Search the forum,

Discuss Can you suggest a new forum category? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fault Finding Combi's

RENEWABLE ENERGY!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a massive market and we need to embrace this exciting new technology that is going to make engineers ££££££££ especially the young ones.

Encouraging conversation on this would be very helpful.

Combined disciplines. ie Plumbing and electrics.

Need a part P assessment (£500) before you're able to apply to the elecsa competent persons scheme register (another £370+VAT). They then send an inspector to 'your regular place of work' (how they do that with self employed plumbers working from home I have no idea) to inspect your installations, H&S proceedures, complaints proceedures, paper work on previously done installations (12 mouths previous work done without part P????) and your books (17th editon, building reg's, etc)

Turns out, even if you have part P registration, if you are a Plumber fitting an electric shower in a bathroom, because bathrooms, kitchens and outside the property has been deemed 'special zones' you can only fit a replacement shower 'like for like' but to install a new electric shower and run the electrical cable to feel the power straight from the CU (as it should be) you have to be a qualified 17th editon electician.

So you either:-
find a good electrician you can trust to turn up at the job and use them to install all your electrics, all the time (bang goes your profit).
Take time out to become an electrician AS WELL.
Tell the customer the work needs to be notified to the authorities before work can start and it will have to be inspected at conciderable cost to the job (bang goes your profit and the job to larger firm with their own electricans).
Or You can keep turning electric shower installation work down and if it's to be included in a FULL bathroom suite installation, slowly go out of business in the process.

The obvious one in this day and age is Renewable Energy.

Theres so many 'plumbing and heating' guys getting in to renewables, and they have plenty of questions.

"I've got a customer wants to get rid of the boiler and has asked about a heat pump, what do I do?"

"How much water will them solar panel thingies heat? Do they work at night?" (yes, I HAVE been asked that one!)

Yes, I have more of a foot in renewables cos I do the technical for a company, but its about the only growth area in heating at the moment. (we might even ask about sponsoring the site, who knows ;)

Just a thought!

A category just for oil fired equipment. There is one for gas, but not oil.

I'd second that (or third?) for a separate oil section.

Also, an idea for sticky threads and FAQs. There are many posts about the simpler things like radiators not working or WCs letting by.

If there was a SEPARATE non forum page of links to about 25 plumbing areas (non working radiator, WC letting by, water hammer, blocked sink, etc) for these then many guests might find a page of these useful, but with a non edited (locked) thread giving various solutions. I'm not talking about sticky threads at the top of the main forum pages but a different page altogether as I sometimes feel there are too many sticky threads.

For example: Cold Radiator

There would be a thread on the main forum for a couple of weeks or so, giving the main clues as to solving a radiator not working and members would add their comments. After the fortnight (or month?) the thread would be removed from the main forum. Names of contributors would be removed, the thread edited by one of our esteemed administrators, and then put on to this new page.

I've probably not explained myself very well but if you re-read the above a few times you might see what I'm getting at.

Old threads such as you say should be deleted after a certain timescale to free up server space or the administrators will find the hosting charges going up to pay for old stuff.

Not a category, but would it be possible to have a button added to every thread that you can click and the thread is stored on your profile so you can follow certain threads and also save them for future reference, similar to ebay where you click ADD TO WATCH LIST and you track the listing

I think we should have a new forum category on how to explain to your partner or wife that we are in pain when we fall off a ladder,cut our hand and get acid flux in it,not able to wash out coz water off,smash our head on a low pipe in the boiler room fall of your bike and can not walk for four days,ect
coz all I get when I limp in the house,apart from the kids demanding money off me for a night out, is the wife standing there ,looking at me like I am a real wimp,saying think you are in pain,you men do not know what it means,try giving birth to two or three of you ungreatful,selfish kids,thats pain,your pathetic,
God knows what will happen when I get man flue !
Please help
:-0
theres an answer to the age old women know real pain statement
a kick in the balls is much more painfull than childbirth
you dont see men a year later saying i think its time for another kick in the balls
case proven

you can opt to subscribe to a thread by selecting at the top 'thread tools' and selecting 'subscribe to this thread...'

It should show up in your profile pages then

you can opt to subscribe to a thread by selecting at the top 'thread tools' and selecting 'subscribe to this thread...'

It should show up in your profile pages then

just tried this and it just stores it with all the other threads uve posted on, would be better if you had a separate list on your profile

how about a section where we can moan about the general public, out of sight of the main forum . . .

Sometimes it is a bit painful when we have a post going, ripping our customers to shreds, but its on the main forum where people are asking us questions.

Call me old fasion, but I think the least we can do is talk about them behind their backs!

how about a section where we can moan about the general public, out of sight of the main forum . . .

Sometimes it is a bit painful when we have a post going, ripping our customers to shreds, but its on the main forum where people are asking us questions.

Call me old fasion, but I think the least we can do is talk about them behind their backs!

We have that already called the 'Plumbers Arms'...............get yourself joined...................restricted to trade use only

:):)

[DLMURL]http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/plumbers-arms/[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
just tried this and it just stores it with all the other threads uve posted on, would be better if you had a separate list on your profile

You need to go into your settings and select that no threads are subscribed to by default and then you can manually select what to subscribe to if and when required, any probs let me know and I will explain in more detail

Having been chatting to baltimoreplumber this morning, how about a section for our plumbing cousins around the world, Afterall we are on the world wide web and if you do I would like to offer my services as the international moderator so you can send me to meet these guys in person and welcome them to the forum???

do you need a guide for that unguided1 ? if so ill volunteer and make all the necessary sacrifices

Lol bugger off Bod I asked first!!!!
Looking at some of the answers I give on this forum I am more than happy to go blundering in with out training or being registered with any professional associations, unguided by name unguided by nature!!!!!!

just had a thought May be the Administrators could organise some sort of trade show, paid for by the sponsors, who could show their latest kit and all us members could meet each other, If so I will be found flat on me back at the Guinness stand

just had a thought May be the Administrators could organise some sort of trade show, paid for by the sponsors, who could show their latest kit and all us members could meet each other, If so I will be found flat on me back at the Guinness stand

That's a good idea. I used to chat on a different bulletin board (stock market stuff) and there were various meetings throughout the country during the year (about one annually in each area) and a Christmas do in London. My "local" one was for West Midlands and we used to go to a Chinese restaurant in Stratford.

Not sure how well it would work with this forum though as the forum I used to be on had at least 1,000 regular subscribers and one of the objects of meeting up was to talk to each other about different ways of trading and stuff like that. In the plumbing world we tend to do this at the local merchants instead.

Perhaps we could do an hour's chat/mini seminar on a topic, e.g. electrics and central heating or (the dreaded) MCS stuff and how to get going in renewables or a soldering competition as per that plumbing apprentice programme?

That's a good idea. I used to chat on a different bulletin board (stock market stuff) and there were various meetings throughout the country during the year (about one annually in each area) and a Christmas do in London. My "local" one was for West Midlands and we used to go to a Chinese restaurant in Stratford.

Not sure how well it would work with this forum though as the forum I used to be on had at least 1,000 regular subscribers and one of the objects of meeting up was to talk to each other about different ways of trading and stuff like that. In the plumbing world we tend to do this at the local merchants instead.

Perhaps we could do an hour's chat/mini seminar on a topic, e.g. electrics and central heating or (the dreaded) MCS stuff and how to get going in renewables or a soldering competition as per that plumbing apprentice programme?

I like the idea of all the above more so if its at a curry house, as for a soldering competition I would bring me *** lighter to that

well Bod I might even let you buy me a pint if thats your builders bum in the pic!!!!!!

How about a separate forum section for oil fired? There's one for gas but nothing for oil.

With my smelly oil head on, yeah. Oil fired forum pwetty pleeeeeeeeeaase!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can you suggest a new forum category? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock