on the forum. Hope this helps.

I think your experience on forums have been pretty fair then. As a forum isn't just a questions and answer website, it's a forum, which by definition means 'open discussion'. So we want people to simply respond, we don't mind the length, some replies warrant large lengths, some don't. Though if there is a reply you don't understand a forum gives you the chance to get the poster to reiterate that, a questions and answers website perhaps wouldn't.

How about job vacancies for trainee plumbers?

I've added a new forum as a sub-forum in the main plumbing category. Titled "I'm looking for a plumber" - and it's for contractors and customers, and I'll do some example posts later, and add some decent title prefixes so it's clear what sort of job each offer is. And I'll include a trainee prefix. :)

Manufacturers training info (their own in-house courses if they do them). Good route for forum sponsorship I would have thought since they will get 'visibility'

http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/plumbing-courses/3545-manufacturer-training-courses.html#post17354

I've posted a thread for now, and if it gets busy, I'll make it a forum category. Though I'm not too sure who can collate the information from the manufacturers. Perhaps I can find some info online somewhere.

Last edited:
hi does anyone know where i can purchase a wrap round water tank to improve out put from my rayburn royal r/h oven there are 2 types a stage 2 and stage 3 the latter increases it to about 35000 btus

I think your experience on forums have been pretty fair then. As a forum isn't just a questions and answer website, it's a forum, which by definition means 'open discussion'. So we want people to simply respond, we don't mind the length, some replies warrant large lengths, some don't. Though if there is a reply you don't understand a forum gives you the chance to get the poster to reiterate that, a questions and answers website perhaps wouldn't.

I've added a new forum as a sub-forum in the main plumbing category. Titled "I'm looking for a plumber" - and it's for contractors and customers, and I'll do some example posts later, and add some decent title prefixes so it's clear what sort of job each offer is. And I'll include a trainee prefix. :)

http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/plumbing-courses/3545-manufacturer-training-courses.html#post17354

I've posted a thread for now, and if it gets busy, I'll make it a forum category. Though I'm not too sure who can collate the information from the manufacturers. Perhaps I can find some info online somewhere.

I am happy to do a round robin of the manufactureres if this helps - bcp.

Presumably with access limited only to those who hold current Gas Safe registration. Good idea! I am always happy to learn/share my experiences.

It seems by the number of mails the forum gets about pressure and flow. The forum could do with a few pointers for people about the difference. In point there are loads of things you could put on.

For instance what is a Wobbe number and how does it affect gas servicing?
And loads of things like that.

Safety aspects: What are the basic electrical tests required after repairing a boiler?

What is a thermistor? What is a gas train?

All basic stuff but helpful to understanding for the beginner perhaps?

Dont know if this has been mentioned elsewhere, how about an opinion poll catergory. Would include material preference's etc

Sounds like a good idea...Lets have an opinion poll to see how many members want an opinion poll ;)

how about a hints and tips forum,not waiting for a how do you sort this? post but just a quick and easy way to do things type forum

plumbers daily diary

most of us should have that in our heads as it is every day plumbing

plumbers daily diary where we can examine and explain the ins and outs of being a plumber

Last edited by a moderator:
how about a hints and tips forum,not waiting for a how do you sort this? post but just a quick and easy way to do things type forum
I 2nd jpm's hint's and tips forum not the problem solving kind which the whole site is (as has previously been mentioned), but rather for those little old gems that should be passed on from generation to generation! for instance... using a matchstick to seal a leak in a lead pipe, syphoning a hot water storage cylinder, linking washing machine hot and cold supplies to free an airlock, using bread when soldering a pipe with water in it, quick way to measure and run pipework or hang a rad, to mention just a few

l know some may not be relevant to alot of what we do today but i still feel these little gems give newbies an insight into the genious of some solutions we all know this industry discovers aswell as giving great practical tips and advice!

I think we should have a new forum category on how to explain to your partner or wife that we are in pain when we fall off a ladder,cut our hand and get acid flux in it,not able to wash out coz water off,smash our head on a low pipe in the boiler room fall of your bike and can not walk for four days,ect
coz all I get when I limp in the house,apart from the kids demanding money off me for a night out, is the wife standing there ,looking at me like I am a real wimp,saying think you are in pain,you men do not know what it means,try giving birth to two or three of you ungreatful,selfish kids,thats pain,your pathetic,
God knows what will happen when I get man flue !
Please help
:-0

Hi,
I think we should have a forum on oil boilers eg. installation, servicing and fault finding:)

Septic tanks, and private water supply, could be another one

I looooved septic tanks, and any thing to do with them

Septic tanks, and private water supply, could be another one

I looooved septic tanks, and any thing to do with them

Do'nt you mean french septic tanks and french private water supplies ;)

Was out last night and waiter asked me if I wanted french fries,just could'nt ,went for boiled patatoes :p

Well the French did invent the first septic tank, according to Wiki, and in 1853 the French had potable water piped to the city of Lyon, by Général des Eaux, beats the MWB by 51 years

But all joking apart, where in the UK can you see the latest monthly report on the condition of the water supplied by the company, posted with a full detailed analysis

I would not recommend French fries that's an American term, Moules and Frits thats a good Belgique meal, they love frits, a good kilo of Moules boiled in a white wine, together with some chopped chives, with a few frits, with a nice Muscadet sur lies, not to sweet nor too dry avec un baguette du pain, to mop up the juice, loverly :D

Talking about septic tanks or fosse septiques, I used to like any thing to do with them, the installation, the drainage from them, very fascinating, private water supplies was another subject I liked doing, I have done a few of them whilst stuck out in the wilds of Cornwall, one supply I looked at was so acidic Ph if I remember right 3.7, would eat out an aluminium kettle within 6 months from new:eek:

hey guys its very hard to find technical plumbing drawings on the web how about getting some posted dan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can you suggest a new forum category? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock