Search the forum,

Discuss Central heating pressure loss in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I have a ideal logic 30kw system boiler runnong central heating and underfloor heating and an invented tank.
The boiler has always lost pressure to a degree but now it's worse than ever.
I've fitted isolators downstairs so I can turn that off and it still loses pressure. With the UFH isolated it still loses pressure. I have checked 90% of the pipework and fittings upstairs and I can't see a leak. All rad valves etc. I have pressurised to 2 bar and turned boiler off no leaks.
Left an aerosol lid under the prv pipe and it's bone dry.
It was losing a small amount then recently 0.2 bar a day. Now about 0.5 a day. It seems to lose more pressure when the ufh is on but I think k that's just because it stays on for longer periods.
Last week I put 2 bar in and isolated boiler,waited several hours for condensate to dry up then left an aerosol id under the condensate drain.
It filled the lid to approx 30mm deep overnight.
I feel it's the heat exchanger, and I'm looking at a new boiler because I have run out of ideas....
Any help would be great!!!!

I gather its out of warrenty, if so , you can just get the heat ex changed . It also might be worth talking to ideal to do a “fixed price repair”

It's well out of Warranty, I tried calling a couple of places and they're out of stock, I'm sure I read somewhere that's they're obsolete!!!

Ideal heat exchanger nope they haven't stopped making them

Phone ideal up and ask them how much for a replacement I'm sure they have a fixed price repair

Has it got extra an expansion vessel or just the 8l internal?

Having same problem from one I installed in 09 just keeps losing pressure and no explanation of where its going, Ideal Tec tell me its main heat Ex , price of part + labour to replace don't think they cover this on fixed price repair, find out today what cost of part is, may be more cost effective to replace boiler

I got a price for a vailant 30kw I might go for That but I'm half expecting it to still lose a bit of pressue when it's done!!!
At least I'll know where to look!

Why not get someone to check the heat exchanger before fitting a new boiler?
Should be pretty obvious if it's gone

Forgive me if I'm missing something but I don't see what somebody else is going to check on the heat exchanger that I haven't already done?
It seems worse at some times, last night only lost about .3 bar and today it's lost about 1 bar.
Still no marks in the ceiling and I've 're checked some of the connections

Forgive me if I'm missing something but I don't see what somebody else is going to check on the heat exchanger that I haven't already done?
It seems worse at some times, last night only lost about .3 bar and today it's lost about 1 bar.
Still no marks in the ceiling and I've 're checked some of the connections

I dont advocate anybody who is not gas safe touching their boiler but you have done it correctly. I would have done exactly the same

You haven't yet confirmed its the heat exchanger?
By removing a couple of parts this can be confirmed

I had a main hex leaking a few weeks ago...well i can only assume it was as it wasnt leaking when cold. Must of only.been leaking when hot. £310 hex and hours work and no call back or pressure drop as yet. Boiler was only.4 years old.

I had a main hex leaking a few weeks ago...well i can only assume it was as it wasnt leaking when cold. Must of only.been leaking when hot. £310 hex and hours work and no call back or pressure drop as yet. Boiler was only.4 years old.
Was it out of warranty ? was it an Ideal Logic ?

I was having the same kind of problem (I also have some underfloor) with a 9 month old top the range Vaillant before Christmas. It was installed by Vaillant themselves with 10 year warranty.

In a two week period it lost operating pressure and switched off on 4 occasions. It sometimes happened when switched off and sometimes during the day. Mostly when cold.

Vaillant could not find a fault and told me to have my system checked over and flushed. I did nothing. I am quite sure there are no leaks. It happened a couple more times. Then it stopped happening. I complained to Vaillant and they have promised that if it happens again I will get 5* treatment!

I already raised this issue on here and people suggested a secondary
expansion vessel. I never needed one with previous (Glowworm) boiler...

It’s not all that reassuring because I want to be able to trust the system to switch on after being away using the holiday programmer.

Always worth checking the charge in the expansion vessel. If it's charged higher than the cold pressure then you only need to lose a relatively small amount of water to drop the pressure down to 0.5 bar or whatever the height of your system is above the guage. It wouldn't blow off when hot so that issue usually gets overlooked. And of course it only happens if there is indeed a small leak.

**update**
Friday I had a new boiler fitted. (Vaillant ecotec).
Since then, the pressure has been much more stable, only dropping the amount that might be expected when the whole system has been drained..
're checked this morning, and it doesn't appear to have lost any pressure at All, before it was losing at least half a bar overnight.
So it looks like the heat exchanger was the problem...
1st impressions of the boiler are that it's so quiet I struggle to hear it!!!

Thanks for all the valued replies...

Why when it's a leak on your system and not the boiler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Central heating pressure loss in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and plasterboard celling. I have got unvented pressurized RM Cylinders hot water system with 27KW Worchester gas boiler with expansion vessels . When...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Can central heating / gas engineer expert help me with below issue. During winter time only, I have been having issue with low pressure or pressure dropping with unvented hot water cylinder system. During summer time there is no usage of central heating so the pressure at unvented system is not...
Replies
Views
I have an 8 year old Potterton HE Gold combi boiler losing pressure. I have isolated the central heating to leave just water heating and it is fine. As soon as the central heating is introduced the pressure drops to zero within an hour. I have had floor boards etc up but cannot find a leak...
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this could be as a result of us noticing the sound more when there is less environmental noise). Unfortunately, it is severely disrupting our sleep, so we...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, we have a back combi heater. Whenever the heating comes on it seems to lose pressure within a few hours and I have to refill each morning. The boiler seems to function well, and the pressure only drops with the heating and not the water being on. Ie it started last winter and was then...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock