Search the forum,

Discuss Can't stop tiny trickle into Pan in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

allanwhyte77

Hi Forum, Thanks in advance to any advice offered. I've been battling with a new close coupled toilet I've recently installed. The toilet came with badly translated instructions but I finally figured them out and got it all put together. It's one of these toilets where the plastic fixing bolts go through the cistern. I noticed there was a constant slow stream into the pan. I took it all to bits and tightened everything up further, still the same, so after about 5 attempts of tightning everything up I applyed silicone sealant and gave it 24 hours to dry.

The stream of water was still happening. I'd imagine at this point, the water would fill a teaspoon in about a couple of hours. At this point I decided to replace all the internal parts with a fluidmaster kit, new dounut and metal fixing kit.I stripped off all of silicone I'd applyed earlier. Fitted the new parts, tightened it all up and still leaked a bit into the pan so took it to bits again and applied a bead of plumbers gold around the inside of the cistern underneath the flush valve.

The trickle is still happening all be it tiny. I put food colouring in the sistern but no colouring was in the pan 24 hours later. I then flushed the toilet a few times to clear it of the colouring, left it 24 hours then dried the pan to make sure it was completely dry. I taped a single sheet of toilet paper against the wall of the pan where it was leaking and left it overnight.

The sheet of toilet paper had a 2" patch of dampness on it. Is this amount of leakage a concern that I should be bothered about as I can't seem to resolve it any further? I'm on a water meter. Sorry if I've been a bit long winded in the post.

Is this WC from a budget outlet ? as it may not comply with water regs .

I bought it on ebay. It only cost ÂŁ114. It's a short projection toilet for a cloakroom.

Got the opposite problem..got two grandsons (not from ebay)...and we can't stop the tiny trickles missing the pan!!

:confused5:

Think your problem now is, can you return it if faulty ? can you get spare parts for it, had similar problem with customer bought is own wc. Chinese import, because of fittings in cistern local water board says its illegal to fit onto mains water supply, ok if you have your own supply (well] you want to find out you could be in for large fine if it creates a problem

Think your problem now is, can you return it if faulty ? can you get spare parts for it, had similar problem with customer bought is own wc. Chinese import, because of fittings in cistern local water board says its illegal to fit onto mains water supply, ok if you have your own supply (well] you want to find out you could be in for large fine if it creates a problem

What if you change all the fittings inside the cistern? Just interested that`s all.

I have changed all the fittings in the cistern. Far eastern stuff not complying to U.K. regs better take my Sony t.v. back to John Lewis then and everything else I've bought in the last 10 years.

I have changed all the fittings in the cistern. Far eastern stuff not complying to U.K. regs better take my Sony t.v. back to John Lewis then and everything else I've bought in the last 10 years.
Its obvious that you don't know the risks involved or the problems of fitting non-approved items to the water supplies that you could cause, why do you think it take us years of learning to know about these things, You see plumbing is not just about joining pipes together we have a lot to do with the health of every one who uses or disposes of water, And that is one of the reasons we give out free advise so people don't make BIG MISTAKES and cause health problems, We don't mind people having a go at doing things, we hope that we can guide people in the right direction and one is the folly of buying non-approved goods

I've replaced all the parts, only the toilet and cistern haven't been.Any advice on the leak ?

Take it to the dump, or you try and return it !! [ good luck with that] go to local plumbers merchants and buy an approved WC suite you will more than likely find it cheaper than the rubbish you got from eBay

We're talking about a faulty syphon or flush valve as they call them these days.
Either get back onto whoever you bought it from for a replacement and argue about it for 3 months or just buy a new one either 1 1/2" or 2" to suit whatever hole is in the cistern.

Thanks Tamz first post to offer me any practical advice !! I'm sure wras wouldn't' have a solution to Oor Wullies leaking bucket

I'd isolated the water and emptied the cistern again, it's still attached to the toilet and is completely dry inside and has been for 2 hours and the trickle is still happening. Where can it be coming from?

Its quite clear you have a faulty imported unit, have you been in contact with person you got it from [if you can] honest your wasting your time , Local merchants for a proper approved unit.

I'd isolated the water and emptied the cistern again, it's still attached to the toilet and is completely dry inside and has been for 2 hours and the trickle is still happening. Where can it be coming from?

Just to get this right, the water is turned off and the cistern has been dry for 2hrs but you still have a trickle of water running in to the pan, is that what your saying? If so we need photos of the toilet and all the connected pipes because ceramics don`t produce water regardless of which country they are made in.

jts, can you answer post #6? it is relevent to my work.

Just to get this right, the water is turned off and the cistern has been dry for 2hrs but you still have a trickle of water running in to the pan, is that what your saying? If so we need photos of the toilet and all the connected pipes because ceramics don`t produce water regardless of which country they are made in.

That was my thought. Isolated and empty cistern still producing water. Get it patented, you've just solved the world's water crisis...

Strong smell of fish in this thread... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
jts, can you answer post #6? it is relevent to my work.

You will need to contact your local water supplier with make of wc and where It came from final decision is down to them

You will need to contact your local water supplier with make of wc and where It came from final decision is down to them

You missed the point mate, it`s work related and I`m struggling to understand where your coming from re the ceramics and the water regs.

You missed the point mate, it`s work related and I`m struggling to understand where your coming from re the ceramics and the water regs.

Like I told OP, had same problem with customer that purchased wc suite from DIY out- let [Chinese import] was told not to connect it to water or main drainage , just telling him check it out B4 he fits it, [non-approved goods,] every thing we fit has to meet certain standards

Is it a push button flush on top? Could be sticking pegs from the knob to the valve. Shouldn't need silicon anywhere with proper fittings

Yeah understand that as per post #5 and the fittings also understand the BS & EN regs. Don`t understand how you can be so quick to say dump the ceramics because of trickle of water.

So what's your answer to water still running if tank is empty and water off ??

So what's your answer to water still running if tank is empty and water off ??

Please don`t do a politician on me by answering a question with a question and jumping forward 20 posts to a dry cistern. I`m trying to find out if you know something I don`t as I attend to macerators which according to customers are self ativating when it`s always down to a trickle of water from cistern to pan which is stopped by either cleaning or replacing the syhon valve or in rare instances a crack in the ceramics.

Please don`t do a politician on me by answering a question with a question and jumping forward 20 posts to a dry cistern. I`m trying to find out if you know something I don`t as I attend to macerators which according to customers are self ativating when it`s always down to a trickle of water from cistern to pan which is stopped by either cleaning or replacing the syhon valve or in rare instances a crack in the ceramics.

That's me getting in some practice for upcoming elections, think this is some sort of wined up by OP , reply was asking if what he has bought complies with standards, cos I had same problem with imported wc and water board would-not permit any of it to be connected, unless you were off main drainage / water supply

Where does the OP live, if in London I want to come over and see this badboy in person.. I'll get my face in the paper, become famous and rich beyond my wildest dreams :) mwah ha ha haaaaaaaa

Seriously though, allanwhyte77, where are you based? If the water has been properly isolated and the cistern is dry and you've emptied the pan it's pretty miraculous that water is still leaking into the pan.

Disconnect the water inlet pipe (while still isolated) and see if that's letting by. I would normally assume the siphon (flush valve) to be the culprit but if the cistern is dry then *shrugs shoulders* something strange is happening at the ranch.

Are you sure there is no residual water between the cistern/pan that is clearing itself very slowly??? Maybe around the doughnut or something.

Have you looked up?

This thread reminds me of the miracle of peckham episode of only fools when Del convinces everyone the virgin mary statue cries when really it's a leak dripping down from the ceiling

:)

take the cisten of the pan prop it up so its sitting level a workmate is perfect then fill with water leave for a couple of hours and see it the water is coming out of the inside or outside of the bottom of the connectorout side its not sealed properly inside it faulty overtightening can distort the seatings

Are you sure there is no residual water between the cistern/pan that is clearing itself very slowly??? Maybe around the doughnut or something.

That's my thought as well. Carp Chinese casting causing water to lay somewhere and slowly leak out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can't stop tiny trickle into Pan in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock