Search the forum,

Discuss Captcha on Registration in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sarkduck

The captcha at registration is ridiculous. Had to refresh about 100 times just to vaguely even guess at one.

if it stops even one spammer it is a good thing. welcome along

If you had to deal with the amount of spammers and trolls we do on a daily basis to keep the UKPF in its acclaimed position as the best plumbing forum on t'interweb bar none you wouldn't complain.

Wlecome to the forum.

Welcome sarduck.

On the other issue, I guess it's a matter of finding the right balance between keeping the spammers and suchlike out, whilst not scaring off the proper potential members.

Glad it's not me that has that thankless task.

Thanks for the welcome.

I appreciate the difficulty in preventing spammers gaining access to the forums (and incidentally, there are a number of scripts that spambots can use to still bypass these kinds of captchas) but it's undoubtedly going to keeping legitimate members away as well.

There are a number of alternatives to captcha that are even more harder for automated spammers to crack whilst simple for real humans.

Here are a few examples:-

This contact form requests a sum.
This demo uses an interactive game.
This blog uses a puzzle related to their target audience.
This enquiry form requires any two random digits.
This [DLMURL="http://confidenttechnologies.com/Confident_CAPTCHA_Demo"]demo[/DLMURL] uses picture recognition.
Many other varieties and ways to handle this. And some in-depth conversation on this.

Perhaps you could use a basic plumbing diagram/question instead - heh.

Anyway, food for thought...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Captcha on Registration in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Can anyone recommend a decent multi meter, preferably under a 100 pounds. It's for checking boiler components so I don't need a top spec one ....just easy to use and reliable. The fluke 115 looks good but its above my budget. My current socket and see one was great but it's developed a fault.
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock