Search the forum,

Discuss Cannot refill boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

trixta99

Hi All

Hopefully somebody here can help me as my regular plumber keeps letting me down

I have a Vaillant ecotec plus 837 boiler and I caanot get it to refill. I emptyed the system to install a new radiator valve but when I tried to refill the system its not doing anything.

I have turned both of the grey switches under the boiler but I cannot get it to refill. I could not hear the water going into the boiler so I disconnected the silver flexi pipe on the filling loop and turned the right grey switch and water came through. When reconnecting the silver flexi pipe, the water does not seem to be going into the boiler.

I have not had hot water for 4 days now as my plumber keeps saying he will try and make time (he is the one who installed this boiler which is now about about 4 yrs old)

Also not sure if this is connected to this issue but on my control unit (in living room) it also has a message saying "service heat genrator" - this message was not showing before.

Is there any thing I can try to do myself to fill system or am I at the mercy of my plumber and when he has time for me

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi trixta,

Perhaps you are just turning the knobs instead the valve.
You could take both handles off via a chrome cross headed screw and try then with a spanner to turn you should then here water filling.

Maybe you could also upload a picture of the filling loop

Firstly as Matchless.plumb says you could be just turning the plastic and not the valve. Try turning a quarter turn with a spanner. Unfortunately sometimes the valve its self can become blocked. If that happens you will have to get a Gas Safe Engineer to look at it. The message saying " service heat generator" is your boiler. Have you had it serviced recently? if you have get them to pop back and reset the service schedule. If not your boiler needs servicing.

Thanks Moonlight & Matchless for your quick replies

It is due a service in July but will get it done asap

I took off both handles and tried with a spanner but unfortunatley no joy!

I have uploaded pics of my filling loop.

IMG_0179.JPG

IMG_0180.JPG

which end of the flexi did you disconnect? Left hand as we look at the picture or the right? Just re-read your post. Ignore this

Have you turned off any other valves?
do you get water from your hot and cold taps?
Any pressure showing on the boiler gauge?

Moonlight - left hand and water came out wen i turned the handle on the right.

Scott- it saying 0.4 bar on the digital display and I get water from hot and cold taps (although hot tap water is not 'hot')
I havnt touched any othet valves.

Have you ever topped it up before?
Could it be you just have poor water pressure and its very slow to fill or 0.4 is the max you can get?

Scott - I have topped up in the past but the last time was prob over 6 months ago. Its not moving from 0.4 but it was at that when I emptyed via radiator.

If your boiler was reading .4bar before you drained the radiator, just allowing water into the new radiator the pressure should have dropped. Did it not change?

Moonlight - sorry I meant after draining it went to 0.4 before draining it was at 1.7

It should have gone to zero when drined.
Have you managed to get from zero to 0.4?

No it just went to 0.4 when drained (maybe I didnt drain properly). I drained via the valve on a radiator by my front door.
So its not increasing but not sure how to decrease either!

do you hear any water going in, sounds like the normal valiant fault

Shaun - cant hear water going in.

What is the normal Vaillant fault?

Moonlight - radaitor i worked on, unable to fill (it was just a leaky valve I changed)

hope you understand but i cant tell you, as you might try and fix it yourself

best get a gas safe engy out and get it serviced slightly earlier

What I ment was did you vent the radiator? If you did the pressure should have dropped more. I is likely a sensor is faulty. Which will need to be repaired by your gas safe engineer

Moonlight - yes I did vent the rad but no it didnt change anything.

Shaun - I understand

Thanks everyone for all your replies - I will just wait until my plumber decides to turn up - hopefully tomorrow, if not I will try another Gas Safe engineer

You can get any gas safe engineer it does not have to be the person who installed your boiler. Good luck.

Update-
Just thought I would let you know, called a different plumber around and he fixed my issue.

The service cock was blocked (the part where the filling loop goes into) as he couldnt get hold of a new part locally the same day, he cleaned it & boiler refilled and is heating up water again.

Also booked a service with him too.

Thanks for all the tips & advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cannot refill boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock