Search the forum,

Discuss Central Heating Issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I wonder if anyone can help me on the following issue I have with my central heating system

I have a Worcester Greenstar 24rsi (installed 2013) powering 9 older rads on my 1930s semi. It’s an open vented cylinder system with a Honeywell programmer.

I have had my bathroom done and in the process I had a towel radiator fitted to the system. Since then I have had only three rads warming up properly. The new rad was piped directly into the bedroom rad with 1.5 copper pipe and is red hot, as is the bedroom rad that the plumber plumbed the towel radiator to.

The fill pipes to all the rads are too hot to touch but the majority of the rads don’t get hot at all. There is also an almost constant popping / banging noise across the system, particularly prominent when the system turns on but is also there when the system has been on for hours too.

Have tried balancing but that hasn’t worked. The banging noise doesn’t seem to be the pipes hitting against tight floorboards, it is definitely coming from within the radiators.

I do not have independent control of the hot water, both that and the heating need to be turned on for the system to work. I am getting that sorted and also a new cylinder stat as that wasn’t working either.

Bit stuck on this so wondered if anyone had any advice?

Thanks a lot in advance

Hi
You probably have a one pipe heating system. When extending to an extra radiator, the loop needs relocation and extending to the new rad.
If this has not been done, it will never work. Generally, only plumbers over 40 would have experience of this.

OK thanks a lot for replying. My current plumber is a young lad so coukd explain it! Is it fixable or should I look at changing to a 2 pipe system? Thanks again

Sounds like you have a air lock in the system left from your recent towel rail install , turn off the rads that do get hot and all the others except one fire up the heating and vent the rad till hot open up one at a time venting each one in turn this should clear the air. Kop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Central Heating Issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock